How'd it go today?

I was just wondering if it was a Home Depot type of thing.

That's a good link. I might order a few.

Kind of funny but it was mentioned recently that incandscent bulbs will cease production in this country .Evidently people locally must have paniced and raided Lowes etc .because the shelves are rather bare of them .

What they didn't take into account was that for maybe 10-15 years a majority of them are in fact made in some Pacific rim country or Mexico anyway .

There are caves all over this area. I'm not at all happy that my son has taken up 'spelunking'.

Have you been in your cave, Dave?

The property we lease is adjacent to the farm we own. We have maybe a dozen sinkholes. There are well over a hundred there. We've marked the ones we've seen on the GPS, but just last week I found one out in the middle of a field where I'd been walking many times. Only about 18" square hole, but deep. Al, I worry about the cows breaking their legs...but so far no problem. I'm so paranoid about it I'm pretty careful.

Burnham, I'm not familiar with the holes on the other property to know if they've gotten bigger, or how old they are. But I have seen new ones crop up on our farm, they tend to grow fairly rapidly that first year, then at least the entrance seems to stay the same for the most part. We fill the smaller ones in with field stone, topping them off every year as they settle.....just to keep them from swallowing a tire or ankle.

Common practice in this area is/was to use the larger sink holes as trash holes....old cars, old fencing, water tanks, glassware, trikes. It is discouraged now, of course. There's one big hole over there full of old weathered cow and horse bones....the ones the coyotes didn't drag away anyway.

Brian, I don't think I'll bring up the dynamite idea with Mike, he might like it. :O

Raining pretty good here today, started yesterday morning when Scott and I were 40% through a decent sized removal. The house's internet is down due to the storm, but my phone's connection is nearly as fast. Need to see if I can hook a blue tooth key board up to it, then I'd be in style!

Working on designing a grapple now, more specifically I'm trying to learn how to make the tine geometry work out for a strong, light, and correct shape.

Come to think about it ,it would make sense that perhaps that area of Ky would have natural caves ,geologically speaking .Portions of Ky sit atop the same limestone base as the area I live in .I believe they call it either the Tremont or Freemont foundation ,something like that .Very vast in size .

Because of the upheaves which caused those rolling Ky hills which as so pictuesque it would make sense that over a period of eons they would fill with sand and other sediments which would lead to sink holes .

Well, just finished up my last session of physical therapy for the knee replacement. Been just over 3 months since the surgery. The surgeon said yesterday, he didn't want to see me until July. I told him I'd be calling in January to schedule the right knee.

I'm cleared for working and anything really except for sports. Riding the bike, riding the bike....

We had a bit of a storm pass over in the night. Blew the rest of the leaves off all the trees, which is nice.
Felling hardwoods with leaves still on them sucks.
It was still quite windy this morning and we were felling some nice sized Doug firs.
Fun in the wind, as long as you can let them go with the wind, otherwise impossible.
But I didn't use a wedge untill around noon:)

Went to do a china berry tree (which had caught fire by lightning) bottom sounded out well however. Once up to to leader I planned to rig from my sounding turned into a drum.:\: Having never worked one of these I got down, return with bucket truck in am.

Have any of you worked in them and could you enlighten me to any extent? Seemed simular to a willow in the brittle factor

Larger solid stems are fine, but you did the right thing. They are brittle crap trees that you don't want to waste a lot of time or effort on.

Awesome news Mike..
I finished that layered live oak mess today. HO happy as a clam. I wish I could have made it look a tad better, But I was only hired to remove the oaks he specified, not dead wood all the trees behind them. They assured me I would be back though and booked a gray pine removal. I might also be hired to trim a really nice blue oak on the other side of the house :D Looks like a great climb :)

Attachments

• DSC_0712.JPG
    DSC_0712.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0714.JPG
    DSC_0714.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0713.JPG
    DSC_0713.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0715.JPG
    DSC_0715.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
I don't go into caves. I had a cave thread around here somewhere, but I don't know how to get the updated pics from the last round of cave expansion.

Back