How'd it go today?

Sometimes I'm so slow about things I almost go backwards .Yesterday after contending with a bad alternator on my old tractor I finally got around to changing it after 14 years of it not working .It's a 6 volt system changed over to 12 using a GM interagal alternator .I had to dig though about half a dozen at my shop but I found one the same style so I'm back in business .Took me all of about an hour to change it .What was I thinking for 14 years of having to hook that SOB up to a battery charger about once a week ? Head in azz I guess .

Hey hey hey a new milestone .Hard leaner ash .Plunge cut with a humbolt .I gotta hand it to the west coast crowd that under cut gizmo works pretty good :thumbup:.Tossed that sucker off the stump just like I wanted it to .I will say this cutting outward on the back strap when that SOB decides to go it lets out a crack like a rifle .I'm used that slow creeeeek .Feet don't fail me now .

Yeah ,it worked on me .I bolted out of the chute just like a race horse, well slightly older race horse that is .Damn I've put a lot of trees on the ground but I never heard one sound off like that .

This is what a borrowed gun will get you. Too bad it is my cousin that got it after I missed. I guess I am off to buy my Christmas present tomorrow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354230489.805421.jpg
I supposed if my help showed up this morning I wouldn't have even seen him.

You don't have to exit out the back al. You can simply pull the saw out, then reach out and trip it from the outside. Plunging is an incredibly safe way to fall hardwoods.

Well yeah Tucker that's exactly what I did .I just wasn't used to that crack like a 30:06 going off .I wasn't going to stick around and find out either .The good Lawd gave me one brain and two feet ,look at the ratio .;)

Before I play Paul Bunyan today I need to dig up a piece of red oak about 4 feet long and 6 inchs wide .Toms' lady wants a nice coat rack thing with hooks so I said I'd carve one out for her .

Geeze it will take longer to set up the danged saws and planer up as it does to do the work .Freakin garage is 10 pounds of flour in a 5 pound sack .

Woke up this morning...and the belly was rumbling. Needless to say, managing to get my kids to daycare and school without an 'accident' was a minor miracle. I am gonna drink some tea and wait this thing out. Last time I felt like this was high school!

Ya Al, that pop it makes is distinct. Some workmans comp companies that write policies for loggers in the east insist that all trees be bore cut. I had to get used to that idea when I logged. I still don't agree with that theory/mentality entirely, but I came around to getting used to it and good at it.

An old friend of mine plays the balalaika in the Los Angeles Russian orchestra. He has a talent for music, just learned it as well as being a guitarist that was in Country Joe and the Fish for awhile.

I spent four days in a river bed eliminating it from trees for the city. Constant cutting, mostly Black Acacia falling all over the place. Pretty intense work. I could make them splash into the river which was kind of cool, because a large backhoe is in there now cleaning it up. I was thinking that they should leave in a few for fish habitat, but I doubt that they will.

I watched a guy that was logging here in WNY cut every tree with a bore cut. I thought it was a bit strange but the guy really didn't waste any time doing it. The company he worked for was from Pa. Sugar Grove or Sugar something.

I've only done a few plunge cuts myself but several bore cuts on larger trees .I actually like a bore cut .That plunge the other day was the first I ever did with a humbolt but I kind of like it too .Maybe the next time since I'm aware what will happen I won't bolt and run when it snaps .That right here is a new trick for an old dawg .;)

I've got several more hard leaners to do .EAB ash .They all started out as understory trees under rather large oaks and beech trees .These things have more curves than a dogs hind leg .The next one in line goes straight up for 20 feet then fires off at a 45 degree angle and must be 75-80 feet tall .Damnest thing I've ever seen .

The way I see it is a plunge is a straight in shot from one side clean through to the other .

A bore starts from the back cut and goes in on one side clear to the hinge .Set a wedge so it does not close up . Do the other side leaving maybe 2 inch or less hold wood in the middle .Set another wedge and cut the hold wood .

It's probabley just teminoligy but that's my take on it .

I suppose it's just methods too .The one I did yesterday I shoved the bar clear though ,made the humbolt then cut in on both side the plunge to the middle leaving about an inch inch and a half .Then rather than trip the strap inside to out I went outside to in .

It is just a question of whether your bar can reach through or not, I think.

Back