How'd it go today?

One guy that I sometimes work with hand paints the wood scabbards he makes. He gave me one with Buddhist images and other things. Kinds of stands out in a crowd. I should post a pic.

Bar covers, kept in place...

Since my saws spend far more time riding around on rough FS roads in the rail-mounted tool boxes than they do cutting wood, bar covers are a neccesity for keeping the chains sharp or damaging each other.

Attachments

• Img_0854.jpg
    Img_0854.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 15
Bar covers, kept in place...

Since my saws spend far more time riding around on rough FS roads in the rail-mounted tool boxes than they do cutting wood, bar covers are a neccesity for keeping the chains sharp or damaging each other.

Exactly. This is why I have to have them:
148683_460733734843_355234984843_5360387_2743552_n.jpg

Now I have a second slider above my chainsaws for all of my climbing and rigging gear, but my saws all intertwine so they fit in that small area, and if I did not have the bars covered, it would be bad. I have good luck with the husqvarna covers...I get them from the local saw shop for 7 bucks, and they are 28" long. I just need to figure out how to make a nice one for my 50" and 54" bars.

It won't work as the belly of my 50" bar is too big to fit. As you will notice in this pic that I have half of a two piece stihl cover on the tip...that is as far as they will go on.

546304_10150824860659844_355234984843_9548112_796973857_n.jpg

You can slit a 100 inch piece of garden or similar flexible hose, wrap it around the bar/chain and strap it tight with three or four short cam latch straps.

I have done that before...it works okay, but ends up being kind of a pain. I have also wrapped them in rags. Just wanting something a little more streamlined.

For sure, it's fiddly system that's a pita. I wouldn't want to use it except on a saw like that, which for most of us, sees far more time in storage than in use.

I had a great time today flying a High Ranger, taking out a serious leaning pine threatening a double-wide at someone's camp. The old fella was glad to see that mofo disappear!

Tomorrow, Mcdonalds... :>(

I could be better, but I ain't no slouch. My cardio work could be better...

BTW, treework has never kept me "fit."

No, I can't say tree work keeps many people fit. I meant are the muscles and joints cooperating? Or do you find yourself sore and whooped?

Tree work keeps me strong and sturdy. Also keeps my work stamina up. I think the outdoors keeps me fit though. Close to fit anyways. I hoof many a mile in the outdoors each year.

Back