How'd it go today?

Started this little project today. We have done other work on this property before and we are currently working on part of the mile long driveway anyway. One of our county judges lives in the house above this section. He has hired us to start on his section as well as his sister in law's place that we currently are doing. See what we find in this mess as we go :D

This piece of land is shared by both.

Stephen, looks like a nice place to work. Though, the ground does look a little steep in places. What do you have to do? It'll be good to see how the work progresses. I hope you're planning on posting some pix & vids.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 7.53.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-05-17 at 7.53.18 AM.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 7
Yes Jack, the whole place sits aside the Chowchilla River canyon. The new project is not too bad, but there are some real steep spots aside the driveway. We will be cleaning up storm throws and the vegetation under them. This section will be thinned out so the trees and some of the vegetation will be spaced for looks and fire prevention. "Parked out" so to speak. All ground work, but there may be some climbing as necessary to remove hangers and such. Can't hardly walk through most of it right now.

Jack, here are some before and after of the beginning on the lower corner....
10 yards of chips and a couple staged burn piles later :)
This is just the initial plunge into an area we will clear to make access for the chipper and some future burning. Mostly low brush and small trees. Still some work to be done on the trees. It is also one of the more visible corners on the drives. ;)

Attachments

• 2012-05-16 09.58.47.jpg
    2012-05-16 09.58.47.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012-05-16 09.58.50.jpg
    2012-05-16 09.58.50.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012-05-16 09.58.55.jpg
    2012-05-16 09.58.55.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2012-05-16 09.59.54.jpg
    2012-05-16 09.59.54.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012-05-17 15.29.03.jpg
    2012-05-17 15.29.03.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
Stephen, that's some beautiful work!

attachment.php

I had to clear some land like that a while back ... lots of nasty brush and green briars - back breaking, cutting & dragging. What are you using (pic2), that 'weed-eater' - handsaw - 10 tine?
Man! ... makes me hurt just remembering it. :cry:
I went out and bought a 4' sickle-bar - worked pretty good around the rocks and such. :)
If you weren't over there in BFE-West, I'd give it to ya, but I'm over here in BFE-East. :lol:

Thanks Jack :)
That is a pole saw.
Weed eater for small stuff on that job, but it can sport a power scythe or blade when needed. Cleans up the ground nice if you weed rat the small growth at the end of the day. More manageable for the HO to spray as it pops back up.
Tools used on this one ...
Echo 360T, Stihl 036, Husky 460, FS250, Bypass loppers, Silky, bypass pruners, rake and blower. Of course chipper.
I cut and moved material and Rob chipped everything and shot into the truck. any overage for the day could be shot up into the woods.
It will clean up some more, they donate the firewood to member of the church they belong to. I'll end up with a load of it here and there myself.

Sprained my thumb today. Nothing serious and I'm glad it's not broken. All wrapped up and hopefully will be back at it next week. Hurts like hell though.

I got the 60" finish mower buttoned up, not to my liking but it will work for a few years at least. The spindle assemblies are just wore out! At $100 each I was going to weld them up and turn them on a lathe, but dad pointed out the rest of its about worn out to so.......
Don't buy a King Kutter, these things are piss poor designs!
Ice the thumb Brian, I sprained my thumb and first two fingers years ago. I got froggy in a mosh pit at a Marylin Manso concert years ago and had a couple of guys tag team my ass! Came down on my thumb and fingers bending them backwards! Hurt like Hell for a couple of weeks!
Chris, well, I'm glad I'm not you! Good luck with that!

I can fix it. It's gonna take time and patience. Ford dealer told me 1200 for a column. My mechanic that does my inspections says he ordered me replacement parts, as this breakage is common, and he will have them at his shop at noon tomorrow for $70. I intend on kissing him. A lot.

:lol: @ Chris.

Sorry to hear about your thumb Brian.

Uneventful day here. Rob cut weeds for CDF clearance and I started tying in a couple clearings on a property we were working. Did some limb up, chipped and then backed the rig into a sweet shady spot with a breeze. :D Next visit I will stage a burn pile and slay a gray pine now that I can set my chipper right next to it. :D
Gonna make some biscuits and gravy for dinner.

Thats gross man
It's not gross when my mechanic gets any vehicle in within 3 days of me asking, fixes my stuff cheaper then if I take away from work time to do it, doesn't break my stones on state inspection, and instead of selling me a used steering column, and sits and thumbs through exploded diagrams and researches for a half hour to see if my part I need can be purchased. Just for me to come pick up and he only makes $10 bucks on the deal.

I love my mechanic. He has had the opportunity to stick me hard several times on electrical issues, and he keeps it honest and fair each time.. He ALWAYS jumps through hoops to do quality work, ASAP, and save me some money. If you guys met him, and sent your trucks there, you'd give him a big smooch too. No tongue. Anymore, its cheaper for me to send my larger problems to him. I have never been able to say that before.

I killed a HUGE pecan today, had to strip it down to a big snag to be thrown at a later date. All bucket work, huge leads swinging perfect. My buddy Mike was shatting his britches on a couple of them, but he trusts me.

It doesn't get any better than this. Crikey, I love my job. Mcdonalds can kiss my lily white ass.

It doesn't get any better than this. Crikey, I love my job. Mcdonalds can kiss my lily white ass.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Did some more 'hazard-wooding' -- most of it by throw-line & pull down. Only got to climb once but it was a good long climb and a beautiful day. :)

Chris it would sound a whole lot better if you lied and said your mechanic was female. :P
Brian I did the same yesterday, although not too bad. Worked all day by myself on a Red Oak removal. When I bent over to grab the rake before getting in the truck I jammed my toe and fell on the rake. Damn, that hurt bent my thumb the complete wrong way. Much better today after ice and beer.;)

Wow, Stephen, a NEON STRIPED CROPPED TEE...and in domestic poly rayon, that is totally awesome!

Humping tree jobs for four days straight, two very different environments. Today was a big wide open space and hot as heck, seemed like a desert at times. The other place is very pastoral, like an oasis. Removing offending limbs off Zelkovas, and I even managed to crush a few of someone's potato plants. :roll: They will survive, however. I was talking to the neighbor person earlier that had a little vegetable patch scrubbed in on some unused ground, and it took a little fortitude on my part. One side of his face was rather badly distorted and severely lumped out and he was missing an eye, i would guess that possibly cancer is running amok. Just something that you don't see very often in regular circles. Rather ghastly to not try to observe. Living in an old and mostly vacant appearing apartment building next door, he said for twenty-five years. He seemed happy to have someone that would chat with him....poor fella. He called out to me a nice greeting when I left, something that means an appreciating of efforts that were put out, referring to the tree work.

That Husky 262xp I posted a photo of at the Nippon auction, nobody else bid on it. Coming to papa and with the handle heater, I'm looking forward to it.

I think I'm retireng from mechanical work, seems like everything else, they expect it for free! I can sell my tools and make more, I don't know what's happened with people, but it's sure F'd up!

Back