How'd it go today?

Hell yah! Now you're talking.8)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-jOEAufDQ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-jOEAufDQ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

!000 percent better today! I did go back to the high end,worked on my best customers land...a half dozen pull trees all except one had fairly heavy back lean to the wires all interfeared with the view.I used pole equipment to rig medium high,used the Tirfor to pullem.The job went sweet.Best part...Straight hourly commercial rate...no sweating the bid,focused on quality the customer and the arborst are happy!

Well, I wont be doing a lot of typing for a while. I had a bad day!!(some of you will be happy about that I'm sure:lol:)
I Foooked up REALLY BAD! I was checking the suction on one of the saws and got my fingers in the blade. 30"dia. .250" thick, carbide tipped, spinning at 2200RPM.
Totally my fault and I got STUPID LUCKY for being so stupid!!! I thought it was worse!!
I got the first three fingers, two were minor cuts, no stitches at all.
The index finger was cut at an angle, thicker on the tip, taking 1/3 of the fingernail. They had to take a chunk off the side of my palm and graft it onto my finger. Ten stitches on the tip of my finger, two where they took the graft.
All because I STUCK MY HAND WHERE IT DIDN'T BELONG!!!!!!!!!!! Totally and completly a MORONIC AND STUPID thing to do!!!!
Be careful out there, it's too easy to get complacent!!!

No pics., I couldn't look at it.
No idea on the nerve damage yet, the Doc. didn't say anything though? When I was in surgery he commented it wasn't as bad as he first thought.
I'll live, it just hurts like hell!!
I really thought I lost the tips of them all!!! And could have easily been sucked in deeper!

That sucks, Andy. I damaged my thumb many years ago, ripped the pad off when it got smashed with a log. They had to trim a little meat/ skin and sewed up what was left. To this day the area is rubbery with no feeling and the skin just isn't attached like it should be. I have to constantly trim the callous buildup along the scar line using fingernail clippers.

Hey, take the rest of the week off and heal up, ya hear? 8)

This is my right hand. I only have a half thumb left on the left one Brian. Something about me and saws?

I wish I could take the rest of the week off, too much going on!! But I get tommorow off with "light duty" until next Wensday.

Damm Andy! Good thing it wasn't any worse.

I had another hose blow inside my boom today. We got it fixed this afternoon and are ready for tomorrow morning.

Really sorry to hear this Andy. I lost half the tip of my left forefinger many years ago, and I don't think anything ever hurt so bad for the first week or so. Never did get fully recovered to normal sense of touch there, and cold weather strikes deep on that finger tip. Best of luck in your recovery.

Keep that hand still and elevated for a few days, if you can.

just got home and im going to bed. Got 46 hours in this week so far, time for some shut eye.

I've been getting so many calls that I have a hard time getting any work done. I'm getting further behind all the time.

Dang, Andy, hope you heal fast!

I did a similar stupid thing back in 1990, but far worse. Got my hand near a whiz saw, which I use for hedges....circular saw. turns 20k rpm?? blade caught on a pear branch, sucked it into my wrist..result, three severed tendons, cut blood vessel, some bone...and the worst, my ulnar nerve. Still have limited ability to spread my fingers, and only partial feeling in the last twofingers.....

Had a good day today.

Went 53 miles south to reconnoiter (for 2nd time) the 145 tree job at a nat'l guard site near Tacoma. Took Eli to help do the cruise...if we land the job, he'll be a sub. I'll need another certified arborist (2 of the 3 other climbers that I can bring in used to be certified but let it lapse.) Specs also stipulate no spurs for pruning, and no bucket trucks on the lawn (which some other bidders might try to circumvent in their bid....) Think we have a good chance of scoring the job. With our talent, no one else could do the job as fast, I'm thinking. Trying to bid it competitively and still make $.

Then, there's a bad ass poplar removal that some yahoo landed, but doesn't know how to do. My consulting arborist buds were concerned about this guy's abilities, and referred the client to me. He called me right away. This yahoo wanted to crane everything when there's no real way to do it. The crane co told me what they had planned, but they didn't think it would work..and they also realized he was clueless.....He'd bid $12k, but his crane costs, if the job would even go down, would be $4500-$7000, and wood removal up to $2500. I'm gonna bid about $16000 plus or minus $1500, but will only need my regular crane guy for the wood. He has a rented 28 ton with narrow spread for the back outriggers (needed due to space between the houses being 20 feet or so)....plenty of room for the front outriggers.

Remember my story of him tipping his 23 tonner over? Well, I found out the deal. He asked the homeowner where the septic tank was..turned out the fool didn''t know. Anyhow, Mike had already picked 5 trees, when the crane punched through and tipped over fast. Mike could have been crushed when it tipped, but he fell into the septic tank......pppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww, ,, but better stinky as all get out than dead, huh??

Now he has a sharpened long piece of rebar and a mallet...to check out the ground......

Anyhow, speaking of poplars, we're removing two tomorrow, 100 footers or so...

To finish the day off with the first real work, we left at 5:30pm to drive 30 minutes to remove an 18 incher, maybe 60 feet tall, that had tipped halfway over in Dec 2006 storm.....no good trees to rig out of, but we guyed it back to a maple in a neighbors yard, and supported it with the GRCS. Climbed a small leyland, swung over to attach the guy line, then limbed it....my lifeline was crotched 20 feet below me, when I popped a 3 inch top into another leyland, trying to make it land in the neighbor's wild area and clear a chain link fence. Mickey got it out with a throw line. Chunked it down, hid the last 20 feet of wood in two different neighbor's blackberries, to save hauling it up a circuitous steep path, as we did with the rest of the tree. We were there about 110 minutes..not bad for $900.....

Got home at 8:45, cooked the last half of that awesome fresh wild Alaska silver salmon....along with some great rice and herbs, with added garlic chunks, and a beer....Oh yeah!!! Enough left for my 5th, 6th and maybe 7th meal from it....

and, if they're still some in the store, I'll buy anuddr one!

and, trying to solve some puter issues with ad-aware, and spybot...and maybe a registry cleaner---if I can't find a good free one, might have to buy...any tips, ya nerds?

Back