How'd it go today?

Man you guy are just so darn busy doing such great things.

I got up a 1:30 am, wrote for 12 hours, went to the pub and swilled a couple with friends. Home now and dinner is just about ready for my sweetheart. Highlight of my day.

Gerry, you are a riot.

Bren, is that a 4wd ALC? Looks heavy duty. So Harlond has a tree service but no climber? The town cleaned it up? Sweet.

Stig, from a couple pages ago, are you saying you split wood all day, by hand?? Wow. I could go hard for a couple of hours, but that'd be it.

Yeah, I mean there have been some great writers that would go for a drink and then come home and have horrendous fights with their wives....Dylan Thomas comes to mind. Jerry cooks dinner for his sweetheart! It seems very enlightened to me.

did an "emergency" job today. storm damaged firs from 3 weeks ago. i guess the emergency was we could only schedule the job for today or two weeks out. kind of a fun job. one fir was a co-dominant that dropped one top, dropped that one whole. then there were two more big firs that were cut in half years ago and lo and behold, huge sucker tops didnt hold up to the storm. had to climb up and cut them free (the broken tops). everything stayed, no clean-up. we dodnt do jobs like that too often, i like it.

Brian, the white gmc is the towns truck to change light bulbs. lol. Im talking about the red int, ALOC. Nasty truck.

That k member looks nice brian, I remember my brother doing the same to his. The difference in weight and size were amazing.

Cory, it's a 99 Int., 4x4, automatic, ALOC. Burly truck. Harlond has built himself an empire, hes got two skidders, forwarders, log truck, many 6 wheel 10 wheel dumps, firewood processor, many small dump trucks, two big chippers, gorgeous shop and property, kubota like yours, and a vast array of other equipment, and NO Climber. He said most his work he gets his truck too. He'll dump chips in front and back of a stone wall and drive over it. He doesn't give a shit, fast and dirty tree service. I've been working with him on larger stuff, and climbing jobs starting this year. He's a good guy, just different style of work.

The town did the raking and wood removal, we had to chip everything up to 15" more or less.

Looks good Brian... Well done... You really are putting your sig on that thing with the mods you are doing. Fun project and car :thumbup:

Brushed out a good sized dying gray pine today.,. Over 36" DBH, 85 foot high and about a 60 plus foot spread. LZ was too small so I reduced it:evil:
Had to use the maasdam to pull stuff off to one side or another. Had some primaries to miss and minimize damage in the oaks below. HO was ok with some damage to the smaller trees to keep the cost down. Tops were hinging nicely so 15-20 foot sections were bombed out when I could. Finish chipping the brush and drop the stem tomorrow. Then buck the wood and deliver it to a client.
The Wraptor rocks! Made going up to a 75' tie in easy as pie. Had to go up on the out side of the canopy though... That was a first with me on a motorized ascender... weird... HO was definitely impressed :thumbup:

Cory, it's a 99 Int., 4x4, automatic, ALOC. Burly truck. Harlond has built himself an empire, hes got two skidders, forwarders, log truck, many 6 wheel 10 wheel dumps, firewood processor, many small dump trucks, two big chippers, gorgeous shop and property, kubota like yours, and a vast array of other equipment, and NO Climber. He said most his work he gets his truck too. He'll dump chips in front and back of a stone wall and drive over it. He doesn't give a shit, fast and dirty tree service. I've been working with him on larger stuff, and climbing jobs starting this year. He's a good guy, just different style of work.

Ha, awesome little story! What town is he from? Dumping chips on either side of stonewall and then going for it?? That rocks/is hilarious!

Sort of walked, pushed... A lot of it was dead... Often I just push myself out a little further to get over and around stuff and feathered the trigger. Some stuff I could just break out of my path.
I always am vigilant of sticks getting in the sheeve

I forgot to mention Paul, there was also a slight lean to the leader I ascended into placing me further out from the tree stem. Straight up the stem was going to be a job of it with all the brush (small live oaks) below the tree and the down sloping clutter of dead branches. The outer part of the limbs seemed the way to go.

I am also vigilant of the back up as well ;)
This tree would have truly sucked with out the Wraptor Paul. Thing just plain kicks ass. I came down from going up and down those stems with plenty of energy left. Only used the Wraptor for the entry and direct access to my high TIP. This thing had shatty codoms through out. Rob lowered the Wraptor and I went to work. Tops flying.
The tree became more manageable than the PIA it could have been.

Good day today, first day of work in awhile, work is slow this week. Next week it should pick up, got a few large trees to climb and prune, and a few sweet removals as well.

Tomorrow will be fun, working for my part time employer, doing some small/medium removals and fence clearence. Thats what I did today, got some spur time in, and some falling time as well. Looking forward to tomorrow, got the crappy stuff cleared out today for the most part, so tomorrow I could just focus on the funner stuff lol.

that's funny, I'm putting my pickup on craigslist too have to upgrade the single cap pickup isn't going to cut it with the new baby to be here in a few weeks...

jp:D

Went to a Phoenix Suns basketball game Wednesday night. Here are the Suns girls and the OU Spirit squad.
Suns.jpg

Last night, after a long day, had dinner with the POM girls.
Dinner.jpg

Football game kicks off tonight at 8:00 p.m.

B, what's the name of his company?

And speaking of rearmount ALCs, I gotta say,the way they look, they are sexy. Harlonds looked sweet, and today I passed one that was parked in a driveway. Silver truck with yellow scratched up booms, kinda ugly color scheme but the truck is so short- wheelbased and has such a functional look to it, it just has a very cool look for a piece of equipment. I love 'em.

If you relate an ALC to a weapon, I think of mine as a stilhetto, just a quick simple shot between the ribs, no muss no fuss, simple and efficient.;)

It was the last work day of the year for me .They cut us loose an hour early which was nice after a stint of 12 hour days .Freakin robotics programs will drive a person nuts .At least I have an excuse .:lol:

I think New Years eve Tom and lady are coming out for steaks on the grill .Amatuer night and I'm not into that bar hopping stuff any more . I used to think it was fun though .;)

Another typical day. woke up at 2 am. wrote til noon. Showered. Then went and shipped out books and videos. After that I went to the pub and swilled a couple with friends. Home now and surfing. Finding good info through the searches to write about. I'm burned out with that. Terri will be home soon and we're going out for dinner. That will be the highlight of my day.

Yeah!

Was able to shoot a rigging line into a 40' madrona with a dead leader hanging toward a greenhouse on a windy day. Then shoot lines to tip tie two different leaders, cut at base and lower them off. Neighbor let me jump the rigging point leader over the fence, with an inch of clearance. Didn't have to leave the ground. Two tarp loads of brush, maybe half a cord of sweet firewood (30 million btu's per cord, compared to around 20-22 for doug-fir) for next year. Prevailing wage job for the school down the street from me. Over a $100/ hr for just myself and a trailer.

Got the contact info for the landlord of the neighboring property with a much, much bigger dead madrone hanging over the school yard fence. Hope to get that one, too.

I originally bid for that tree to the school, as I thought the field beyond the fence was school property. Got it approved by the Maintenance Supervisor. Was ready to do it until I asked several times about access to the area. Then she said it wasn't school property. MBA but no common sense, and didn't even look to see what I was bidding on. I brought that one and another significant sized dead madrona on the school playground to the school attention. Go figure.

Back