How'd it go today?

Back in the early nineties. I ran a trucking company that moved cars from the northeast to Florida. All our car haulers had many sliders. That were mainly a square tube in a square tube. We used a product that sprayed on then dried hard and was quite slippery. I think it was called Lubri-plate. Grease will attract road dirt and probably accelerate wear unless you clean it often. Brian you should try it.

I've heard saw dust is very, very abusive from the folks who used to fix the spider lift where I worked.

I'm just curious if the grease would do more than good mixed with the sawdust. A dry lube sure would be a better bet.

Got to visit a couple of old friends today. That Manzanita we righted from a year ago last winter, and a canyon live oak/golden cup oak.
Just changed the bandages on the manzanita... as you can see, HO has been mulching. We have to move the slings and guys every year due to the thin bark.
Maintenance prune on the oak. I think the HO is going to have me cable a section of the tree. Giving her the estimate tonight. I took it over a few years ago. It had either lost a couple major laterals from storm or previous owner.
Seth worked hard and lounged up in the big comfy spot when I was done with my measuring. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20120419_133808.jpg
    IMG_20120419_133808.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20120419_133909.jpg
    IMG_20120419_133909.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20120419_144025.jpg
    IMG_20120419_144025.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20120419_133647.jpg
    IMG_20120419_133647.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20120419_133725.jpg
    IMG_20120419_133725.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 5
I've got some of that open gear lube in the garage .After work today I'll get the number off of it .

In other news I'm getting that bunch of chains straightened out finally .Couldn't figure out where all the 24" loops came from ,like a dozen .They are all Toms' bent up chains from his truck tool boxes .All Stihl chains to boot .Saved them all ,they weren't as screwed up as I thought .All told I filed or repaired around 20 various loops so far .

We finished a couple of small takedowns and a crown lift/deadwooding much faster than planned today.
So to reward ourselves we went out and rec climbed a nice oah, we came across while logging this winter.

We actually thinned the small undergrowth under it, which was fun to look at from above.

The apprentice got to do his first real limbwork and was he ever stoked!:)

P1010789.JPG P1010797.JPG P1010801.JPG P1010812.JPG

Stig, that's cool you still have an apprentice system over there. Not too much of that here, except maybe plumbers and electricians.

I wrecked a pretty good sized double stem Spruce this morning.

Just went to unload logs I had on the trailer for the saw mill and a pivot pin on the grapple sheared off. DAMNIT! I'm thinking I can fix it easily with a 1.25" cotter pin, but it's got to get ordered.:|:

Stig, that's cool you still have an apprentice system over there. Not too much of that here, except maybe plumbers and electricians.

We have a program for Arborists here, I am proud to say I had a good part in helping create it with a number of other folks, our first set of students finished their first semester of school learning and are now out on their practicum getting their hours in before they can write the final exam and take the practical assessment. :)

Drove up to Kansas City yesterday. This morning, the bus wouldn't start. $250.00 jump start later, everything is good. Won't be turning it off until tomorrow when we get back home.

I'm glad it wasn't my $250.00 paying the bill. :)

I wonder how much extra fuel I'm gonna burn today? Don't care about that either. ha.

Why 250 dollars?

Because calling a service vehicle to come out for a big truck is more expensive than calling somebody out for a passenger vehicle. Additionally, a big diesel requires much more power to start than a gas motor. My truck has two huge batteries connected in tandem in order to supply the amperage necessary to crank it over and mine is just a 225 hp straight six. Dennis' bus might have three batteries.

Back