How'd it go today?

I would prefer to hire experience.. IF they ever worked out for me.
Most older guys 'round here ain't working for a reason...
If I were in more of a urban setting.. I would hire older.

Dang, too bad for the "old guy."

Old is relative. Relative to my age, if you're older then me you're a old guy. If you're younger then me you're a young guy.

I suspect that the old guy would jump ship for a machinery job first chance he had. I don't see him hanging in for the long haul. Nice guy, I hope something good comes up for him.

Why knock the not clean shaven? I haven't had a razor to my face in over 6 years. I go for the shadow look all the time.

You hiring a doctor or a tree guy? :)

It was the whole look. Bit rough for my liking. Let's put it this way, I shaved to do the interviews. It was in stark contrast to everyone else I had interviewed. Dude looked like he had just rolled outta bed.

Price - High, Low or About Right???

Bid $2,200.00 on removing 3 Sycamore's today & grinding the stumps. Next door to my daughter & SIL's house. 2 are 28"dbh & 1 is 24"dbh. Most of it can be bombed. 2 or 3 limbs may need just a little rigging to help get them down.

Brush can be taken about 200 feet and burned in the vacant lot my daughter owns.

I'll be doing the cutting. Son-in-law will be dragging brush (if they say yes to the bid).

Any opinions on if the price is right???

Dennis, how much time is involved, what is your cost structure? When I'm bidding jobs for myself, I'm usually at about $250 per hour for a bucket truck, chip truck, chipper and 3 men.

Determine what you need to generate per day, then refine it down to an hourly range.

-Gigi, congrats to you and your growing family! :)

I do it backwards from most, figure out what the job is worth in that market to make my bid. I use my running average of time on site vs job cost to give me a ball park rate if I work hourly. I deduct a percentage since working by the hour is less risky than working on a bid. Just because I can do the job in half the time of someone else doesn't make the tree worth any less.

Without seeing the job, I'd say you weren't unreasonbly high, and I'd hope not low for your sake. On the cleanup, does that include raking and or stump cleanup?

Soonerfan, It is really tough to guess without actually seeing the trees.......even with dbh and a "room to bomb" description there are a ton of variables. Based upon the 24" and 28"dbh Sycamores around here I'd say $2200 sounds about like 2/3rds what I would bid but, even if I have the right mental picture, local markets vary in prices quite a bit.

Dennis, how much time is involved, what is your cost structure? When I'm bidding jobs for myself, I'm usually at about $250 per hour for a bucket truck, chip truck, chipper and 3 men.

Determine what you need to generate per day, then refine it down to an hourly range.

Brian, how much time? My best guess is hoping the two of us can get all 3 down in one day. 1 person spend a couple of hours the next day grinding the stumps (18 man hours). Worst case scenario would be 2 people, 2 days (32 man hours).

Cost structure? I have no idea. I sort of cut down trees for fun. Don't need to, just like to.

What do I need to generate per day? Again, no idea. It's more of a hobby than a job. Don't want to do the work for free but then again, don't want to price it so high that I never get a job.

With your truck (only one setup required due to their location) and the 3 man crew you mentioned, YOU could probably do all 3 in 1/2 a day plus add some time to grind the stumps. If that's true the price should have been $1000.00 plus stump grinding.

Without seeing the job, I'd say you weren't unreasonbly high, and I'd hope not low for your sake. On the cleanup, does that include raking and or stump cleanup?

We would pick up the sticks that were to big to mow over but not rake all the "little stuff". I wouldn't haul off the grindings and replace with topsoil but I would use a dirt rake and sort of "level off" the chip pile.

Based upon the 24" and 28"dbh Sycamores around here I'd say $2200 sounds about like 2/3rds what I would bid

So you might be in the $1000 to $1100 per tree price range. Even at 2/3 the price it should be, IF I get the bid, it should be a good experience for me. The daughter & SIL can use the cash right now also.

Thanks for the input.

Back