How'd it go today?

Pipe broke on my veggi oil cleaning set up and spilled 20 gallons of oil onto the garage floor. Winter arrived and we have gotten about 3 inches of snow so far, hopefully I will get to plow. Time to go stir the kitty litter!

Good one around here, slept till 8, hung out with Bub all day, did a couple errands, made tacos for supper and planning to watch some star wars with the boy sharing a blanket on the couch shortly.

Feels good to be working the trees more, all healed up and getting back in shape... SRT right up a blue oak, got to work and worked both sides of the tree SRT. Cabled a limb and burned 10 staged slash piles. Good day :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VMsy_9DMJGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good one around here, slept till 8, hung out with Bub all day, did a couple errands, made tacos for supper and planning to watch some star wars with the boy sharing a blanket on the couch shortly.

It sounds like someone's not gonna see the ending...

Worked with my crew for a few hours yesterday and half a day today. The HO bought the property from an elderly widow, whose late husband did some junk collecting over the years. He did recently find the old guy's cant hook and log tape. He has also found a bunch of rusty stuff of little use. We were cleaning dealing with a root disease pocket killing some doug-firs, and opening the view to where the new HO will be hobby farming.

Did the more technical stuff, letting Erik do some spurless canopy raises and New Guy John mostly limbed and bucked some trees felled, and dropping some things himself. Walked him though a 80'-ish fir felling. He took some time, and some pointers, but got it textbook. He was proud of his work!

Nicely, no chipping, drop, buck, limb into small enough pieces that the HO can drag to a burn pile...make that many, many burn piles.

They guys will finish up this week when we have another break in the weather. Good time for the job to pop up, coming into the holidays when it definitely slows down.

Me, too.

Got the last alder removal hanging over an outbuilding done right at dark, so I finished all that I was needed for. I thought I would have to rope the twin tops, but was able to give everything the ol' heave-ho, and clear the roof, if only just barely. Scared the roof a bit, no more.

Just made it back from Münich late last night.
Richard and I drove down to pick up my new old BMW motorcycle.
9 hrs straight driving down ( doing a solid 150 kilometers per hour on the German Autobahn ( and occasionally being passed by big Audis, Porches, Mercedes etc doing 250!!!!!), slept in the truck and did 9 hours back.
I'm slightly car-lagged right now.
Made it home about 2 hrs before a blizzard closed the whole country down.Talk about luck.-

Now I'll go play with my new Warn snowplow, we bought for the ATV. Imagine my surprise, BTW, when, after bying a good old American product, I saw the
" Made in China" label on it.:what:

Went and topped a tree in light blowing snow. My hands felt like blocks of wood, quite painful ones. The homeowner seemed disbelieving that anyone would want to do that on such a cold morning. I didn't particularly want to.

Ya do what puts money in the pocket, Jay. I know how you feel. People here say we can come/ come back on a day that isn't raining if we want, but that would be months from now.

Stig, so shocking, Made in China. Say it isn't so. ;)

Dahlia is pulling up to a standing position quite a bit now...just doesn't know how to reverse it. She's crawling quite a bit, though our laminate floors are not so great for traction. She does better on the rugs.

Hungs 6 strands of Christmas lights in our Deodor Cedar. Excited to see how they look come dusk. Got them to about 8' of the top and out and about the limbs, with a little help from my friend the Hitch Hiker.

I did notice that my Poison Hyvee rope was noticeably flattened. This is a prototype. I don't know if it is at all the same with the production ones. I think that the biner may be loading more than the dogbone, with minimal load on the hitch.

I received a call that a very close friend of mine has passed away. I have mentioned him here before, the man who lost both arms in a machine accident when he was eight, and went on to become a renowned painter, using his feet and mouth. I'm going to hop on a bus and ride all night to attend his funeral in Osaka, hopefully make it home late tomorrow night. A wonderful person he was, one of the most inspiring that I have ever known. His was a life that encountered great adversity, but ever since we became friends, I never knew him to be anything other than a joyful and giving spirit. He has been fighting a bad liver illness for many years, the result of receiving tainted blood when he had the accident. In and out of the hospital, but I never heard him complain. Masanori Minami was my friend's name, and though he was severely handicapped, self reliance was his lesson to the world. He was a very enjoyable guy, always ready to give and take a joke, or be available for calm discussion about anything. I will miss him dearly.

Attachments

• beab79d852.jpg
    beab79d852.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 62
Sorry for you loss of such a friend. He sounds like he had a very positive affect on many people through art, his personality, and inspiration. Safe travels.

My condolences, Jay. Have a safe trip. Inspiring post ... a testament to an inspiring life. :)

Back