How'd it go today?

About the only time you might find it is where they have 277 lighting .

On that at one time we had to create a neutral on 480 delta by using a transformer hook called a zig zag auto transformer .It's just three 480 to 120 transformers with a wild wiring scheme .It's probabley a google thing in case anyone is interested .

Scratched my eye this am, gave up about noon and went to the Dr. they put a contact in till tomorow to protect it and gave me some near useless eyedrops, just getting to the point I can keep both eyes open. Should be good to go in the am

ouch, something get around the protection or are you paying the price for not donning the gear? I got a few zingers around my glasses today, usually happens when I am on the line trimmer for a few hours, my model like high cheekbones deflect stuff ever so perfectly around my glasses it seems. :D

same problem I had years ago when I took a twig to the eye. wore the glasses all day then left them on the dash when I went to the dump to unload. oops.

In the case of three phase 120/208 it's a y connected bank which gives 120 volts to ground from any of the three legs and 208 between the phases .Simple on y to figure ,single phase voltage times the square root of 3 which is 1.73 . Electrical trivia 101 .

Ahhh jeeze Al, a refresher course from 6 or so years ago. That confounded house I've been sitting for has required this knowledge a lot. Between organizing the wiring to the panels and identifying circuits(9 panels total) and sorting out the fried controls to the elevator, it was kind of nice to play with some 3ph stuff instead of low voltage DC circuits. :lol:

In other news, I found out just how much they are gonna bust my bollocks in relation to my financial aid package. I'm limited to 5 specific classes, that I can spread over the next 2 semesters. I'm limited to BIO 101, Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, Microbiology, and Intro to Psychology, roughly 19 credit hours... so I'm looking at 12 this semester and 7 next semester. Now I've got to figure out what I'm going to do if I can't get into the online BIO 101 class.

If I can't, between A&P and BIO 101, and I can't find anyone to divy up the costs with, the lab instructor(same one for both classes), has specified out $400.00 in lab supplies, plus shipping. If I can take the BIO class online, I'm out a paltry $250.00 plus shipping for A&P, and it better be for 2 semester worth of supplies. It wouldn't be so bad, but A: this is separate of the college bookstore (IE can not be rolled into the tuiton), and B, isn't this what lab fees are for??? This is insult to injury when you factor the cost of the textbooks. :roll:

Now that I've resized all the pics...

Work from today. The customer bought this machine from another plant, and had it moved there. This thing didn't run before it was moved... for like ten years. :dur: I love my job.

It's a 1950 Vaughn 6/7HR MotoBloc. Six 45HP D.C. motors.

2011-08-18_08-23-56_884sm.jpg 2011-08-18_09-01-57_931sm.jpg 2011-08-18_10-00-57_595sm.jpg 2011-08-18_10-40-27_156sm.jpg 2011-08-18_11-16-35_98sm.jpg 2011-08-18_12-58-00_539sm.jpg 2011-08-18_13-37-22_928sm.jpg

I got hit in the eye with a small piece of bark today while tossing a throw line.... Amazing how they sometimes get around the safety glasses. Got a black eye once from the FS250. Chunk of bark from a pine on the ground. Came up and bounced off my chest, got under my helmet screen bounced about and hit me just beneath the safety glasses. I would hate to think what that could have done with out PPE on !
Careful Willie!

Had a wake up call for the crew and me today. Had a 3/4 Tenex eye sling fail on a 6'8"19in oak, last piece before the flop, no damages to life limb or property. Sure did rock my world as it slammed the root flare:O Shocked also that as the sling had not once been abused or heavily loaded and new seven months ago.
Trying to catch up on some reading tonight. Planters wart near the ball of my foot out tomorrow:D

Good to read ya all!

I've long since given up on safety glasses. I wear my regular ones. It seems all the side shields ever did was knock stuff INTO my eye instead of keeping it out, anyways.

Man... that's some heap force to snap that sucker!

Erik and Al, yeah, I got thinking about it this morning, there might be a difference between Delta and Wye. I don't know a lot about it, but I try to learn as much as I can. That's why I consult my friends that build hydro plants before I do any wiring.:lol:

How much fall factor?
Sling 6in from botom of notch and rope tied near a foot from top of face.
3/4! dang! Where did it fail??
The eye held with the block, broke clean at the tuck of the splice leaving about 3in of the bury.

Also Willie two wraps plenty of run room.

Green log chart says that should be 1206 pounds. Thats roughly 5400 pounds and through a block I believe you would double that if it were locked off for 10,800 pounds. Tenex average breaking strength of 22,400 pounds. Not sure how much the splice weakens that. Something is off...

Made it safely to KY and back. Long drive but well worth it. Met a very cool guy and ended up buying one of his banjos. Made pretty good time the whole way but glad to be back home. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. too bushed tonight...

Not a green log and I felt it odd and shocking to say the least in no way shape or form can i say the dynamics or the situation was one that I would have ever thought it could fail like that I had swapped my metal blocks out for the collored rigging blocks as I was always so worried that one day the edge of one would have me loosing a piece.

3/4 TENEX bull rope about 6 mo older than the sling. I'll snap a picture of the sling and up load the tree it happened in in the am. Cut the production time on the next oak a touch loosing the confidence in the equipment for sure!

Scratched my eye this am, gave up about noon and went to the Dr. they put a contact in till tomorow to protect it and gave me some near useless eyedrops, just getting to the point I can keep both eyes open. Should be good to go in the am
Dude I feel your pain I had a cornia (sp) abrasion a while back and it was nothing big but it hurt like a sum beech. Rest that bad boy.

Back