How'd it go today?

I had an old one myself Paul. Probably Korean war issue. Sort of lost track of it after a couple garage fires in my past. I loved that ol heavy thing. I used to catch so much shat from the other guys in scouts that had the lighter aluminium and new fangled stuff from the 70s :lol:
If you hit someone with mine.. probably be dain bramaged .

I think mine are both steel pan and aluminum 'plate' 1 is 1952 and the other is 1941, the handles are definitely steel, yet they are still fairly light. Can easily stuff a cutlery set, salt/pepper shaker and wash cloth inside when stowed.

lol, one of my favorite youtube mess kit cooks, the perfessor.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IMZFaAioM3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Butch, I just gave him a down payment. Not sure on total yet but the model i am having built starts at $18k. That won't include the custom sculpting of the peg-head or the electronics I'm having installed. I expect his basses to sell for 25-30k within the next Ten years; it is an investment that I hope does better than the stock market.

Been looking at 1 ton chip trucks this week. not finding a bunch but there are a few out there worth looking at.

Dave, so your buying an instrument that you love playing, makes you happy, and is going to be an investment that will potentially make you money?! It does not get any better than that, way to go man!

Here is one of the carved peg heads Dan has done on a double bass. Mine will be the head of a bloodhound. I am looking forward to being involved in the building process. Dan is very meticulous and this is a custom build so he wants me very involved. He is building a viola right now and picking out wood for my Bass. looking at curly and birds-eye Maple for the back, sides and neck.

GetAttachment-5.jpg

That's waycool, Dave! How long is this expected to take? In the meantime, you can build your bass like this fellow!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j0tAOIQiz-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy, it would be cool to get a couple small pieces of wood from Jay or Stig to use in the build and have a truly international Treehouse flavor.

Boy, it would be cool to get a couple small pieces of wood from Jay or Stig to use in the build and have a truly international Treehouse flavor.

I was thinking the same thing.
If it had been a fiddle, I have some old Rio rosewood that would be great for the pegs.

Went for a drive with Kat, Lilly and Levi. We went up to Sonora and Columbia just North of us. Was a nice drive even for a rainy day. Katy got some stuff to make candles with. Levi and Lilly got some stuff at the candy shoppe and the learning centre. Both really cool old towns from back in the days of mining to visit if anyone is ever out our way.

I doubt they were virgins, you know how it goes.

Stig, a week ago re the trucking company and your lawn, good story! But how were you going to nuke the guy's email system?

Neat idea. I would be pleased to send a piece of one of our local species, if your builder thinks that he might have a use for it.

Stig, a week ago re the trucking company and your lawn, good story! But how were you going to nuke the guy's email system?

I wasn't threatening his e-mail system, just saying that it didn't work, since he never answered my e-mails to him.

They showed up 2 days ago and fixed the lawn:)

Dan is currently checking here in MI for wood. I am not sure exactly what he looks at other than grain, composition, and age of the wood. He is considering using wood from Europe, but warned me it raises the price extremely.

I'll talk to him a bit more about it in the near future and mention this though. If we can't all the materials from here in MI, i like the idea of collaborating with my friends here on acquiring them. I'll see if I can get some specs form Dan on what he requires and pass it on...

I am already ordering a Yamahiko pickup system from Japan so sort of have the international thing going already haha.

Well..... I was going to try and kill that Cedar today. HO called just now and told me there is a freezing mist and a wife with a migraine up at his place. Running a saw aloft in those conditions....... could be too dangerous.... :/:
Now I will decide what to do with the day.....

Took the kids sledding in the snow for their first time ever. It was a blast!
Ha! I took my kid out a couple days ago to a little hill in the neighborhood, we forgot to get him a sled so it was the heavy duty garbage bag slider. Was the best thing I had handy, now he is asking for a crazy carpet :O

Back