How'd it go today?

Over grown pollarded mulberry the son used to take care of. Had a lot of ugly cuts I cleaned up.
Then I raised a couple of small sequoia. They both need more attention to detail and dead, but the HO just wants his insurance to pass inspection.
I am whooped. Dang sequoias were a tangled mess..... ARRRG :P

Before...
PA310020.jpg PA310021.jpg

After....

PA310030.jpg PA310031.jpg

Before.....

PA310022.jpg

After......

Attachments

• PA310029.jpg
    PA310029.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 71
Just in for a quick break and a bite to eat. I was working around the corner and had to take a leak so bad, I came down outta the tree and said frig it! To the house fo a sec...

I miss anything? It's a beautiful day, here!

Nice, Stephen.
The problem about repollarding trees is that you are stuck with what the first guy on the scene did.

That mulberry could have been done more balanced.

Next week I'm re-pollarding about 20 fair size lindens.
Whoever did the first pollard , did not have an eye for making trees look good.

When I post the pictures, remember that I just followed his/her lead:(

Agreed Stig... I personally would have removed that one arched limb in the front and evened the tree more. Too late for other parts of the tree I feel. Then again.. it is a mulberry...
The HO actually had his son leave that arched one. He likes it as it shades over an arbor on the walk way and the parking area on the side of the road.... To each their own. Not my tree. I just try and balance the tree and owner. And the tree does not pay the tab :)

I like yer truck set up there Stephen. Looks familiar...

Installed a tree guard system in a small codom Austrian pine, and took out a small Siberian elm. One more bites the dust for the quest.

Just ordered another Tree Guard system from Wesspur, one of these days we're gonna have to get that kit. Gotta sell a few more, though. A good trick for the bury, rather than using a marker as a fid (which is a pita) is to use a coat hanger bent in half. Clean off the burs so it don't pick the 12 strand, slip the bury in btw the bent end of the coat hanger, tape it up, and she pulls through nice and easy. A little massaging necessary though, but not near as difficult to work as the marker trick.

we started a two day euc removal with crane today. worked till 5:30, im beat. first head was almost directly over the crane with no tie-in, boom kept bumping the limbs as he tried to sneak it through a hole to get the pick. i have to admit i was a little freaked out. once i got into the rest and had a decent tie-in i felt much better. second half of the day i worked on the ground and my boss took a turn in the tree. i got some good video of him rolling some picks:what:. going to a safety seminar tomorrow, so ill miss the second day, there's about 60 foot of wood left and a butt log at around 8 foot in diameter. glad i don't have to rip THAT log! pics as soon as i re-charge my camera. cheers. jaime

I like yer truck set up there Stephen. Looks familiar...

Installed a tree guard system in a small codom Austrian pine, and took out a small Siberian elm. One more bites the dust for the quest.

Just ordered another Tree Guard system from Wesspur, one of these days we're gonna have to get that kit. Gotta sell a few more, though. A good trick for the bury, rather than using a marker as a fid (which is a pita) is to use a coat hanger bent in half. Clean off the burs so it don't pick the 12 strand, slip the bury in btw the bent end of the coat hanger, tape it up, and she pulls through nice and easy. A little massaging necessary though, but not near as difficult to work as the marker trick.

I think I actually have two systems sold.. I need to remember that trick.. thanks. I may buy the kit anyway. but hey... Ya never know.
Yeah, the Gypo mobile works ok.. 1.5 loads of chips yesterday. I got lucky and got to unload right in town at the dudes restaurant. He is mulching everything on two properties right now :D Worked out dandy.. Brought some home for the garden :)
Hey Stehanson.... I finally replaced the power steering pump.. evicted that squirrel so to speak :lol:

TCIA Expo starts tomorrow, pretty psyched about that. My crane workshop got postponed though, due to the epic snow storm, until at best early December, worst early January. Trying to figure out what to do in the next few days.

Loaded up the frame I've been working on for the raising Saturday. Picked up my new set of real, not home-made cobbed, pallet forks. Been waiting almost 11 years for them.:D Somebody at Wood-Mizer in Indy saw my Dutch Barn model on the Forestry Forum and sent me a scale model LT-40 in the mail today for a photo op.:)

TCIA Expo starts tomorrow, pretty psyched about that. My crane workshop got postponed though, due to the epic snow storm, until at best early December, worst early January. Trying to figure out what to do in the next few days.
Come to Medford, not that big of a trip:D

Output bearing on the bucket trucks transmission is going out. Got a small morning job to do and then after a few bids I hope I can find parts locally so I can use it again Friday!

The strangest thing happened yesterday .I was in the woods bucking the firewood out of the oak top .Out of the blue here comes this guy just to shoot the breeze evidently because he heard the saw running and couldn't believe the rpm's it was pulling .Never seen a modified saw evidently .

Long story but the guy is wrecking out an old barn next door which was getting in pretty bad shape .He takes down one or two a year of these things and burns the beams for firewood .I thought it odd but different strokes for different folks I guess .

Even more rare to find somebody that disassembles old barns just to get firewood .

My wife knows the guy who is an excentric millonaire ,inherited it all .He just does as he damned well pleases.Piddles around with a brand new diesel dump truck and a large Melroe Bobcat tracked skidloader that must have cost 60 grand . It is a dandy .Had a big clamp gizmo on it like those wheel loaders in the redwood thread .

well i went and bought me some new stihl chains for my saws and getting ready to do some more trees for a customer.and then go cut some more fire wood hopefully before it rains tonight and tomarrow.

It would probably be a better deal to disassemble old barns for reclaimed lumber.

Used to get better money for the reclaimed lumber than I wood fire wood from an old barn. Back when I lived in MA anyway. And the slate roof would make some money as well.....

My bud had a Wood Mizer they craned up to the 6th or seventhth floor roof opening. They craned a Bobcat up too. They disassembled and sawed the long leaf yellow pine and craned out the lumber. When that floor was done they craned down to the next floor. Kept him busy for one winter. He would saw 1000 board feet in a short day and collect $250. The owner, who was getting paid to take down the building, would get $5000 for the 1000 bd. ft..

Went to the ear doctor today and sadly got confirmed that it is not a case of everybody around me mumbling, but me being more than half deaf.
Remember how I've been harping on modded saws being too loud?
Well, even running factory saws and being careful about ear protection, if you do it long enough ( 30+ years) the saws will win.
I made up my mind to have my hearing tested after going to California/Oregon this spring.
I realized that my " excuse me" + "what" frequency had gone way up, and the only reason I got by at home was my ability to lip read.
Driving around with the Beraneks nailed it.
Jerry has a very deep voice and he articulates wonderfully, so I had no problem picking up what he said. Everybody else was just a lot of mumbles.

Anyway, I'm due for a $6000 pair of waterproof hearing aids ( I'll post them in the gear thread when I get them) so I can use them for karate, too. Not shock proof though, so I'll have to take them off for sparring.

Sure sucks getting old!

Do any of you use hearing aids?
I'll be interesting to hear about your experience with them.

I'll look forward to your reports on how you do with them, Stig. I fear i'm heading that way, too. Melanie gets pretty frustrated at my "what" frequency...and I then get frustrated at her shouting at me so as to assure she's heard. Ought to follow your lead and have my ears tested.

Back