How'd it go today?

I spent the whole day working on the "island " cabinent for the addition .Good heavens the thing ended up being 4 by 8 feet .Room for four bar stools and a three piece band .

This cabinetry building stuff takes me forever to figure out and most likely Jay or someone else could do in 5 minutes what it takes me an hour to decipher .Looks good but a lot of scratching the old noggin to get it there .

Al, let's see a pic when you get it done. Lots of people would think that using the lathe is a lot harder than building cabinets.

I've got probabley a hundred pics so far .Lawdy I've got a ways to go before this project is done .

As far as difficult I suppose it's in the mind of the beholder .With metal work if you screw it up you can always weld it .With wood ,too short is just firewood .

Speaking of same ,I'll be damned as fussy as I am about stuff if I didn't end up with oak plywood made in freaking China .I just failed to realize that when I picked it out ,that sucks .Damned thin veneer too .:(

safety pruned a 90' bay laurel today. some big cuts to reduce the tops, then thinning and end weights. client kept asking "arent you going to cut it just above the wires?" she meant the cables that had been installed about half way up!:lol: she also wondered aloud on several occasions why we didn't cut ALL the branches off. turned out nice and she liked it in the end, tho she was disappointed that she ended up with less than a cord of wood.:roll:

Me too, theres no interruptions. :)

We worked down by the river again today. Trimmed an ash that was atleast 100 ft. tall, which is rare, and a silver maple that was even taller then that. As well as a burr oak over the water. It was me and one other climber, couldn't imagine doing that all by myself in one day.

Got up at 3 this morning. Picked up my cheerleaders and left for College Station, Texas. Checked into the hotel. 90 mile trip to Houston for a "private" pep rally. Guy pays real good money to have them come to his "mansion". Guess he likes to impress all his friends. There were probably 200 people there. He has a chlorinated lake in his back yard. It even has a boat on it. Water is just as clean as a swimming pool. Then another 90 mile trip back to College Station.

Yell practice starts at midnight. (yes, in Texas they have to practice yelling)

Guess I'll have been up around 23-hours by the time I go to bed in a couple of hours. :)

Bon fire went off like clock work.. well.... They delayed us for almost an hour. Some of the teams were not quite there yet. Good turn out. I will get the numbers after the weekend. Took some vid and pics. I will load those up tomorrow. I was the last one there of our group, pretty much sent the rest of the house home to get the young ones in bed. Pretty much have to hang out till the FD leaves.
Day off tomorrow for daddy day care. I need sleep.
A lot of thank yous from everyone. I guess we have this gig for as long as we want it.

Any cool pics of the fire? Anyone get drunk or stoopid? Bonfires RAWK. :rockon:

Chlorinated lake??? Never heard of such a thing... I'm off to google!

Butch, find the Houston Galleria Shopping Mall on loop 610 & Westheimer Road. Go about 1.5 miles east to Willowick Road. Go north to Inverness Drive. West on Inverness 3 or 4 houses.

The property backs up to Buffalo Bayou. (had to include the Bayou just for you)

Have an "emergency" stump job. 4-5 minutes of work for $125. Piss poor planning on his part=money in the bank for me. Just have to have it ground in the next 40 minutes. :lol:

Here is a little video of the bon fire ....
Katy still has the other camera in the van, I have not seen the pics she took yet. I will get those later today.
Live band...
Smores, hot chocolate.
Bon FIre...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R6vO57lLXRg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R6vO57lLXRg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Two 500,000 BTU torches...
Nice dry one year cured pine.
Center was all stacked and split wood... Poles surrounding that pyramid of split wood. Just the center was a cord of wood.
The MC of the gig was called by Mariposa Air Quality board as it was not a burn day. They asked him how was going to proceed. Bob (MC) told them it was a recreational warming fire... Should be allowed. They replied, "make sure it starts fast and hot as to limit particulate emissions please". We accommodated them :D
No accelerants other than the propane was used to start the fire. :)

Bay Laurel is a great wood for woodwork, if a log ever comes your way. Nice hardness, stable, and it can be very attractive....from a light yellow to dark greenish beige, and it gets a very warm tone with time. The older trees in particular. Love the smell too, and so do the insects, so drying without infestation can be a problem. Always remove the bark.

Damn,

I stink, like fuel. Threw some parts on the Ford this afternoon. EBPV tube, fuel bowl heater, fuel filter and cap, and a glow plug relay. Cleaned out the fuel bowl nicey nice, some crud in there from 100k miles. Ended up not screwing down the filter cover enough, and took a fuel shower when I started it. Damn, it's cold, but I can't leave all that fuel on the engine. Simple green and rinsed for now. Gotta power wash and do a final clean on the rig anyways when I get my Cover-It shelter.

Finished two burns on two properties today and slayed a white oak (dropped from the ground). 11 burn piles in all.. Got to take the wood. I have one more trip for the larger oaks rounds. I am going to take the splitter to bust them. About 36".
I get to go back to the first account and TD part of a live oak that we have taken some of before. I showed the HO that the codom and root ball had split and it (18 dbh and 50 foot high) is leaning right toward his new house being built. Sooooo :D a slaying I will go Wed. :D

I got a hydro rinse this morning, B. Popped a line on the mini's grapple. Spent 2 hours fixing that, but Scott and I still kicked arse today, slightly above average even(offset by the new hoses :lol:). If not for the hoses, we'dda knocked out a third job for a banner day. Stil killed 5 trees, well over 2' dbh on average.

I retrieved some ash lumber from my shop today to make windows sills for the addition ,wide ones .Experimented by planing a short section and trying the red mahogony stain on it .Darned if it didn't look as good as the oak .

Oh and I almost forgot... I hit a bird on my way home tonight.. Sucked..
It bounced off my mirror and into my face. Landed dead in my lap ... I was covered in bird shit.. Ewwwwwwwe! :lol:
NASTY!

That does sound nasty. Work's starting to get spotty here, just in time for the snow. Pruned a elm today, ground some stumps, pruned a willow, and removed a biggggg(for around here 36"DBH easy) old Maple spar. All mighty straightforward. I'm looking forward to the break from treework, I start to burn out on it and get a little bored this time of year.

Some pics of the bon fire Friday... :)
You can always tell my kids at bon fires.. They are right up on em.. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 6