How'd it go today?

I don't think any hurricane is what you'd consider good .It won't be felt much even if it does make landfall in the Keys this far north but it will effect the weather some what .It might make a few days or up to a week but it could happen .Rain like a cow pizzing on a flat rock .Drown the frogs .Turn the corn fields into rice paddies .

The wind will howl and the tree service folks will gain new employment .

I don't know about ace, I think I am just not wise enough to say no when people ask me to play for them! I play third too, that is my home. Do the guys you play with ever ask why do you look so tired all the time lol? I get that all the time... dang desk jockey's!

Or the odd time when you do a days work and don't have time to hit the showers before the game and you're full of pitch or just plain dirty? Ya they love that! Hot corner, eh, nice!

My wife spoke with her cousin in I think near Jupiter Fla .last night .It was kind of windy from what she said ,rain enough to drown frogs .Batten down the hatches now .

I have plenty of fuel for trucks, saws and the generator. Starting to get a bit squally here, should be overcast and windy for the next couple days.

I have been working on painting my boom for the last week. Wasn't able to finish this morning due to the wind but it's almost done. I painted over all the ugly yellow with a medium gray, should hide the dings and scratches better and not look like a rolling caution sign. A neighbor who is an out-of-work car painter offered to paint the truck for $3500 and I politely refused. I have about $60 invested in spray cans from Sherwin Williams and can get touch-up any time I want.

Hell I didn't pay any attention when I was in the Keys in '67 .For that matter I wouldn't know a mahogany if I tripped over it .Now palm trees yes. Those are the things that bomb coconuts down on you at o'dark thirty in the mourning .Big rascals too that could crack the old noggin like an egg or raise a goose egg the size of a softball .

Here I am in a mahogany tree, it is one of the most common trees I trim. They are too lovely to remove and you also need a permit with a valid reason. They can be really big and the wood is hard and very heavy. Beautiful is how I would describe them. IMG03997-20120613-0952.jpg IMG04403-20120825-1305.jpg

Butch Mahogany ain't going to like a bit of cold period. But they are truly my favorite tree to work in down here. Very majestic and sprawling. Heavy strong hard wood.

That thing looks like a live oak or at least the ones I've seen .Now how in the world they ever make lumber out of those things is a mystery . Why they'd be lucky to find 6 foot of straight log .

Mahogany I used to buy for furniture was available in very long straight wide planks. One of the easier hardwoods to wood work, machines extremely well and also not problematical with hand tools. Sometimes you get some rogue grain, but it is manageable. This table is Honduras Mahogany, the type that Fiona and swingdude are talking about, might be a bit harder? I traded this table for airline tickets to the other side of the world.

Attachments

• mahogany table.jpg
    mahogany table.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Good day today, slayed a good sized dead cherry, was able to bomb it all, just had to avoid a few small near by pines. We were off by 2 which was sweet.

Sad day tomorrow, cutting honey suckle in a fence line right next to a building and train tracks :whine:

When you are working near train tracks, there should always be a person there watching for train, that can give the alert. That is unless the train doesn't run there any longer.

I can only assume there might be several species of mahogany as well as growing conditions .

Like for instance our native oaks if grown in confinement have nice tall straight trunks .However with no competition for sunlight spread out with big wide canopies that can cover an in town building lot .The former produce excellant lumber and the later are only good for firewood more or less .

Mahogany I used to buy for furniture was available in very long straight wide planks. One of the easier hardwoods to wood work, machines extremely well and also not problematical with hand tools. Sometimes you get some rogue grain, but it is manageable. This table is Honduras Mahogany, the type that Fiona and swingdude are talking about, might be a bit harder? I traded this table for airline tickets to the other side of the world.

WWB that is one fine table, and well worth the plane tickets. Got to tell ya the mahogany down here is very hard but the dudes that work on it tell me that it's a lovely wood to deal with. The hardness is a quality in that many insects turn their little azzes away from it. The deep red color is also one of it's fine characteristics.

Back