How'd it go today?

Today is starting off well..... I have a dead pine to take down, but we have to cut our trail into the woods to get to it and then slice up an LZ to lay it in.
Kids already brought me coffee and have a fire going in the wood stove.
Nice way to wake up in the morning :)

That crane is really cool Leon, I wish we had something here local like that.
Dim sum sounds awesome for lunch right now.
Nione of that around these parts either.

Day started out well enough, picked up the stump grinder to starting grinding 10-12 stumps on this property. Started right up for being a diesel and this being the second coldest day yet. Things went south after starting the second stump. Grinder started shutting down like it was out of fuel. Checked it, had fuel. Tried again, would catch for a second than die. Changed the two fuel filters in case of any ice build up, still no go. Mechanic is giving it a look over, hopefully be up and running soon so we can knock this job out. After that we went to dump 3 big logs out of the trailer, one of them smashed one of the wooden sides pretty good, broke a 2x4 stake and a plank. Replaced the stake, I'll replace the plank sometime later.

Dropping a nice and hollow Hackberry tomorrow, quick clean up with the Gehl. After that I'll spend a few hours on the Gehl moving and loading brush for the farm we're working on.

I sure didn't see many beautiful women there. Pound for pound, Chinese people are pretty much bleagh.

Took my saw, gas and back pack and started cutting a trail into a area I can clear and burn to open up a corridor for a dead grey pine. Rob started the day burning piles already there. 120 acre account. I had a trail cut and started burning a hole in the brushy mess by the time Rob could hook up with me. Tad delayed as I had to run to his aid when a pile decided to burn like Hades Inferno. Spot fires in the brush line 50 plus feet out. Things have dried out a bit. Have not been any burn days for almost two weeks as well as no rain. Fires calmed down, stopped any further burning of old piles and went to camp fire size on new stuff. One more day of opening up the clearing and we can drop the bugger next visit.
Told the HO 2 years ago, when we took two other pines directly above this one, it was on it's way out. Let the games begin. He can see it from the house so it has to go. This dude has booked over two months work with us from now until December of 2013. He keeps buying more property and clearing it... Almost always a tip at the end of a stint. Cold beer and soda at the end of the day. Gotta love clients like this. :)
Supposed to rain on and off for a few, so we'll get some trouble burn piles done and bill out a grove of beetle kill once it's burned, along with the job we are on. :)

He's a great client Sean. He really would like more days this year... But we have a rule. No one client can have more than 20% of our business. We just recently rasised it up from 10% rule. He and one other project are who we did that for. So.. He is maxed out. I can replace a 20% loss in business.

Finished up two small cherry wood cabinets and got them all packed and loaded into my truck for a ten hour drive to their destination. Good excuse to clean my vehicle as well, and changed the oil and bought some new winter tires. Normally I would ship the furniture, but my customer offered to put me up and show me around that part of the country, way down south on the setonakai sea, as they call it. I haven't been away from my area for many years, some change of scenery seems real good. Hope the weather holds on the way down there, some snow on the way they say, and have to drive through some mountain passes. Hate to run into it on the highway. I usually don't drive very far, so I'll take it slow and easy. Think I'll leave at 4AM this coming morning, get there mid day. Back the three or four days, y'all take care.
Jay

Still nice cold and snowy here.
I talked the forester and the mill's logbuyer into letting our apprentice tag along when they were grading and selling/ buying our logs today.
Figured he'd learn a lot about how to buck logs, when he heard them discuss each log.

Worked a treat. He came back all stoked by all the new stuff ind insight he'd picked up, and they told me they enjoyed having him along.:)

We try to follow that 20% rule as well, Stephen. Only the state forest get a bigger chunk.

Lots of bridges out that way apparently, connecting the islands in the inland sea. Used to be only ferry transit. Bridges and tunnels are their forte.

Still nice cold and snowy here.
I talked the forester and the mill's logbuyer into letting our apprentice tag along when they were grading and selling/ buying our logs today.
Figured he'd learn a lot about how to buck logs, when he heard them discuss each log.

Worked a treat. He came back all stoked by all the new stuff ind insight he'd picked up, and they told me they enjoyed having him along.:)

We try to follow that 20% rule as well, Stephen. Only the state forest get a bigger chunk.

In my opinion Stig, teaching the youngster how to make a log is as important as anything else if he wants to be a logger. I know guys that have spent a lifetime in the woods that cant make a log properly. Its like a tree worker that cant bid his work. Especially if he will work directly for a mill one day. He will be out of a job quickly when the mill isn't getting out of the job what they have it figured for. Atleast that's how it works here.

Back