How'd it go today?

It all depends on the market and the tools you bring to the job, Dennis. My average hourly rate for time on site tree work this year is $188.59/man/hr, and my bids are usually very competitive.

My average job is generally fairly easy/cut and toss kinda deals. On jobs that are a rig fest, my hourly rate would be less since I'm not as efficient at rigging without my full time people running the ropes. The exception would be if I break out the the GRCS and do things my competition can't.

I try to get the low/mid end off what the tree is worth in my area rather than a set hourly figure. I do use my figure for estimating jobs somewhat. My scheme makes sense to me, but I'm a bit crazy, at least according to the dog. :lol:

When I rake, I usually get all the little chit. It takes forever, but it leaves the job looking as good or better than when I was there. That corresponds with added cost I charge.

My biggest hurdle is walking up to a job and deciding how long it "should" take to complete. I try to base my bid on that amount of time even though I KNOW I can't get it done that fast. First, I'm physically not in shape (sitting behind a desk most of the time) and second, being relatively inexperienced when compared to you.

Doing the work though gets me outside (which I enjoy) and I don't have to pay to go to the gym (it's a real workout for me). And it's fun, in a weird sort of way.

I remember those times. Instead of just saying I want X amount per hour times the hours I figure it'll take, I also factor in what the market value of the work is and compare my hourly rate and hours to that number. Usually I prefer for the job to pay more than my hourly rate, of course. If push came to shove I could cut my prices by at least a third and still make money. Still, I'm the low bid/get enough of my bids to know I'm "cheap enough" regardless of profits. Next year I may track bids vs jobs, I love me some data. :D

Is it weird I wish this was in a private forum? :lol:

I don't care about the customers finding out, they are happy getting a "good deal." :/:

ETA: Or rather, it's not the customer's I'm worried about.

Last edited:
Had a two day job reschedule for a month out with a first thing morning phone call.
Went and looked at one today. Hanger that has been up over a parking area for two years:|: And the last leader that popped on a group we had cleaned up a couple from before advising the HO the whole tree should have come down. Wellllllllllll... He took it upon himself this last year and broke his nose when one just let go from another he dropped next to it... :O No helmet or other PPE... He was home alone at the time...
DSC_0486.JPG DSC_0487.JPG DSC_0488.JPG
Best I can ascertain is that two leaders were broken and laying on this one. As he was cutting the other two.. This one popped and kicked one that was on top of it (he was cutting the ones on top of this one) into his face.. He got lucky. He lived.

Moved some of the dirt from the excavation of the crawl space .Waterproofed the foundation and spread 4 inchs of #57 stone on the bottom of it .Around three tons by hand ,ugh .

Start the framing Tuesday ,should be under roof in about three days .The windows will be here the 20 th, Jeld-Wen, casement .

Al, what is #57 stone? We define materials by size such as 3/4 crushed, etc. Always interesting how different definitions for the same things evolve in different parts of the country.

We don't use a mix like that around here. 1/2 to 1 1/2 sounds like unscreened crushed to me. Thanks ever so much Carl.

Finally finished my creekclearing job today.
I have cleared vegetation out of over 40 miles of creeks and ditches this summer. That is a LOT of miles to walk in waders, and you walk them twice. Once cutting, once forking out the dead veggie matter.

Coming home and emptying the truck of ditch-gear felt good.:)

Loading up my saws and climbing gear and hitching up the chipper for a tree job with Richard tommorow felt even better:D

I'm back to being a tree killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neighbors daughter got married yesterday, Greek wedding, Im a little hung over today:|: Good time with some real nice people.

Took some wood over the mountain to my buddy Dave, I hate pulling a load over that hill but they have a hard time getting wood over there as everybody burns. Over here in yuppie land nobody burns and we had that storm so I have a LOT OF WOOD:O Dave has helped me out so much I dont mind doing it for him (at least till my trans cooks).One of the guys that works for him got killed last week in a car crash, hes pretty down right now. Said it was the first time he ever thought about selling up and getting out of the machining business:( We split up the wood now Im home feeling pretty ropey.

My full time guy Mat told me a month or so ago he wanted to take off the first 2 weeks of Oct. to attend a wedding in OK. He just called me and said his wifes grandfather just died and they are leaving to attend the funeral. He said he might stay out there till the wedding:? Really, you are going to take 6 weeks off starting tomorrow? Lucky I just hired the new kid but its going to suck trying to work with an inexperienced kid with no drivers licensce..... Im SO OVER being in the tree business......

6 weeks is BS, Tell him to take the rest of the year. I don't care how good somebody is, they aren't making you any money if they are never there.

They don't MB :lol:

Hey Paul... Some of my best fun and such have been at greek weddings... They friggen rock... :rockon:

Today has been fruitful..
Those last couple of calls for estimates turned into more days in my schedule book... Small fuel reduction job on a property that was sold from a previous client. She referred the new owners to us :D Future tree work on a nice black oak next to the house (one can hope ;) )
Other client is one of first ... they wanted a gray pine topped out for view and habitat (already dying anyway)... View prune on two small canyon live oaks and one interior live oak. Then a dead wooding of the lower 1/2 of the canopy of a beautiful medium sized canyon live oak next to their rental :) The gals that made Jay a little present I sent him :) and the flying log/spar removal :D Couple of beers and letting the truck cool off.. then I will be messing around under the hood again.. She's been a running a tad warn and I want to see what's up. Need to fix a couple of hoses and whatnot anyway ;) Kids are all happy I am home since Katy had to go to work and school...

Hey Stig, walkin through water all that way must have given legs of Mr Universe?

I've never understood why people don't show up for work. How do they pay the bills?

Stepehen is right, they don't. I've had a few guys work part time for me over the years and always whining about how they need the money and then balk when you can finally give them something of substance. Don't waste my time anymore, you just moved to the bottom of the call list.

Not to mention walking in knee deep mud.
My roundhouse kick get's off the ground really fast these days.

Back