How'd it go today?

Been busier than hell here. Worked all weekend in massive winds, picked up some storm damage. On Saturday afternoon we got called to a home with a failed spruce. It had busted clean off the stump were it was rotten as hell and than wedged itself between the house and another spruce. My main man Graham climbed up a neighbouring spruce and was just about to drop in to get a line on it to secure it and 'timber'. Over it went straight down beside the house, just clipped the eaves and smashed a gate but no other damage. Homeowner was lucky. It was dicey the wind was howling still and the tree Graham climbed was the next one in a line of five spruce that included the one that had just let loose in this storm. Today we cleaned that one up and I increment bored the remaining trees, little to no rot in the rest which was a relief to say the least for the homeowner. They weren't huge but they'd be a big bill to remove due to access, hovering around 30" dbh but only maybe 75' tall?

We don't get alot of stormwork around here but it is starting to become more common.

I don't know for sure what the score is at this point, but it has to be pretty close :D.

You'd have laughed had you seen me today!

I was working a nice stand of medium sized beech, just right for an 18" bar.
At the furthest part of the area, about 1½ mile from my truck, the forester had marked two trees that apparently were from the previous generation.
I didn't feel like hiking back for another saw, so decided to fell them with the 18".
I got them down, but it looked like a beaver on amphetamine had been at them.:lol:

Somehow my biggest trees felled with short bars always seem to come about because I get stubborn about not hiking out for reinforcements.

Yet another day off here, work is somewhat slow and with all the snow that was still on the ground and in the trees we decided it wasn't worth it today. So I ran my GTI up to get it checked out cause the check engine light came on and it's been acting a bit weird. They thought it was just a loose sensor, so they fixed that but it came back on a few hours later, so they went over it all again and found a loose O-ring, runs like a champ now. Great service at this small place, in and out, no charges.

Not much planned for the rest of the day. Hitting mid 60's right now, so they snow is melting away fast, cabling job lined up for tomorrow, should be fun, a large Ginkgo tree.

Got up this morning to ice and rain mix coming down. Katy went over to the kids charter school and then down to the valley to a friends to spend the night with the kids. I ain't working in this unless it is an emergency and I have to work tomorrow when it clears. So a quiet day off of rest for me :)

I got the damned income or rather nincompoop tax done today .Not a big deal just something I always dread although it only takes a couple of hours .Al is a mechanic not a freakin CPA .

I'd pay someone if it took me longer than ten minutes to Turbo Tax my shit. My refunds on the way the day the mailman delivers my W-2's.

Our taxes are relatively simple .We don't owe on anything so it's just standard deductions plus a few investments and a rental house .

The cheap azzed state plus the feds don't send out the forms any more and would like everyone to e-file .Not this old dinosaur until they take away the other options .

What the 'ell is this coming to ? The damned CPA's are running the businesses and IT people are setting policy .Good grief .

Just got home from a 932 mile motorcycle trip. Left Monday for Houston, TX. Spent Tuesday night in Dallas with my son.

I'm tired. Think I will just goof off the rest of the evening. :)

Worked on some trails we had cleared in the past. Seems last winter and the wind storm we had a while back cluttered them up. Funny what you find out in the woods :lol:
The HOs son has made a bunch of mobiles and hung them all over the place.. This was a big one.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 9
Somehow, that would not surprise me. That one had mirrors hanging off it. Kind weird when you are cutting downed limbs and little flashes keep hitting the corner of your eye :/:
Some had crystals... He finds stuff and recycles it this way as well ......

Back