How'd it go today?

For the broken stone, clean the both sides, removing the small stone fragments which impair a tight matching. Warm and dry both sides with a torch (gently) hair dryer or what you want.
Then, epoxy glue on both sides. Not too much to avoid drooling, but enough to do the job. The little warming makes it more fluid, so the broken piece fits well and doesn't slide nor tilt, and it speeds the curing too.
Put the piece "first try" to get a good layer of glue with the smallest amount of bubbles. Hold the piece with no move at all, at least a good hour, more would be better if you can strap it (duct tape, sling ...), and you should be good.

Snow on the way ,I'm ready for it .Repaired the starter switch on the tractor ,put the blade back on ,5 gallons of gas in the tank and a case and a half of Budweiser in the fridge .

If it passes by all the better .If we get dumped on and snowed in I guess I'll chase a fat woman around the house .

Went for a quick climb and knock down of a beauty of a willow...well what was left after a big trunk ripped off. Left the boys to clean up so I could come home and take care of D while Amy's in town for a few hours. Got some good pics and video. Its a beauty. After returning D to Amy's care, I'll go Put On Ground Only a decent sized maple, climbing dismantle, for some friends. They're in for a heck of a mess, but that's what they want. He's at least taken tomorrow off of work to work on the mess.

Was invited to a venison dinner at a local estate. Big estate. Owned by Morton Fuller, (International Salt Company). Food was good. It was held in the Big Game House on the estate.
2013-03-24_13-14-26_968_zps3af4faa0.jpg

2013-03-24_13-14-18_296_zpsee40fde2.jpg

2013-03-24_12-18-56_178_zps231f0538.jpg

Tomorrow I'm off for the mainland for a couple of days to finish ( hopefully) the ash project.
The largest ash in the country is among the resistant ones, so I'll be climbing that tomorow, to harvest grafting stock.
That should make for a fun climb:)

I don't know.
I've never seen it, but the biologist in charge of the project told me it was the Danish champion ash.
It sure would be nice if that one was among the few hundred survirvors.

They are being wiped out all over, right now.
First the elms now the ashes. We only had about 10 native species of hardwood to begin with, so losing 2 within 20 years is a big blow.

How many of those beers did you drink already?
Well obviously 12 else there would be two full cases.None today if that's what your asking but soon the sun will be low in the western sky and I shall indeed partake of several .3 maybe 4 .

They're calling for 6-7 inchs of snow tonight .It's not supposed to get that cold ,high 20s' with 20-30 MPH winds so it could drift .It'll be gone in a few days most likely .

Now those ash in Denmark I have no idea how big .I've dropped a few hundred footers in the last several years at around 36" butt .Nice lumber trees but I don't think they are giants .

There's a fat one about 200 feet back in the woods that abuts to mine I have permission to clear out all the dead .It will take me several days just to clear out the other dead ones to even get back to it .It's got a lot of firewood but I doubt it's lumber worthy .

I so need to add SRT to my skill set...several 60' macrocarpas today...I'm busted.

I had a fist pump moment with setting the throwline...purely by accident, couldn't have done it if I tried...shot it up, got the branch but it was higher over some small twiggy stuff, when I pulled it back it did the reverse swing/flip thing and plopped RIGHT onto a perfect branch just below and all clear for lowering the bag...:)

I so need to add SRT to my skill set...several 60' macrocarpas today...I'm busted.

I had a fist pump moment with setting the throwline...purely by accident, couldn't have done it if I tried...shot it up, got the branch but it was higher over some small twiggy stuff, when I pulled it back it did the reverse swing/flip thing and plopped RIGHT onto a perfect branch just below and all clear for lowering the bag...:)

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good! Nice going8)

Stuff like that just makes one's day, doesn't it:D

I was on the way to the mainland to climb ash trees when my truck started getting sick.

Had to call the day off and limp back home.
Turned out to be a clogged diesel filter, so not too bad.

Woke up too 1-2" of snow :/ On top of the 1-2" of rain we got yesterday. Snowed all day today as well, but it never really stuck. Getting tired of all this crappy weather, we finally have a decent amount of work lined up, after it looked a bit grim here the last week or two, and we're sitting around because of the weather. Oh well, back to work Wednesday, letting it dry up tomorrow and let the snow/rain finish falling.

Been spending about every day getting ready for my AZ trip. Kat and the kids can't go. I will be driving solo. :(
Working out the schedule so no hiccups while I am gone.
Mistletoe and dead wood job today.. 7 trees... 4 ascents.. 3 traverse/swing... I am a tad tired. Kat helped me with them and felled a couple smaller live oaks while she was waiting on me to make a mess.
Levi and Lilly both came with us and played while we worked. Seth was sick so he stayed home. Just a good day.
Came home to another hired gun call from some friendly competition.
Rob did some fuel reduction a couple blocks up the street. Good take today.
Making pot roast for dinner and some marinara for lasagne tomorrow..
And I just heard Katy start up a weed eater.. :lol: That girl is sleeping tonight for certain ;)

Sounds like a good Katy.

I went to the doctors today So, now I'm cleared for full work detail.
They will probably still go light on me at work.

A big (for me) macrocarpa...about 65' to the TIP...lots of broken branches to clear, and the wind came up gusting 25ish for the last one which was swinging back and forth at the end of a branchwalk...well branch scoot...using dead branch stubs as footrests.
A tired little tree elf at the end...then a little chestnut to climb to cut two broken branches out of, only 30'...easy!

Attachments

• IMGP7460.jpg
    IMGP7460.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMGP7462.jpg
    IMGP7462.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 64
That looks like more fun than a Photinia hedge and cleaning two palms Bermy.8)

Looks like my $200 surcharge didn't get vermeer to pull their finger out. :X Shaft was supposed to be here by yesterday but no call so I rang and somehow it ended up in Brisbane, that's 600 miles away.:roll:

This is like a time warp, I'm doing things like twenty years ago. Got my small trailer hooked on and my long ladder to clean more palms tomorrow and I stopped doing palms a couple of years ago. The things you have to do to make a quid these days.

Got home tonight and after getting ready for tomorrow opened the back door and a Huntsman spider egg had just hatched, bloody little spiders everywhere. Lucky I wasn't an hour later.

I don't like spraying things but after it happened once before when someone was here I keep a can of flyspray just in case, it can stop a lot of screaming.:laughing6:

There's a species of Huntsman spider in Hawaii, locally known as the cane spider. Fairly harmless to humans unless you count the fright factor. They are rather fearsome and creepy looking. But as they are partial to cockroaches I always let them be.

Awesome tree Bermy, looking good. :)

That is one species I am not sorry to be missing out on, Fiona.
I know them from California and messier trees are hard to find.

I just got home after two looooong days on the road ( yesterday I left home at 4.30 AM and climbed the last tree at sunset 7.00 PM) harvesting ash graftings.
We managed to finish the job today and I got home just after dark.

It's been a fine couple of days, blue skies and freezing with no wind. Perfect for climbing. I slept at a nice old ferry inn yesterday with a fantastic view over the water.

Pix will follow, once I get time to post them.

I'm about SRTed out, though, from going up and down all day. Be nice to hit the hay in a little while.

Now we have a big removal of cottonwoods during easter.
They are at a school, so we had to scedule them when the school is closed.

I know what you mean Steve...last week I was pruning roses...
That tree was holding me up in the picture...a tad weary was I...

Back