How'd it go today?

I've worked maybe three days in the last month. I've actually signed up for unemployment. It sure is easier now than 25 years ago!

Things are shaping up where we might have ourselves another ice storm on our hands here. Been freezing rain for the past few hours, forecast is calling for it to do this all night into the morning. Trees are already icing up, they say if it drops another few degrees things could get pretty bad. Hate to see the damage to the trees but I can't complain about the work and the money it would bring in.

Oh I know I will Butch, I've already worked a few haha. I love storm work of any kind, especially now that I have the Gehl.

Trees got a light coat of ice, but thats about it, nothing big enough to do much damage. It rained all night but never got cold enough to get bad. They said just a few degrees colder and we would have been of much worse. Oh well, until next time.

Plowing is a bitch some years it is good money others, it's why even bother hooking up the plow. I am debating about selling the plow/chip truck for a used f550 with stainless mason dump bed. The only problem is that my f450 has 40k miles and the 550 has 90k, oh well still waiting to hear back from the dealer for how much they want for it.

Plowing is a bitch some years it is good money others, it's why even bother hooking up the plow. I am debating about selling the plow/chip truck for a used f550 with stainless mason dump bed.
Snow plowing sucks, especially when you or your hired help are out working in the middle of the nite in some dark parking lot.
Big equipment is nice but to me smaller or less of it is better. Myself being born raised on a grain farm there was no end to the headaches.

Plowing is a bitch some years it is good money others, it's why even bother hooking up the plow. I am debating about selling the plow/chip truck for a used f550 with stainless mason dump bed. The only problem is that my f450 has 40k miles and the 550 has 90k, oh well still waiting to hear back from the dealer for how much they want for it.

What year are your rigs? I was pondering getting rid of the stick shift and put the new body on a new diesel with an auto.

Been reducing hardwoods around 6 billboards in I 95 all week. Funny laws about outdoor advertising and hardwood trees above 12 inch dbh!
I have a new respect for workers on the highway system. Just the noise from the traffic is enough to make you deaf..

Those billboards are a good gig. That reminds me...

Bill had a bill board. Bill also had a board bill. The board bill bored Bill, so Bill sold his bill board to pay for his board bill.

Ba Da BING!

Well my truck is legal for another year, just had do a few little things.

Now I just have to pay for it when I get my credit card bill, I hate this month.:(

What year are your rigs? I was pondering getting rid of the stick shift and put the new body on a new diesel with an auto.

My chip/dump is an 06' with 40,523 miles, 6.0 auto, with a failing EGR cooler, that is on the short list to be replaced as well as the oil cooler, and the guy doing the work is going to do an EGR delete tune on it. I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer for a price.

Thanks.

I was pondering a 6.0, seem ok after fixes. Finding one with fair miles, auto, cab and chassis, in white is a problem. I know I can sell mine for a good buck.

I have talked to a few guys and once the 6.0 bugs are worked out it is a good motor but they can be very $$ to fix. The two main issues I have heard about are the EGR cooler and the head bolts.

Just wait until the orings at the HPOP go. That cost me $3200 for $1.89 in orings. I am not complaining though, it is the only issue I have had in 198,000 miles and I don't baby it.:/:

Why on earth did the o rings cost that much to replace? I presume you're talking about the snap to connect fitting on the back of the pump.

Good day, went to Louisville with Dad and picked up a beautiful hand dug Nordman Fir. Amazing tree, looking forward to planting it tomorrow. Also checked out a friends lodge he's been working on building, pretty amazing work he's done, I'll have to throw some pics up. Did a few bids and worked out some invoices as well.

Just wait until the orings at the HPOP go. That cost me $3200 for $1.89 in orings. I am not complaining though, it is the only issue I have had in 198,000 miles and I don't baby it.:/:

You have a 6.0? I thought your truck was an older 7.3. Still has a HPOP, and yes that's crazy money. I like the new trucks, they seem to be very good. $34,000 for a cab and chassis

My cousin has had both, the 6.4 and the 6.7 Fords. That 6.7 is a rocket ship and super super quiet. Yes Brendon, I do have a 97 7.3 as my chip truck the 6.0 is an 03 F250 that is my personal truck. We still use it here and there. My precious oil leak is back and I lose about a gallon every ten days. I am stuck between business and pleasure right now with finding a truck.

Why on earth did the o rings cost that much to replace? I presume you're talking about the snap to connect fitting on the back of the pump.
Your guess is as good as mine Carl. More or less I got shafted. It turns out they spent nearly a week identifying the leak. In the end I got a new MAF installed and a new computer for nothing because they somehow cooked that too, after I paid the bill. I would really like to know how to bulletproof this thing as the truck is in great shape.

The standard 6.0 fixes, which I've done to both of my trucks are:

Head studs
Bullet Proof EGR Cooler (or delete)
Updated Stand Pipes and Dummy Plugs
Replace the STC (Snap to Connect) Fitting on the back of the HPOP

I had a shop do the head studs, egr cooler, and replace the oil cooler for around $3k I think it was. I think the parts were $1300 and the labor was $1700. I had already done the stand pipes, dummy plugs, and STC fitting.

The oil cooler will plug, which is what starts the blown EGR cooler and head gasket issues. A coolant filter or monitoring the oil cooler's status would be advisable.

Well the hole is mostly dug right now, its going where I pulled a 6" Hemlock stump out of the ground with my Gehl. We pretty much just to have to dress it up now, widen it a bit and clean the bottom out, but otherwise its good. Amazing what that Gehl can do haha.

But otherwise yes, we'd dig the hole by hand if it was going someplace else. Normally when we plant, unless it's more than 5 or 6 trees, we hand dig everything. We've hand dug some pretty big ass holes for things. We really only rent a mini excavator when there are lots of trees to plant on one job.

Back