How'd it go today?

I like it. Now you can sell them on phc and pruning!

TRUDAT ... you can only kill a tree once ... but you can maintain it for years, decades, centuries ... well, decades ... er a ... maybe years - for some of us ... :)

Thanks, Sean

Tomorrow we'll go on a felling spree at a park I haven't been to, earning our keep. Left to other staff, it would take 2-3 times as long, at least, and maybe not get all done due to the dangerous nature of it. I guess its okay if we don't kill ourselves everyday. Some individual parks have staff that can knock down som
I almost got creamed on Monday by a 4"x 20' limb coming down from around 100' the other day. Dodging it by a couple feet, after being grazed by another similar one on the leg, slightly. I figured I earned my keep with that one, especially since my safety spotter "didn't think that something might be delayed a couple seconds in coming down" and didn't see it. Not my supervisor, a park ranger. Go eat a donut!

Like firemen, sometimes we have to wait for a 'fire', polishing the truck in the meanwhile.

I asked a guy to spot for me when I was wedging on a dead tree with a bunch of limbs that looked like they could drop. I looked over and he was just watching me. I gave him the hammer and said I will spot you for a while. I actually did look up.

Had a better day at work today. Just my supervisor and myself working. No other park staff. Only one set of campers (who of course were camping under one of the dying trees we were to put down. Knocked down a couple into good spots with no unexpected stripping of other trees (one hemlock only had one place to go due to being penned in, powerlines, and a lake, but only a couple broken off live branches, and some bonus deadwooding). Planned out some work. Ordered a new winch controller for our pick-up winch after trouble shooting to be sure. Got a $3200 repair bill from the International dealer for a front main seal and some other seal on our Detroit diesel engine (100K miles). Glad I don't have to pay it. Had a few other things fall into place with equipment. Hoping to get to run a big track-hoe for a bit in February for about a dozen large cottonwood removals, some up to 60" dbh, most in the 30's and 40's. Previously topped. Hollow. Its in a super wet area, so no bucket truck, and to avoid collateral damage, I have suggested to my supervisor that we put the Wraptor to use and knock them apart fully, or down to spars, and wait for the weather to dry up before dealing with the spars (June).

Going to bid a job in the morning for a former customer who would not allow my manager to bid the job. The wife would only be happy with me coming to bid the job and do the work. I swear I only serviced the tree the last time I was there!;):lol:

Oh, boy! I've got a couple of estimates to look at this am. Just wrapping up a proposal for the property manager of a large mall here in town. Around 75 lil trees to train and subordinate about 30 freeman maples. Those things are like ticking time bombs. Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here! Bout 3 inches of snow in the last day. I bet the Squisher is busy plowing.

Luckily, I managed to get all my chipping and such done before the snow, there is nothing worse than leaving a pile of brush, only to come back another day and have it covered in snow and ice!

Spent 2hrs in a large purple plum...deadwooding and light thinning. Its the one with a bacterial infection of some sort, old, split and a bit stinky but they love it. .
Last fall I spritzed it with some dilute bleach, cleared out the grass and mulched it with some good cow poo soil...it leafed out well this spring.

Just got in yesterday from Sulphur, Louisiana. Had a great 2 weeks down there working with a good friend. We did some diverse work, from grinding 20 big live oak stumps in a mud hole on the shady side of town, to pruning some Live oaks and other trees with a lift and some climbing, too a bunch of removals, both with a lift and a crane. I'm working on a video right now, and I'll throw some pics up later. Great, great time. First time doing crane removals, both climbing and with a lift for me, so it was great to have that experience and be able to bring it home with a better understanding of crane work. Now that I have some experience with it I'll hopefully talk Dad into doing a few more. Also got to check out the Gulf, the first time I went down it was beautiful, beaches were clean, etc. Second time around there was a line of seaweed washed up all along the beach. Made the quick jump to east Texas and explored that area for a day. All in all a great trip, one for the books for me. Hit three new states on this trip and saw some pretty cool sights.

Last couple days have been chilly and cloudy. Wraptor came in handy dead wooding some oaks yesterday in a creek area and today on a black oak removal. Mother nature was nice enough to grow a ponderosa pine right next to a nasty mistletoe ridden black oak for a good high TIP. Threw a line in at 65 feet and Wraptored up. The black oak was all wrapped around the pine. Had to cut them apart, or at least the black oak off the pondo. Work my way a little down one side of the oak, then swing back to the pine to get hangers out.. back and forth a few times. Then Wraptor up the other side of the black oak once I knew it was pretty sound and top it to fit in the LZ. Now mind you this is basically out in the middle of a field. The lady of the house wants to keep the other trees and manzanita around the black oak. One of the easies TD climbers I have done in a while.. LZ heaven :D Made for a profitable 4.5 hour day (we had some burning to do for them as well) and I got to use my newly repaired 066 :D Just got the filter cover for it so it was ready to rumble :) 32" at the felling cut :D Looks like it might snow. Kids are on a sleep over.... Nice quiet evening :)

Just remember - you're the Man of the House. YOU rule the roost.

It's in the Bible, somewhere. :drink:

Blew a driveshaft u joint in my truck tonight. In the dark. With no tools. With no cell service. On a backroad. With each step I took down the road I thought "this is bullshit". That particular truck hasn't broken on me once. Not once in the 40k I've put on it pulling heavy loads so I wasn't mad at the truck. Mad at the lack of cell service and cold temps though.

She's been sleeping now for an hour and a half, so that's a good sign. At first it was a big pile, then little bits. Scary when the wife calls out in the dark, "Turn on the light! Turn on the light! Turn on the light!" and there is not baby crying. Heart skips a beat or 5.

Pedialyte. Good luck my man. It sucks when your baby is sick. All you can do is hope you're doing the right thing. She'll be ok.

Back