How'd it go today?

Same white coating here Willie and still coming down.. I am taking the day off and I'll cut that trail tomorrow. It is at a lower elevation so I have less chance of standing in snow with a chainsaw.
Poor customer keeps losing her day due to weather but she ain't alone. We just about had them all caught up, Maybe only a week behind and here we go again. :P

Knocked out two little jobs solo this morn/afternoon. Stopped at my buddies to check out his "deal" of a truck. Always too good to be true, tranny is toast. Told ya so!

Fixing to finish up that "sammich board" as squish calls it. Then rinse of the rigs.

I put 20 pines on the ground today with two ground guys. All the brush is chipped and most of the logs are cut and stacked for the Prentice loader tomorrow. I had priced one pine tree for the next door neighbor at $250 if we did it at the same time, since it was right on the back corner of his lot only 4' away from a couple others I took down. As of noon he still had not contacted me, but 5 minutes after Mike pulled the chipper out of the back yard he came over and wanted his pine tree down. Mike agreed to leave his chipper on site and I'll flop it tomorrow morning. Nobody wanted to do one more tree this afternoon.

One of the pine logs slipped out of the skidding tongs, bounced off my headache rack and busted my fender and mirror (I guess that's why they don't call them lifting tongs). I got the dent out of the door well enough to roll the window up by pulling it out using the bucket. I need a new mirror and bracket and this will be the third repair on that same front fender. Without the headache rack it would have taken out my hood.

Glad that there was no too serious damage, Brian. The crane guy here lifts with those tongs to move logs sometimes, and I see other people doing it too. Always seems risky to me with larger diameters, and I don't get under them for sure.

Nothing wrong with lifting tongs as long as they're properly set. Good there was only damage and no injurys!

The more weight on the tongs the better they grab. The log that slipped was from a dead pine, not completely solid and not as heavy as the green logs. It was about 20' long though.

Got snowed out mid day 2 towns South of here, got hoe and the sun was shining, steam boiling off the streets, now sleeting again.

Glad you're okay Brian, could have been alot worse. I took 2 decent sized scrub oaks out with limbs about 6" above a roof with skylights.

Anyone know what kinda saw this is? Poulan?

Almost bought it from the flea market til it fell apart in my hands trying to start it.

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
HAHAHA You find all the pieces??

My day went to here and there with several expletives throughout. :lol:
Weather seemed like it was breaking so we headed out to try and get some work in. HA! Got down to the lower elevation job and got rained on big time... Needless to say ... 1/2 hour drive was wasted, I got wet and there are still grapes in the tree. :lol:
Ran back up the hill and hit hail, snow and sleet all the way home to where the sun came out:|:
Did not last long though.. Started snowing again not long after getting home.
SO out to the shed I went. I had parts and a saw to play with.. Actually two.
I started stripping down my old 200T that Brian fixed back when. Ran like a champ for all of a couple years after that. Seems about that long ago eh Brian? Brian did such a great job to her.
Well, the poor thing is 7 years old. It had been used and abused prior to me even laying my paws on it or Brian for that matter. It finally gave up the ghost last summer or fall. Can't remember.
I figured the rings had finally seen their end. YUP. SO did the piston and cylinder. Looks like it ate something that did not agree with it. :cry: I will miss the little devil.
SO I put it in the box the new one came in with all the parts bagged up. I will hunt around for a new P&C kit for it as I am sure one will pop up one day reasonable. No sense in paying almost 300.00 for the OEM from the dealer. Might as well buy another one for 600.00 new before they are bye bye. Maybe the aftermarket will kind after the 201 (?) comes out. ;)
SO I pulled out three of my old Husky 345s and a new piston kit and got busy salvaging one. :D Good for the chipper and such. I do light brushing with them and they hold up for about 3 years of hard time. :lol:
Tomorrow is another day and we'll see what comes of it.

Well I've been working like a dog, i have my spring break all booked up with about $5k of work, i cant wait!

Im also going out of town this weekend to chicago! I have never been to chicago and im looking forward too it, it is the most western part of the united states that I have been too.

I also have my first cabling job over spring break that i am looking forward to also, i ordered a Cobra system yesterday, seams pretty straight forward to install, and tips you guys have?

I also found out that stihl corporate got a hold of my video that a local news crew did on me, I will say more at a latter date;)

Removed 2 pines, first one I had to rope all of it down until about 30',then i could drop 8' sections into a small area of dirt. Second one was dead as a doornail.

Nick, Have a roll of electric tape handy, a sharp, heavy set of snips to cut the cobra and cut it longer than you think you will need. Trimming off a foot or two at the far splice will probably not be missed at a later date

Back