How'd it go today?

I'm for real. I checked my mouth to feel how many were missing at first. Spit out some blood for a little bit too. I had a cold drink 20 minutes ago and almost jumped out the window. I took some advil a bit ago and I think that'll get me right.

How about my groundman. While I'm away he offered to swing by the saw dealer in his travels and get some parts I'm waiting on. He is even going to grab the chipper knives and drop them all off to be sharpened when he is in that neck of the woods. The guy gives his damned heart to this business.

I wonder what you did to your teeth? I mean, do loosened teeth fix themselves?

As long as the root tips aren't broken, they do.
I've had a few myself, back before I got wise and started wearing a mouth piece for sparring.

Thanks Justin,

Hope it is't anything major, Chris. I cut off a side limb three feet off the ground and dropped it right on my toe. Nasty blood blister, you know those kind that throb. Thinking to pop it. Wore my ninja shoes with no toe protection today. Dumb move.

We did a couple of moonlighting jobs yesterday, killing and chipping Birches and Austrian pines left and right.
Put in a 12 hr day on the hottest most humid day of the year.
Our little helper was pretty wore out when we headed home, from dragging brush all day, but the $300 pay perked her right up again:)

P1020224.JPG P1020226.JPG P1020223.JPG

Awesome shot :thumbup:
attachment.php

Is that the castle gardener...not that I'm keeping track orrrr anything. 12hr day wrecking trees is a tough day fo sho! How long do you work when you're falling in the fall/winter, Stig? I think most hand fallers around here are limited to a 6.5 hr working day (not including travel and such) by our safety authority. Probably a little different for an owner operator though.

Got some lathing up on my shed earlier today. Played hide-and-seek with the rain yesterday putting up the rafters. Maybe I'll have time to get the tin on this week.

b8a48c17.jpg

1c6fbd95.jpg

Is that the castle gardener...not that I'm keeping track orrrr anything. 12hr day wrecking trees is a tough day fo sho! How long do you work when you're falling in the fall/winter, Stig? I think most hand fallers around here are limited to a 6.5 hr working day (not including travel and such) by our safety authority. Probably a little different for an owner operator though.

Yes, same girl.

We work from all the hours we can see. In midwinter that is only about 7-7½.

We are not as tough as the oldtimers.
They would end the day by falling a tree and making shallow cuts at the places it had to be bucked.
Then when they arrived in the morning, they could find the cuts by the light of a match and set to pulling the whipsaw while waiting for it to get light.

Haha. Crazy woodsmen back in the day. Pretty neat to be walking woods that have been managed by human foresters for centuries, I bet.

I showed up at my jobsite this morning only to find a renter had parked his car underneath the 3 fir I had to work on and then summarily went on vacation! Dick! Oh well, not a totally lost cause of a day, fit a couple of smaller jobs in and put a bid in on a bigger one. Then had a nice cafe lunch and a swim in the lake.

Life's tough.

I recall a job at the city office when we had a crane parked in a small adjacent parking lot, plus the mini, plus brush scattered all around, so obviously we were still working there after knocking off for lunch. We ate at a spot out of sight and got back to see some Lexus or something wedged in behind the crane. It was on a Sunday when the office is closed. The fool and his wife gets back some hours later after doing some shopping or something.... We were cleaning up around the car then. They started apologizing when they hit the driveway. Idiots don't get much purer than that.

And 2x4 lath?!

What's wrong with 2x4 lathe? Actually I already had 13 1x4x16s loaded on the trailer when I saw the 2x4x16s were 12 cents cheaper than the 1x4s! Stronger to boot!

Took down a big water oak today...~40" DBH, 90ish feet tall. it was hollow, with a crack running up it about an inch wide and ten feet long. Storm racked it pretty good a few weeks ago, I reckon. 6 hours of climbing and it was down. Felt plumb nice today since this cold weather done blowed in!

Job got changed to a couple beetle kill removals. Today, the first one was over a county road. Had to fell it in a tight lay so that it just brushed another pondo, minimally block the road and not end up on another property and in a creek. Landed spot on which felt good. Couple of wedges to tip her & a Humboldt notch so she did not stray too far down hill... All cleaned up and hauled off. Small pondo in an open field tomorrow, then possibly some more road clearance work. See what the morning brings.

What's wrong with 2x4 lathe? Actually I already had 13 1x4x16s loaded on the trailer when I saw the 2x4x16s were 12 cents cheaper than the 1x4s! Stronger to boot!

Must be the labor:/:

On Kodiak Island we would blame it one shipping...

Back