How'd it go today?

Sorry for your loss also Dave.

Long day with this Oak split out in a rain with fear the other would go. I'd have just waited for it to fall and fix the fence dispite that glad to get it down without a hitch;)
Pictures in work pics thread, love the old cd 2100:D
Brian be easy with the car and the elbow!

Got back to that Canyon Live Oak that was scheduled for earlier in the week. 6 hours of pruning dead wood and cutting off storm damage and hangers. Had to advance the climb line a lot and worked an M system for at least half the day with the tail of the rope. Also set three lines. Thing had quite the spread and several good sized leaders from the base. Came out nice and the HO is having me do about 1 tree a year. Well that and her storm damage when it happens.
Feel like the tree whooped my butt... Everything was in the shade including the chipper as there are three of these trees right next to each other. Still hot and exhausted by the end of the day. I love pruning this species normally, but this one just wore me out. Two more days and I am on vacation ... whoop whoop!!!!
Down side of the day is that customers window is still not fixed. They showed up today with the wrong window :(
Might be my fault..... I can't remember if I told the guy it was a two or four door:|:

Today was brutal. Blew 3 belts on my 1987 chipper. Funny thing is I called up Morbark and the serial number is 167, the guy at the parts store was blown away. Part is on the mainland of course so won't be back up and running until next week. I'm starting to realize why people just buy NICE gear to start out with. My stuff has been down as much as it has been running...

jp:D

Lobster season opens tomorrow! My brother is coming down with his girl and we are heading out in the morning to get some "bugs"!

Jon, thanks for the thoughts. Sorry to read of the equipment failures. Hope you get things up 7 running with a minimum of time and hassle.

Did two medium take downs where we worked yesterday, then went to my house and split a bunch of the big oak rounds from yesterday. Did about half and was getting bored/running out of gas so I had enough for the day.

We spent the last two days clearing out a gypsy camp.

Literally!

One of the wonderful things about the EU and the open border policy is that the gypsies of Eastern Europe migrate up here.

The police evicted about 40 Romanian gypsies from a little stand of trees and schrubs near the center of Copenhagen a while ago.

In order to make sure they didn't return, we were sent in to clearcut the stand ( i could have found a smarter solution, but they paid us to do it, so what the heck!).

Fortunately there had been a municipal crew in to clean up before we got there, what is in the pictures is just the small stuff that they didn't get.

The gypsies had been stockpiling all kind of stuff that they'd stolen from the surrounding area's houses.

Also stripping wires to get the copper is big with them.
A while ago two of them managed to shut down the subway by stealing about 250 feet of high voltage wire.

How they managed to do it without electrocuting themselves , I can't figure out.

P1000941.JPG P1000943.JPG P1000944.jpg

I was thinking of your last job when doing it.

Since we don't have treesitters, I had to come up with some other way of keeping up with the Joneses;)

Dragging brush most of the day and then raking and mowing. String trimmed about half of the place. Now back to brush dragging and moving wood piles 'til dark. I'm getting closer to having the place presentable for visitors on Monday. Sunday should be an easier day with just a bit of trimming and another mowing.

So glad my wife left all the windows open so the house could attain 80 degrees in side...:roll:

Well...better get back at it or I will quit moving for the day...:|:

I mentioned the other day about trying to get my schedule right, and it's just gone down hill from there

Also what's your schedule looking like for the fall? I thought I had mine set at 17 credit hours, but if they don't get the staff replaced(they're hiring all new nursing program instructors... View attachment 34984
announced a couple of weeks ago/month until start date), I'm going to have to change my schedule for the fourth time...

I'm sitting with 15 credit hours scheduled, and I'm wait-listed for one 3 credit hour class. This is great and good but it is worthless if I can't get financial aid, which I found out, with 2 weeks until we start, that I am going to have to file an appeal to try and get financial aid again. It's bad enough to not make it into the RN program due to one class, but it's worse when you don't have any instructors to teach the program, and it's pretty close to rock bottom when you get financial aid pulled out from under you, and still no teachers for the program you're enrolled in. :?

I sent the following letter to my adviser:

Jason's letter said:
Dr So and So,

As you may know, I am a returning student to both college, and my Alma Mater, Paul D. Camp Community College. I returned to Paul D. Camp Community College to learn a new set of skills that would allow me to return to the workforce upon completion, or advance onward into another program (Bachelor's at an institution to be determined).

In doing such, I have encountered an issue with the receiving of financial aid. In the rules and regulations regarding financial aid and the receiving of said funding is a stipulation that you are endowed access of said funds providing you have not met or exceeded an allowable amount of "x number" of credit hours (150% Rule). Upon the completion of my initial degree in 2007, I had done so. I was aware of this issue upon re-application to Paul D. Camp Community College. However, I was never informed of any issues that would result, short of, financial aid having been approved (Pell Grant, Commonwealth Grant, et al) for the 2011 school year, and that all issues were hereby declared resolved. This was until I was made aware of issues on August 5, 2011.

