How'd it go today?

I finally finished those dang crepe myrtles at that condominium complex. Must have been 50 of them, three days to pollard them all. Not my best work, but everybody is happy.

watching Bub today, Doc appt in the afternoon for me and the snowflakes are flying. I am not too happy about that, I have a number of commitments this week and when it snows around here everyone starts to think they are playing Tokyo Drift with their cars.

This afternoon Conrad and I worked on the bathroom. The crown molding and baseboards are in, vanity is in, new toilet is in, fancy curved shower curtain rod is in.

Still lacking grout for the wall tile, sink, medicine cabinet and final touch up on the paint.

That's the odd part, for me; I normally despise green, and any scheme associated with it. Yet... I actually LIKE how that looks. :thumbup:

Good job Brian. I took down a blown over tree this morning and then climbed up an old cottonwood and removed a couple of limbs. On the blowdown I bent it back and forth a couple of times and broke all the roots off so I never even unloaded the stumpgrinder.

Attachments

• DSC00345 (Large).JPG
    DSC00345 (Large).JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00344 (Large).JPG
    DSC00344 (Large).JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00343 (Large).JPG
    DSC00343 (Large).JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 3
Looks like you had a supervisor on site today Steve.... :)
Brian, I like that shower rod. The crown molding really is the finished touch :thumbup:
Rob and I burned two days worth of staged slash. Then I started dropping pondos that were growing up through other trees. Tried my first wizzy today to swing one out from over some small sugar pines we were trying to keep. Worked sweet...
I am whooped :P

I like the extra room those curved rods give
Way longer day than I needed today with a sore neck setting in at the end, set a pull rope in smaller tree with some back lean. Needed to make sure rope was set and slack free as ! pulled hard the lil branch I was trying to get my slack out of broke instant rope to fall back and bash my head on the ground. On the ride to the next gig it started to stiffen. Then went and cut the big wood in chunks from a water oak failure well into dark as I didnt wish to return. Worked out in the long run with extra cash and a days worth of pruning. Shower, dinner and hot tub and ready for rest.

Got to use my winch on two decent sized backleaning alders today. I was able to set a log choker part way up each tree, hook the cable for the winch, notch and drop. A lot better than piecing and roping down the trees with the dead wood and dead top in the one, both over a fence. Love it.

We'll see about the bid I gave the neighbor for a 5 trunk alder near his house. He already damaged his fence when his winch and block plan didn't work out on another tree.

No clean-up on either one.

I pointed out to the neighbors son that a tree they planted would be growing into the power lines. He strongly disagreed. I guess he was the plantee. Several years later line clearance guys have opened up a nice through hole. Looks niiiice.

Today was good, I can have my cast removed next week. Doc said I should be able to start climbing in 2 weeks or so. I'm just happy it was just a hairline fracture. Butch, this weekend I'll be paying for my shirts.

Burned slash piles all day and more tomorrow if the burn days hold out this week. Nice we got some moisture so we don't have to worry so much about having a fire creep out.
I got that call today... We are free and clear of the fire incident that happened over a week ago :) No charges. Inspector put in a good word for us and reminded the powers that be how much we do every year to try and help Mariposa stay fire safe. He did remind me that this needs to not happen again...... Told him we would see to that. We are looking over procedure and I am going to be shutting down certain burns sooner to mitigate hazard of losing a fire. In other words..... More right of refusal usage. " I refuse to burn today Mr. Homeowner as I deem it too dry and the risk too high for safe burn..." Already do that to a degree, but I have caved from time to time under pressure to make the slash go away.
More work calls today...
Pulled out my back yesterday :( So I am just trying to get through the next few days to rest up.
Today was a good day though with the news that came over the phone when I got home :)

Glad to hear the good news sorry to hear of the back!

I woke to the neck feeling better and went and brush hogged and area that is to be reclaimed, go to show the HO some potential failures and we will be making some decisions. Suprised by the root pull on the few I knew I wanted to keep, no targets except a fence line but this will change some of the others I planned to cull as if the big one fails it will leave to big a hole for HO liking.

Good deal, Stephen.
I figured your good track record would get you off:)

I did an easy little trimming job this morning and now I have to go climb two pine trees and put them on the ground. Wish me luck, I haven't strapped on my spurs in ages! :O

Good luck Brian.

I've been busier then hell lately, which is why I haven't been posting like crazy. Trying to get organized from the move still, looking after sick animals again(more pigeon fever), fitting some treework in when the weather permits and still some sanding/plowing here and there. On top of that I'm looking for a new good employee and dealing with all my year end and tax stuff. Fun times here, fun times. Just buckling down and TCOB.

I hope to catch up when I catch up, still checking in on everything regular like though.

Back