How'd it go today?

Started a job that halved the budget for the crew... So I went back to the house and picked up the chipper to do a branching over a garage job I had to get done. Worked out great save for the ant infestation. I got ate up till I got most of a branch down.. Branch was 16" at the trunk... had two of them on a live oak over a garage.. 2 hours we were outtie and salvaged the day...
More brushing tomorrow.....

Got some help, actually pretty good:), drove an hour and a half. Cut and loaded 2 cord of Oak, drug it out of the brush, drove another two hours. Unloaded just in time to pick up Bubba, just got out of the shower. 85deg. is WAY to hot to cut firewood!!!
I'm beat!

Finally got a little work happening today. Did lots of climbing. Odd thing is that i have hardly been working lately and today we were out on a decent size job and things went smooth as glass.

I had two jobs today and both went very well. First job took me about 70 minutes (the guy thought it would take me 2-3 hours). He grumbled a little bit about my $200 minimum but paid it, I was feeling generous and kicked him back $40 since it went so fast.

Second job was easy, mostly moss picking and light trimming. I was working for the homeowner referred to me by a guy who owns a retail nursury. I was there 3 hours and gave them a reduced price but got a $100 tip and a promise of more work in January. I wish every day was this good! :)

cat rescue gone bad.:O......cat climbed out a dead stub. I managed to grab it before it broke. He sunk in his claws and wiggled outta my meat hooks.............

took a 40' footer to the deck, hit the ground running, jumped off the 12' deck...up a rock wall and into the truck! Lady got em' out and off to the vet. No broken bones, just a busted lip.......and some claw marks on my arm. Oh well, I'm bringing a carp net next time.

then off to slay a maple/locust/Poplar......and I get to live

I was sick today so got my crew started then I headed back to the casa and ended up doing 3 bids this afternoon. My son wrecked his Camaro last night, no one was hurt but the car is dented all over the place. He got over in the other lane a little and over-corrected and ended up with the front and the rear hitting the bank on the edge of the road.

cat rescue gone bad.:O......cat climbed out a dead stub. I managed to grab it before it broke. He sunk in his claws and wiggled outta my meat hooks.............

took a 40' footer to the deck, hit the ground running, jumped off the 12' deck...up a rock wall and into the truck! Lady got em' out and off to the vet. No broken bones, just a busted lip.......and some claw marks on my arm. Oh well, I'm bringing a carp net next time.

then off to slay a maple/locust/Poplar......and I get to live
Bivy.... Did you use any bait ...can of food ?

Yeh..did not work. PSYCHO cat. Oh well, next time, maybe a pillow case over my hand like snake handelers do

The best arrangement I've come up with was a heavy, long gauntlet glove with a cheap day pack stitched to the cuff. The glove was on the inside, stitched to a slit in the botton seam. You turn the pack inside-out up over your forearm with your hand in the glove...grab cat, invert bag over cat, zip it up and you have an enclosed cat. Pull your hand out of the glove and presto-chango it's done.

From yesterday actually...

Small 50-ish foot oak with stress fractures starting basally and extending longitudinally to about 12 feet.

Can't see it in this picture, but we used the porty to keep the ground guys on the ground.

I flew the bucket for a friend's company- he took the pic.

8)

Burn, that glove-thingey sounds awesome... LMAO!

I'd just hate to be the one who "let's the cat out of the bag". ;)

The best arrangement I've come up with was a heavy, long gauntlet glove with a cheap day pack stitched to the cuff. The glove was on the inside, stitched to a slit in the botton seam. You turn the pack inside-out up over your forearm with your hand in the glove...grab cat, invert bag over cat, zip it up and you have an enclosed cat. Pull your hand out of the glove and presto-chango it's done.

good idea......only my third cat rescue. Next time fish net with bird sounds.:D

I've about concluded that the best remedy for cat-in-tree problems is the Bigshot and a bucket-full of water balloons.

Have to get the cat owner out of town, though.
:D

I killed a big Bull Pine, all climbing with a bit of roping. Then I refused another pine TD cuz I wasn't gonna climb it, too hazardous for my taste.

That's pretty clever for a cat rescue. I've only done two, the first one jumped, and the second one crawled into my arms. We worked at a goat dairy in the AM and then at the apartments in the afternoon. There was a monster caterpillar ripping across the street from the goat dairy.

Attachments

• avila 004 (Large).jpg
    avila 004 (Large).jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 4
  • avila 006 (Large).jpg
    avila 006 (Large).jpg
    188 KB · Views: 5
  • avila 007 (Large).jpg
    avila 007 (Large).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 4
Took out one big short(pollarded, many times)willow, then pruned a spruce for clearance on a service drop and took out a small chestnut, then pruned a fir for satellite clearance. I'm beat, part of me hates pruning a tree so someone can sit on their ass and watch tv, but heh another part of me likes getting paid.:D

Back