How'd it go today?

Today was after a 12 hour shift of 6 PM to 6 AM .Got 4 hours sleep and got with it again .

Finally got the residue of things in order from the building addition of a year ago summer last . I'm not all that tidy but the place was looking about like a pig sty so it was time to clean up things .Past time truth be known .

That's become the norm for me, for the past 6 months anyway. I'm about ready to hire another guy to cut down on my time in the field. Client meetings factor into my long days.

Really no big deal as long as you rest up every couple of weeks....

My youngest sometimes walks over to my folks and there's a hill/curve just south of my driveway. Some fool took to driving through here last year going so fast I'd see him sliding sideways as he passed my dad's house. I took the pick and spent a few minutes to install a bump. Next day he came through again, flying. I kept deepening/widening it until he slowed down. I considered dragging a dead tree out in the road....

All I have to do is grain some deer and that will fix it ;)

Replaced a carb on one FS250 and it is running again.. Had another one with a broke shaft housing. I had a spare parts one in the shed and also found out it needed a clutch. Cleaned it up, switched everything over and now I have 3 Stihls and an Echo again. My Husky I found with a busted fuel line in the tank this morning... Need to get on that next. My FS 250R (non-handlebar) Needs a top end freshened up. I'll order that next week and get that back up to snuff. Need to pick up a couple more back up carbs as well... Going to be a long summer.

Yesterday I was a stump grinding fool (14) and today are more stumps (4). I miss the days where I made trees into stumps but oh well bills are paid.

Things I'll never do again:
Roof a gazebo
Change out a 4.0ohv in a Ranger or Explorer
Convert a non twin stick hydraulic John Deere 316 to a twin stick!
ANY of these things will cost you $25k in the future and I WILL have the tools and means in place before I start, which means half in advance!
Don't want to pay that? GREAT! I don't want to do it!

I took down a medium-to-small sweet gum this morning, then a hickory (~70') that had a good lean over a camphouse....and at least 8" between the trunk and where it had bent the tin roof on windy days. I was able to set a speedline before heading up, and zipping almost all the limbs out from over the building. Then had to block/lower 4'-5' chunks down to near the roof and have them pulled back via tagline to be lowered to the ground. Glad to be done...

Things I'll never do again:
Roof a gazebo
Change out a 4.0ohv in a Ranger or Explorer
Convert a non twin stick hydraulic John Deere 316 to a twin stick!
ANY of these things will cost you $25k in the future and I WILL have the tools and means in place before I start, which means half in advance!
Don't want to pay that? GREAT! I don't want to do it!

Aw, c'mon, Andy, what's so hard about roofing a gazebo? :D

Was it the actual rough shakes? I've never had dealings with them. The planed/tapered wood shingles aren't too bad once you get in the groove.

Lucky you, I just trimmed some shrubs.:(

I can't complain really, first time I've worked on this day in three years, never had it off in more than twenty.

Used to be always flat out this month but things have changed around here, been pretty good lately but it's quiet now.

Yup ... rain here, too ... probably all week ...

My Mom always said: "I like the rain ... might as well." :)

Rain pulled out this morning here. Now I am wishing I didn't start this job until tomorrow, the mini really tore it up. Ah well seed is cheap.

I slayed some tree's today, I got two of the three down, I guess it could have gone worse! Three ash trees, first was about 12", easy peasy, second was 20", head lean where I wanted it to go but 35-40mph gusts into the fall and main power lines 90deg and I didn't want to chance it! Roped it 20' up and had to cut it 6' up to miss the cable line in the fall. Made a large face, made the back cut, left lots of hinge and told the guy on the mini to pull the rope with it. All was great until it came off the stump! A wind gust caught the top pivoting on the rope 90deg right on the damn power lines! It didn't snag and thankfully none of the lines came down. But I cleaned up the mess and came home! The last one has a back lean over a garage and the same power lines to deal with. I'll go back another not so windy day!
I'm gonna go clean my pants out now!

... A wind gust caught the top pivoting on the rope 90deg right on the damn power lines! ...
:O "Day-um" is right! That had to have been hard to watch ... So, Andy, did you say any naughty words? :D

-- --------

I, almost, managed to squeeze in some hazard-wooding between thunder storms. Got half-way through and THUNDER! I don't like being a tree when there's lightning in the area. I got done and down just as it started to pour ... sure got soaked packing up.

The rope is drying in the laundry room -- Mama not like ... :\: guess I'll be moving it to the shop when (if) it stops raining.

Found a couple of new toys had been delivered, when I got back. :) Didn't get to play with them, though. :cry:

Finally got the RQ3 that Burnham recommended: {where is he, anyway?}
rq3_Q-eight_suretyman.jpg

And got a CMI RP122 for rigging redirects because it can be remotely set:
karst_2211_169253711.jpg

I sad words I won't repeat here! It all happened slow motion style, I yelled at the guy on the mini "I told you to pull!" he replied he was going as fast as it could!

Sorry for your misery, Andy. It does take a certain touch to pull with an implement like that, it seems. I had an experienced guy cause a major barber chair when with the mini he was on he became too zealous. It was about two years ago and I'm still a little pissed. "I couldn't see you", was his excuse, even after having had the discussion about how we were going to do it.

He did nothing wrong, I should have called it off this am when I saw the winds, but it was A J's last day of school, it was scheduled and I need money! This falls squarely on me!

Back