How'd it go today?

Sorry about how the job worked out Dylan.... One door closed another open thing ... ;)

Killed a 20" DBH leaning blue oak over part of a house and then pruned another off the same roof and with the same basic tie in. 2 climbs as I had to fell the one spar so we could lower the other limbs off the other tree. Lady happy, got paid, went home quite early to another check in the mail and sent out some more billing.
I boo'd boo'd though... All that lowering (not really a whole bunch, but some good sized stuff and balanced limbs) and one little limb I pitched brushed one of those plastic gutters and broke a bracket. Dang.. Spent more gas trying to find the little bugger. Everyone thought they had it... HA. Wrong... Wrong... Oh look... you do! Of course it is always the last stop :lol:
But .. HO is going to just go ahead and pay me to blow out her gutters on three buildings when I fix it... TADA.. :lol:
Silver lining...
Paid some bills, made some dinner, kids in bed.. Did some books...Sold a cabling system... time to chill :)

Just about finished putting up the frame I've been working on. Worked this evening and last by moonlight.:lol: I just have to finish the seat cut on three of the addition rafters and put them on tomorrow and we'll be done with the raising.

I got asked this weekend to build a fully timber framed covered bridge.

me: What's the span?
TD: 20'
me: That's not bad, we could cut a nice King post truss for that. What's the max payload?
TD: D-8.
me: :O

Apparently the plan is to just build a bridge that will just support the walls and roof, and the deck will be wood over steel, and independent of the timber work.

Here is a different take on the captive ring:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wnv0DAR_gWA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wnv0DAR_gWA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

First 12 hour day today working in Central Park. Awesome time there, met a great climber who I love working with. We traded back and forth climbing, great time. We're chasing hangers mostly, and man, are there plenty of them. I would kill for a Wraptor right now. We've been doing 50'+ ascents all day, just to get one or two limbs. After the first few I was like, yeah, we need a Wraptor. So much more would get done. But o well, we both have SRT Frog Systems, so that helps a lot. I footlocked up one tree and had to stop and rest a few times. Doing the same thing tomorrow, then the other climber is leaving. Hopefully it isn't too bad when he leaves, only guy I've gotten along with well since coming down here.

Did you meet McCarthy yet? or oldirty?

Rborist, bypass filters filter a very small flow of oil , this enables it to filter it down to about 1 micron. Your regular filter will filter it down to about 40 microns. most engine wear comes from particulates in the 10 micron range, so your existing filter does nothing for those. With a full flow filter you can run longer oil change intervals and get virtually NO ENGINE WEAR.

Google FS 2500.

Im a cheap bastid and have them on my stuff.......

Day was pretty nerve wracking. A really good sized live oak that took down a valley oak that took down a live oak and left hangers and a mess in a wash.... Shat still up in the air... root balls we hauled back to upright with mechanical advantage to keep them out of the wash... 066 and 046 most all day. Shot lines into the hangers and broke them out of trees. All this was just to safety the mess and cut the bigger stuff so the HO could brush it out and gather firewood. Twisted, cracked, pinched, some sprung loaded in 3-4 directions between trees and most head level up to 12 foot high still in the air. Crikey! what a mess. I think Rob got some pics and I am having the HO e mail some befores... I am whooped.
Came home and made a turkey dinner and sharpened all the square chisel chain loops we rocked on granite today.. Did I forget to mention this mess being all across granite rocks???:|:
Be nice to just go fell some gray pines tomorrow on the ranch... 8)
At least I did not have to climb for hangers. :D

Yup.... think out and plan about every cut. I even bought extra wedges for this one... Brought two pry bars. About every saw I have JIC. Oodles of chain... chains, straps... about everything we might need. One of those you worry with every cut if something is going to roll or bounce and break someone.

Did you meet McCarthy yet? or oldirty?

Yep, met McCarthy, he's a trip lol.

Good day today, only 4 or 5 trees, and nothing huge either. I helped Russel(contract climber/bucket operator) for most of the day, doing ground work while he was in the bucket. Got to use a chipper winch for the first time also today, and man, that thing is awesome.

On a side note, we saw a Red Tail hawk grab and eat some smaller bird. He swooped down and grabbed it, then perched on a limb about 20ft above us and just went to town on it. Feather falling everywhere lol.

Tis better to tote it and not need it than need it and not have it! Big snarly messes get the blood flowing that's for sure.

Day was pretty nerve wracking. A really good sized live oak that took down a valley oak that took down a live oak and left hangers and a mess in a wash.... Shat still up in the air... root balls we hauled back to upright with mechanical advantage to keep them out of the wash... 066 and 046 most all day. Shot lines into the hangers and broke them out of trees. All this was just to safety the mess and cut the bigger stuff so the HO could brush it out and gather firewood. Twisted, cracked, pinched, some sprung loaded in 3-4 directions between trees and most head level up to 12 foot high still in the air. Crikey! what a mess. I think Rob got some pics and I am having the HO e mail some befores... I am whooped.
Came home and made a turkey dinner and sharpened all the square chisel chain loops we rocked on granite today.. Did I forget to mention this mess being all across granite rocks???:|:
Be nice to just go fell some gray pines tomorrow on the ranch... 8)
At least I did not have to climb for hangers. :D

Wow! That's one productive day, dude!

I killed some small cedars and a juniper. Trimmed a juniper, pruned a small mountain ash. Looked at a drop only job (my favorite) and booked a small hourly gig for tomorrow afternoon. Stumpgrinding and maybe a tree guard install if there's time before the hourly gig.

If the drop only job comes through and I can get to it this week I will have made more in 3 days for myself than a week with my last 2 employers. Not bad for a scramble...

I need a 4x4 pick up though.

CTM, I musta missed were you're on your own now. You'll never look back. Are you working up the valley at all? I got a contact who does alot of work on the westside of Kelowna and down to about Peachland, he's a character but the money's always there, I'm about done driving down there though for the odd day I'm to busy up here. Cut and run jobs are the best, hope you get it.

I'm working with my uncle again now, my main man has headed up north to fall on the seismic lines for oil exploration for the winter months. He'll be back in the spring so it works out good for both of us. Kinda nice being the cutter/climber again, although I'm sure that feeling will pass as the temp keeps dropping lol.

Spent the day at a lower elevation at the ranch felling gray pines along part of a mile long driveway. That and pruned a couple little blue oaks off a 5th wheel she just bought. Relaxing day being served coffee and chocolates while felling trees... No chipping.. Got paid over another cup of coffee and a couple pounds of hamburger from some seriously prime beef... Life is good. She loved her walking stick made from her sour orange I pruned last year.
Life just felt good today :)

Down side.. Katy hit a deer last night and FUBAR'd the grill on the van :(

That's what I told her... She woke me up sobbing about it. She loves animals so killing the deer really hurt her heart. And stressing over the van was tearing her up as well... She was still a tad upset this afternoon over it :(
I was just happy I was not being called by the PO PO that they had pulled a van out of a canyon at 12AM.

Back