How'd it go today?

I took a hike

6 miles (ROUNDTRIP) to a waterfall - soaked my feet, had lunch and headed back. great day

Damn Paul, that walk looks wicked! Is that the only pic you got? Any more info/links on it? It looks kinda flimsy, spooky!

MB. its not done yet, the guide said about a month or so. I am not sure what kind of handrail they are going to use, they have to have something there I would think. When its done I will try to get on it and get more info.

I got some more pics sent to me today.

Attachments

• canopy walkway-08 (4) (Large).JPG
    canopy walkway-08 (4) (Large).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 13
  • canopy walkway-08 (5) (Large).JPG
    canopy walkway-08 (5) (Large).JPG
    92 KB · Views: 13
  • canopy walkway-08 (6) (Large).JPG
    canopy walkway-08 (6) (Large).JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 13
  • canopy walkway-08 (7) (Large).JPG
    canopy walkway-08 (7) (Large).JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 13
  • canopy walkway-08 (Large).JPG
    canopy walkway-08 (Large).JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 13
  • canopy walkway-08 (3) (Large).JPG
    canopy walkway-08 (3) (Large).JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 13
I was wondering in the first pic what was up - it looked kinda dangerous to walk on as is. I wonder what's involved with the insurance/liability on something like that.

It would be cool to do that here, somewhere. We have plenty of stands of big ass pines. I wish I knew somebody I could talk into financing something like that, sweet!

apparently the cost of this is about 1.6 Million (the lowdown I heard is that the company that builds the rig is donating it and they (the botanic garden) will charge a seperate fee at admittance to those who want to take the elevated walk, partial proceeds back to the garden from the extra charge. its supposedly about 300 meters long, highest point 75 meters. I will go back in a month or so and see if its up and runnin'

I moped all morning then decided to go to a family party around 5. Nice to see everyone, my aunts sister hasn't seen me since I was 10, 12 years ago. Just got in, nice time to chill.

Just finished 5 miles on the treadmill, now I can justify sitting on my ass all day.

This tree( all but the first pic) failed in the Dec 2006 storm. It was a double codominate. (Forked into two, then those two into 4 or 5 above)..We had installed a Cobra cable system in the canopy about 6 years ago.I hadn't pruned it, or if I did, not nearly enough. It failed below the cabled area, leaving about one branch. We left it at ~40 feet, as a wildlife snag and suggested having it carved into something. Ann decided to remove it, which we did yesterday. We lowered a 12 foot section with the GRCS, which probably weighed 1500 pounds. It had broken 16 feet above the fork, so we used the smaller trunk to lift the larger one off. Thern we felled the bottom 26 feet, and cut 4 slabs from the butt. Two will make nice tables. The other two have the face cut section missing. I might be able to dig down and cut one more. Anyone want to buy a table? Given time, We should be able to come up with some suitable legs from large curved cedar branches....I'm going to buy some special Anchor Seal wood sealant and paint the slabs tomorrow after work., to keep them from checking and cracking. Then Eric of GoGreen Design can help me get them planed and sanded. The holes will create some character for the table...something could be placed in them, like a glass candleholder...etc...

On either side of the tree, bigger and better cedars thrive. Ian Scott pruned one 6 years ago, and Dave Sturm and I pruned the other one last month, which is nearly 24 feet in circumference at ground level. (See the first pic)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157605931833891/

Here's the video..no title, subtitles etc...and raw sound..customer wondering about the camera, and me blathering on about nothing.....

Click here to watch Hargis-Cedar Dubble click for full screen.

It's 75 mb....I put it on putfile, first time I've used them since the "Squeeze Play" first try....I see its taking a long time to buffer..But the quality is quite good!

I'll try it on Google or U-Tube.......later.

I had to tie it down a ways to get lift...so it didn't hang as straight as I like.. but we managed to lift it off, after I got the saw unstuck and nipped the last of the holding wood.

<div align="center">
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=Hargis-Cedar" height="349" width="420" align="middle">
<param name="movie" value="http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=Hargis-Cedar" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<embed src="http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=Hargis-Cedar" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="349" width="420"></embed>
</object><br><a href="http://media.putfile.com/Hargis-Cedar?utm_source=embed1&utm_medium=embed">

Good stuff, Rog. Although the constant ads popping up on the screen every minute or so are highly annoying. I was wondering why Putfile had drifted off into obscurity, now I know. But the video is good and that was an impressive chunk of wood you rigged down.

dubble click for full screen...presto...adsbegone....8)

or just download it...it takes a while to load either way.

Rog, what rope is that you're lowering on?

I got pissed at Putfile for deleting my videos without warning or a way to recover them. The vids had been watched hundreds/thousands of times over the couple years they were up.

I'm on my third day.

Got up Friday at 10, stayed up till around 3-4, got back up at 8, back in bed at 12 :).

Did take Dad to Lowes today, $600, mainly irrigation stuff.

Rog, what rope is that you're lowering on?

I got pissed at Putfile for deleting my videos without warning or a way to recover them. The vids had been watched hundreds/thousands of times over the couple years they were up.

PSRopes DSComposite static HMWPE.....9/16th-- 19000 tensile. still working well....the core popped through the cover in one spot....I should whip it...don't want to cut the line and make it shorter

I have a new 300 footer with spliced eye....

and 600 feet of 12 strand spectra, who wants to buy 300 feet?....24,000 lb, cheap at $450....

How's the Spectra on the winch?

I have Validator with a spliced eye for my heavy lifting. Even full of wraps we have to hold the tail to get lift, although it will hold on it's own. I keep forgetting to check the tension on the tailer's springs.

Is Validator 24 strand? If so, it might be a bit more slippery than mine...

Those lines get stiff when loaded, too, ya know.

I just picked up the rounds...and measured the log we lowered..with my hand..forgot the tape. But it appeared to be 22"x28"x12 feet. Green red cedar would weigh about 1450 lb.......I thought that was what I'd calculated, but was thinking the log was smaller than that.....

The winch line is really tattered--just the last 2 feet though... I can always resplice it..or even tie it to the hook.....

The next winch line I get will be jacketed..or at least with a sheath for the last few feet. When I take the time, or think about it, I put a sling around the load that's being winched, so that it takes the wear..but that limits how close the load can be moved to the chipper.

Today Deva and I stopped by to see The Senator on the way home from work. Here's a couple pictures. Deva is the one on the illegal side of the fence. ;)

Back