It is because of this issue that I am having to file an appeal to the Financial Aid department, and in doing so, will require a letter of recommendation/reference that I am above all, in good standings academically with Paul D. Camp Community College, having a cumulative GPA of a 3.091, and with you being my adviser for the following programs; Pre-Nursing (221-156-02), and Nurse Aide (221-157-04), I am here forth requesting assistance with the aforementioned letter of reference by;

• Establishing a basis that I am proceeding based on sound previous academic performance
  • Establishing a basis that I am currently admitted into the Nurse Aide Program
  • Establishing a basis that given proper academic performance and all courses meeting as scheduled, I would be completing all coursework during the Spring semester of 2012
  • Establishing the basis that should the Nurse Aide Program fail to meet for the fall semester, I can successfully complete the designated requirements for the completion of the Pre-Nursing Certificate Program, and prepare for a transfer upon the completion of the Spring Semester of 2012.

I appreciate any and all assistance towards resolving the matters that surround this appeal. If you need clarification or further guidance on my behalf, feel free to email me at xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.edu, or reach me at the following numbers; Cell- xxxxxxxxxxx, or Home- xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you,
Jason Yanna

I also submitted a similar letter with the appeal form:
Jason's other tirade of redonkulous proportions said:
To the director of Financial Aid,

I hereby apply for an appeal of my financial aid package knowing here forth of what the requirements will be should I be approved or declined. In doing so, I am appealing to the Financial Aid Department of Paul D. Camp Community College, in bona fide, that I will agree to all terms and conditions of the outcome of the appeal.

As it currently stands, my award is currently being withheld due to exceeding the understood 150% guideline, as set forth in the guidelines for receiving financial aid. However, it must be noted that:
  • I am returning as displaced worker, and as per the guidelines, applied for initially under the On-Ramp program, covered under the American Recovery and Reinvestment act of 2008, and was declined on the grounds that the Nurse Aide, Phlebotomy, et al, were not covered under program guidelines
  • It has been an extended duration that has passed since the initial application and subsequent approval and acceptance of my financial aid package, this, being a period of greater than 60 days.
  • Subsequent notification of revocation of my financial aid occurred on August 5, 2011, a period of 10 business days prior to the start of the 2011 Fall Semester

It is my opinion that first and foremost, notification could have and should have occurred at an earlier point in time, as to properly file documentation and go through the motions of the appeals process. A period of 10 business days does not afford a multitude of options should the acceptance of this appeal be declined, and could place the student in a dire financial situation of which they could not meet or agree to the terms of having to pay for said materials and credit hours out of pocket.

Secondly, being that the terms of acceptance into the On Ramp program(short of academic program acceptance), all terms(economically) for acceptance into the program were henceforth met prior to, and concurrent with the application process, and are still valid at this point in time. However, being that the On-Ramp program would not cover, the fees (tuition, uniforms, books, etc) for the Nurse Aide, Phlebotomy, and Pre-nursing certificate programs, it was agreed upon that the terms and conditions of a standard FAFSA student aid package would here forth work and be applicable to the aforementioned programs. It was at this point in time, that I agreed with and complied with the rules and regulations for the acceptance of said financial aid package in the amount of $3000.00 per semester, that I signed and agreed to the terms of the package. This in being an agreement in bona fide to the terms that I was here forth granted a financial aid package, and should have been fiscally prepared to embark upon my studies on or about August 22, 2011.

Thirdly, it is of my opinion that I will be able to fulfill the obligations and requirements set forth for either the Nurse Aide or Pre-Nursing programs. This being that one program or the other, can successfully completed prior to the completion of the Spring 2012 semester.

As per formal procedure, once again, I am appealing the decision regrading my financial aid package for the 2011-2012 school year, and thank you for the thoughtful consideration of this appeal.

Thank you,
Jason Yanna

Drawn out way of saying, I've tried playing your games nicely, now pay up sucka... yes, but I do enjoy letting my inner Perry Mason out on occasion. :D

Good luck, I hope it works in your favor. Sucks having to get stressed about it this close to classes starting.

I took down two 70' spruce. I could bomb everything into a LZ that was neither too larger nor too small but perfect. While watching the Blue Angles perform for the air and water show at the lake front.

Sounds like a " it don't get much better than this" day. We had a private showing of the Snowbirds. They came across the lake from Toronto and did a practice run through right overhead. Phenomenal. They have 9 planes.

Back