How'd it go today?

Fear NOT the edit function.
cheers2.gif

School today. On the way home though I spotted some red neck tree guy handiwork. They had rented an off road lift and had it delievered. They removed a perfectly good, nice looking Pin Oak. Brush and logs are mashed together in 4 or 5 6ft+ high piles, about 2 1/2ft wide. Around here, everything must be stacked in 4ft lengths. Guess they never heard of that rule because it's another one of those brush piles from hell.

Plus, they still have the lift there and there is still one oak standing, so I bet when the brush is gone they'll be back for the other. Sad to see them go, as they were nice trees.

I would think? Since FEMA isn't obliged to pick up debris from private tree work.

I've been here in Paducah, KY trimming out hangers for the last three days. I can probably count on one hand the number of trees I've seen here that DON'T have tons of damage. Just carnage everywhere. Crazy for me as this is my first time doing storm damage work.

Pruned two massive black oaks over houses today, have a big silver maple, two hackberries, and another oak trim for tomorrow.

I've been to a thrift store in Paduka. :lol:...what a name. You making good money on the storm work?

RD, the crews picking up the FEMA debris will pick up everything. There's no way they can say "It wasn't storm damage related" so it's like a free tree debris pickup for everyone. Last week we put 7 trees in a massive pile on the curb, they will take it.

Yup, when the loader trucks work by the CY they pick up everything to make a load.

RD, the crews picking up the FEMA debris will pick up everything. There's no way they can say "It wasn't storm damage related" so it's like a free tree debris pickup for everyone. Last week we put 7 trees in a massive pile on the curb, they will take it.
They basically did the same in this area after that ice storm a few years back .

They had several drop off points and several huge tub grinders .It seems somehow they scooped up a cast iron man hole cover and ran it through one of the grinders --or should I say partially through it . :O They will grind up a cinder block but a big old 100 pound iron cover will stop them in their tracks .

Did this on Saturday. We are installing screech owl habitat in Franklin Park, in the City of Boston. This was a test run. Next weekend we are doing four more with the high school kids who built the boxes as part of a program where they learn about wildlife and such (treeclimbing is part of it too, of course!) moss is the one who got me involved in this, he's the one in most of the pics.

Dang OTGBOSTON - i did not know , well maybe i did, know that you and mossy boy were buds.

that is some interesting work you did there - pat moss on the back

good day, lots of tornado warnings, boomers

GOOD food for dinner - turned out to be bad company

hmm

Last edited:
I had a good day today. Cut down a stocky little camphor tree this morning (about 50' tall but over 36" dbh) and then finished yesterday's moss removal job this afternoon.

I've made more money in the last 2 days than I made in 10 days going to Kentucky. The phone is starting to ring again and I have several jobs in the hopper. I also volunteered to build an 8' privacy fence for one of my customers, that will help fill in some of my down time. I was expecting it to be a 1 day job slapping up some fence panels from Home Depot but he wants a custom 8' tall fence. The other section was built on site but those guys never returned several phone calls in the last week, so I stepped up and said I could do it. This will probably be a 4-5 day job for next month.

Picking spanish moss out of our huge live oaks. I never give a firm quote, I will only do it hourly. On this particular job I just gave him my day rate, had 7 hours yesterday and about 1.5 hours today. Was too tired to stay and finish it yesterday.

Speaking of day rates. What kind of hours do you normally figure in on a day rate? I like 7 hrs of actual work. That allows me to have paid lunch and a break.

Back