How'd it go today?

I dont think we have the ability to have that much power burning in light at one time in our place, mind you most of our lights are CFL's. I am a lightswitch (and baseboard heater) nazi, when you leave the room, turn the dang light off and heater down. :D

Thats how I grew up.
me to paul but my wifes opposite

Willie a 2' ponderosa for $150 is a helluva a good price.

ya, my minimums 200 but these are good customers. it was a head leaner to:D fell to dead fir monday for 200:D

Glad to hear you are OK Deva. I did a little rag doll action last week on a spindly cottonwood spar that I had to be on and rig off of. I knew it was coming and it still sucked, just about scraped my right nipple off.

Today was not a great money day but I had to use a lot of daylight to catch up on bids. Worked half day and did 4 bids in the afternoon. Tomorrow we are removing a tall, fat punky willow, that could be easy if the truck doesn't get stuck in the mud.

i got beat around a couple weeks ago for the first time in ages but i kept my hooks where they belonged, sounds brutal deva

i got beat around a couple weeks ago for the first time in ages but i kept my hooks where they belonged, sounds brutal deva

The spar I was rigging off of was above the old topping cut and I didn't fully trust it so after I attached the block to it I took the tail and attached it to the spar I was tied into for more strength. I then took the tops off both spars, getting abused twice for the team. I wish I had had a better way.

I forgot to mention... Saw a new flier up on one of the bulletin boards today.... ANY tree removed hazardous etc. No job more than 500.00. Insured. 10 years experience. Yada yada.
Also lost a TD I bid high on to a guy I know here in town but I don't think I am getting all the story. I knew he could do it cheaper than I. Friend/neighbor of the customer called a family member here bad mouthing my estimate. Saying he was going to tell every one we are over charging yada yada... Said the guy they had do the tree only charged them $400.00 and worked two guys all day doing it. It was two trees. Ponderosas both dead. One 36 dbh at 75' and the other half the size and right next to each other. Bigger one was in reach of about everything, house, well house, asphalt drive, etc. Very narrow area that the tree might make a drop into next to the house that I was not willing to risk the drop. So I estimated for climb removal at 2000 for both. Told customer I might be able to come in cheaper on hourly, but just one tree I did like the larger ran 1200 all by itself and I could really drop large stuff down on that one in a good drop zone. Not what I was looking at unless lowered. Well I gave them a referral to this guy as a competitive bid and said he could probably do it cheaper, he has bucket truck etc and more equipment and experience than I. He would be faster. Now they said he dropped the tree, notch and drop with tag line... now maybe if they let him hit the plants I was trying to avoid (and told to) I can see it. Or he is more the faller than I thought. They said he did the clean up and I heard he did not. So I have to dig deeper.. But damn.. Who needs to deal with this crap... He and I exchange work all the time. We are on good terms and such... I gotta talk to him and find out what went on. I bet some one said 1400 and not 400 cause I know what he charges for the most part. But I also know he was kinda hurting for work ...... See what I find out.

Absolutely nothing today. It's unnerving & unsettling. Do I hope for lotsa snow ? Do I continue to live off of high season & pray for a miracle ??? What do you do ?

The first bid I did this afternoon was for the removal of 5 stumps all different people but one guy is getting a stump grinder for all of them. The guy getting the bids had a stump about 16" but with surface roots going out about 6' in every direction that he wanted ground. The other five stumps were fairly easy. I priced it at $600 for the five stumps. He told me that I was "way out of line". Whenever I am told that it is real hard for me to be appropriate. I kept my cool. The guy showed me two other bids one for $300 and one for $365. I said well you better have that guy do it. I know both of the other guys and they are both good guys. This is why I'm not getting much work.

Right on, Steve. When a customer tells me a confirmed "X" amount & I'm spanked, I tell them the same thing >>> "Give those folks a call & tell them it's a 'go' !!!"
No sense denying the obvious, ey ?
But I can / will only drop my prices just so far... then people must go with the competition. C'est la vie.

I agree TC and Steve. Ya just tell them... Call those guys then nicely. Funny thing is I have often found, that the guys that usually underbid are usually short lived in the business. And once they screw up definitely short lived in my small town. I get frustrated with it at times. But people hire me for my rep, ethics and quality of work. Not for my good looks and great deals. Hard times now that may change. Rob said it this way though. People will pay for what they know is a good product even in hard times cause they (smart money) can't afford to take chances on unknown work cause it could cost them more they can't afford in the long run.
We charge what we do for a reason.. Some of that is that we take care of our equipment and upgrade our equipment to stay in business and make money.

Not for your good looks ??!!??
Getouttahere !!!
Thanks for hangin' tough with us, mang. Ain't easy.
I got a right to make a living >>> even when I'm starving to death ?!?

I'm lookin' for a job now.

Tougher than a couple years ago.

Talk to a buddy of mine tomorrow, see how it goes.

Might be washin' dishes next month!

We charge what we do for a reason.. Some of that is that we take care of our equipment and upgrade our equipment to stay in business and make money.

I wish I could get payed for taking care of my equipment. I'm usually getting so much per day to remove trees, but for nearly every job, I should be figuring in generally another 2-3 hours for maintenance.

Before starting work, my saws are usually clean and ready to rock and roll, I find it makes life easier to do that, with a shake of pride added in, but no extra money goes with it.

On the good side, spent the day with a beautiful woman driving around the countryside, had lunch at a lake side Italian place. Life isn't all bad :D

ya, my minimums 200 but these are good customers. it was a head leaner to:D fell to dead fir monday for 200:D

Willie I was razzing you. You typed 2' ponderosa, which to me means a two foot ponderosa. $150 would be killer money for plucking a weed like that.:lol:

Plowed snow today! Will the excitement never end.

Moved one load of wood today, managed to fit the mini in along with it to avoid another trip. Looked at 2 jobs, deposited a fat check, picked up some cash, washed the truck, and waiting to get a bite to eat.

Madison had another siezure today. Poor kid doesn't do well with fevers. So we're in ICU at Buffalo women's and children's hospital. They just booted me out of the room so they can do a spinal tap to check for meningitis. She's a tough baby girl, she'll be herself in a day or two.

Back