How'd it go today?

'Tis the season and I seem to be in my lawnmower repair mode .

I got two riders going for Tom and am taking two of mine and making one .

My son had one of my 18HP twins and evidently side hilled it too steeply and blew a connecting rod .Which brings up something . A Briggs opposed cylinder twin will only take about 30 degrees of slope before it won't oil properly .

If you must side hill one toss the grass up hill because the oil slinger is on the left side of the engine . If you get it tilted too far right it won't pick up the oil . I've seen several that got turned into junk because of this . That replacement engine costs as much as a new mower .

I was feeling a bit burned out today, so the crew and myself did some pm on the machines and cleaned up the yard around the house.

Off to kill some small trees in the morning and 2 large oaks to deadwood tomorrow afternoon.

I hauled a load of wood to the dump this morning and did another brush hauling job and just got back from a bid. Just got an email from my daughter in London.

Had to take a gate apart to get into our first job today.. HO left town and forgot we were coming.....:roll: The lady of the house is in and out of the hospital a to and I knew she would be disappointed if it were not done so I made the call. Then proceeded to break the drive chain on the DR :what: I'll fix it tomorrow... Dropped off Rob and Pat to get a small job done while I chased parts in town and got ready for tomorrow....
Time to weed eat a guys roof we do every year tomorrow:|:

Greg, sounds like a fun week. I haven't been to the Cape since I was a kid. I imagine it's changed a bit in 40 years.

I've been going to this house for 17 years now. At one time there was a country store, an old grocery store, and a seafood/ice cream shack on the road from the highway to the house.

Now there are hundreds of businesses, its definately losing some of its charm.

At any rate I made the commute and it was about an hour each way, not to shabby.

It was raining when I got there but I still walked to the beach and did some of the chores I won't have to do when I go back on friday....8)

Blinky,
that sounds like what a prostitute would say at the days end........

It's actually kinda like that even though I didn't mean to put that across. Today will be better, easy cable job, no women involved hopefully.

This guy was an engineer and designed his house to be built into the side of a hill... The roof is dirt fill but has sky lights, vents, and cable for SAT TV. The only side of the house exposed is the front where you enter. All else is underground. Down side is that when the weeds grow on it, since he won't spray it:roll:, you walk up on the hill and cut down weeds around some pretty fragile crap... ie Sky lights.... So far the only casualties of the job over the last 4 years are some SAT cable and a truck window.... Rob's Great Aunt Pat was the care taker for the guys wife and last year Katy asked her to move the truck. She stalled and said don't worry about it yada yada.... The parking area is right below the roof/hill and this would also include graveled areas for said roof drainage.... HO moves his vehicles every year, Aunt Pat lost a window :lol:
Well the lady of the house has passed on this last fall and so Aunt Pat will no longer be a problem :D
I'll tell you the story of how Aunt Pat got rid of the grass hoppers by the chicken coop in Catheys Valley in July some time.... :crazy:

So good Rob and I kinda want to do one.... Just one a smaller scale. Or two actually... A root cellar possibly and a little guest house. We have a hill out back that would be perfect for it :D
One project at a time ;)

Short day today, which is nice in this heat. A bunch of clearance 'pruning' and a bit of stormy weather clean-up. A pine that had toppled over in recent winds, looked to me it was due to a girdling root having weakened/severed a great deal of the roots. It broke off about six inches below the ground and you could see how it was being strangled, eventhough it looked perfectly healthy. Wish I had had a camera.

Next week I'm heading north, to tear ass (Terrace:D). To pick up my wife's new horse. Yee freaking haw. Atleast I'm taking a horse up too, so I'm covering fuel.

Bet y'all didn't know I was a cowboy.:D

Chipped lots of brush from yesterdays removals today. The work is just pourin in at the moment. I'm bidding things fairly cheap right now though. I try to ride on the high side of the bid scale but I'm shooting for stability in these times......

hey Cursed, I have the plans and the timbers cut to build a passive solar sub-terrain house with a post and beam roof structure. I just need to figure out how to pay for it:|:

I got everything lined up for that red oak crane job Tuesday. 70T and I have to crane in the stump guy :|:

Also looked at a nasty uprooted red oak that I'll have to use a crane as a TIP while I bomb the wood. ...should be fun... :O

Today was a wet one. Started out with a 40% chance of rain, so we go to 1 or so. Me and another guy are shoveling dirt/sod of the trailer when it starts pouring. We're soaked by the time we finish. After that it went downhill with more rain and chipping wet brush. Worst part was we had no rain coats:whine:

Also had some stupid ass redneck yell at me because we walked over his lawn or median or whatever you call that strip of grass between the main yard and the sidewalk. Apparently he put fertizler down or some type of crap. He glared at us the rest of the time and as we were leaving started giving the the one finger salute. I would have went off(something I got from Dad:evil:) if I had known that the client didn't like him at all and he was actually a real jerk. Apparently during halloween, all he does is stand out on his porch and scream at any kid that dares set foot on his lawn.

Back