How'd it go today?

Thanks, Squish and Paul. Yeah, my wife shed a few tears this morning, but her mother's passing isn't without some relief too. A human in the state that she was in for the last few years, there doesn't seem much point to it besides a lingering on to what has been. The nutrition that they give you now can really keep you going, no doubt that a lot of people get more nutrient that way then when they are still feeding themselves. It can be hard on the people attached to the old or ill person. I know of cases where people hung on like that for twenty years, always looked after at home, and sometimes it ended up killing the care giver before the person being given the care.

Congrats on the contract Squish and glad you are busy.

Sorry about your loss Jay.

Don't have to go back on that asphalt driveway for a month. I am extremely pleased about that :)
Two days working it was plenty in this heat.

For sure. Myself I'd rather pass naturally, I hope my funeral (isn't for a long time) will be more like a wake! I'd like people to party down in my honor when I go, a ripper.

I offer my condolences, Jay. I recall with disdain having to attend funerals as a child for distant relatives I barely knew and/or for whom I held no affection. I'm hoping when my time comes I can pass on in such a way as to eliminate the possibility of others holding a funeral in my behalf. If I end up on a feeding tube I only hope I can summon the strength to yank it out.

Thanks guys.

Funerals for distant relatives are one thing, but I also think that funerals for a dearly loved person can be a shock to kids too, perhaps better not to subject them to it. When I attended my dad's funeral when i was twelve, the level of grief there amongst my remaining family and myself was horrible. The scent of certain flowers brings the recollection right back. As we were leaving the ceremony at the cemetary, I looked out through the back window of the limo I was in, and I saw two guys walk up to his grave and start lowering him into the ground, something that gets done after the family leaves, unless I guess that they want to stick around. I could live without that image being permanently etched into my brain. I even remember what shirt one of the guys was wearing. I think it would have been better if I had stayed home with my dog.

My thoughts to you and your wife Jay. When I go, I don't want my wife doing a funeral. She probably will though. Id rather people not cry over me. I don't think I'm worth crying over. Id rather folks get together and have a good time laughing at my outlandish behavior in life. That and I want my chainsaws crushed. Just in case Court moves on and finds a new man, I don't want his filthy rat claws touching my scalpels.

2wfu8w9.png

Jay,
Sorry for your loss.
I understand in the East ancestors are revered, and on certain nights it certainly does seem like "obaki dozo' (sorry if I mis-spelled that: 'the spirits are out tonight').
Folks I knew through Shotokan Karate seemed to still have a strong association with their loved ones after they died, lighting candles, leaving gifts for them, and mentioning them before shared good times such as weddings and birthdays.

Back when I was doing the hospice nursing a lot of families would ask about whether young children should attend funerals.
Children after around 5 to 6 years old are well aware of death (pets and people) and generally those who study
thanatology (study of death and dying and the psychological mechanisms of dealing with death) say children should be given the choice and their decision honored.
Of course if they were in hospice there is a chaplain, social worker and bereavement counselor to work with them.

I didn't read that as cocky, Justin, I read as self assured and great full!
My condolences Jay! I hope it's as pleasant day as can be had.

I didn't read that as cocky, Justin, I read as self assured and great full!
My condolences Jay! I hope it's as pleasant day as can be had.

Sorry for the loss Jay, and hope some peace comes in with the passing.

I don't know much about death, but I believe some of the artificial support that people get can be quite hard on the family with little benefit for quality of life for the patient.

Sorry for your loss, Jay. Positive vibes sent your way.

Justin, good to hear your on the mend bro. Last weekend I was playing a ball tourney. Sat was a good day 3 games and we kicked butt. For some reason, Sun am was a little fuzzy. A ball was hit centre field between the other fielder and I, and I think we were both going back to cover. At the last second she called out for me to take it (:/:) and I dove. And summarily landed straight on my shoulder. This week hurt, but I found that working thru it helped...seems like the more you use it and loosen up the faster it heals.

Going to the farmers market with the kidlets tomorrow, wife and I have a Saturday off together which hasn't happened in a blue moon so it should be fun!

Sorry for your loss Jay. My MIL has had a stroke this week & we have been reminded how fragile life can be & how we should use our time more wisely

Had quite a bad storm last night. Phone started ringing at 630 this morning, called one lady back at 645 and told here it would be a minimum of 300$ for an emergency call. She went apeshit about how it was just a limb laying in the yard.....

Thanks, D. Funeral tomorrow.

I'm waiting for 6:30 to roll around to get moving. I'm working the ground on trimming two quite large Zelkovas around a medical clinic. I guess it all has to be done in a day, so two cranes on site, I was told. I expect to be busy and bored at the same time. When working the ground, I feel under loved. Still 30 minutes, think I'll go back to bed.

Took down a bug sugar maple today. Nothing out of the ordinary. Hurt my teeth though. Had my lowering line held in my teeth and cut a log to chuck out of the tree to get myself in order to lower a limb out. The log slipped out of my arms early and dropped down onto the slack of the lowering line on the ground. My front teeth were loose for a few moments and now they hurt terribly. Dinner was brutally painful tonight.

I usually tie off a rope on a d ring or on a limb out of my way when I'm between using it. I was distracted and trying to bust my hump to wreck this pig today so I could be on my way to take the wife and kids on vacation tomorrow. Stupid me. I've got a really sore mouth to remind me to chill out.

Back