How'd it go today?

What's the pipe on the exhaust, Jim? Anti spark contraption?

Does that tractor have one of those gated shifters that is harder to figure out than a Rubik's cube?
It's an aftermarket exhaust aspirator.

It uses a venturi in the exhaust pipe to create an area of low pressure.

Atmospheric pressure entering the air cleaner then will push dirt through the tube to the exhaust outlet to be expelled out with the exhaust.

It's designed to "pre clean" a little dirt out before it gets to the air filter.

No, this tractor has the 8 speed power shift. Not the complex shift pattern.

How are things going on the farm Jim? Look like it's gonna be a decent year?
Not as bad as last year for sure. Not a runaway either...but after all those years of drought we are starting to rebuild soil moisture.

Gonna have some hay anyway. Our cover crops are not doing so good though. They are going to need a rain.

Big radiator?

Staking LOD again today. It was hot and humid as shit in the valley, and we're starting to get into some thick stuff. I was completely drenched, and now I'm beat. Threw a chain cutting little stuff, and it took forever to get everything back together. A couple drivelinks got boogered, and I was trying to deburr them with a round file. Got it lowered enough to mash it back in the bar, and my captive nut fell off. It became misplaced for a minute. Echo uses a wire retainer, and it's faaar inferior to Stihl's built in retainer. If I could change any one thing on that saw, that would be it. Back again tomorrow I guess. Can't wait... :^|

edit:
Ticks haven't been bad, but I just had one crawling up my side.

Last edited:
Was looking at heavy duty brush cutter blade options. some of the simple ones are a lot more expensive than it seems they should be and wouldn't quite fit the shaft size on my Troy Bilt. So, I checked the scrap materials and found a 19.375" mower blade that fits that I can cut down to 12", though 18" or so will fit in the guard, but it's too much for that small engine. Also made a plastic spacer/adapter to center an old non carbide tipped 7" circular saw blade, which works well on woody stuff at least. Cost $0.

Big radiator?

Staking LOD again today. It was hot and humid as shit in the valley, and we're starting to get into some thick stuff. I was completely drenched, and now I'm beat. Threw a chain cutting little stuff, and it took forever to get everything back together. A couple drivelinks got boogered, and I was trying to deburr them with a round file. Got it lowered enough to mash it back in the bar, and my captive nut fell off. It became misplaced for a minute. Echo uses a wire retainer, and it's faaar inferior to Stihl's built in retainer. If I could change any one thing on that saw, that would be it. Back again tomorrow I guess. Can't wait... :^|

edit:
Ticks haven't been bad, but I just had one crawling up my side.
When one or more of the drive links burr and the chain won’t go back in the groove, just put the chain on really loose, hold it straight soit won’t fall off and run the saw for a few seconds (or more)
It will rub the burr off and the chain will go back in the groove.

Boss said he's doing officework, and suggested I go to the trail job and clear. Sitting here debating that. I don't really feel like going out there, but it would probably make things easier. I think I have enough tools at home to go without stopping at the office, but it would be nice to have my backpack. Decisions, decisions...

Tested positive for COVID last night on 2 separate tests. I was feeling a little tired towards the end of our vacation and had a throat tickle. I rode the mountain bike really hard on Saturday and trained my upper body to failure on Sunday with the weights so I thought as symptoms of Covid got worse, that it was just over exercising (you don’t know your limits unless you push to find them !) My dad broke his hip last month and I was supposed to take him to the original surgeon today for an inspection. I decided I had better test for the damned virus as I didn’t want to get him sick. Sure enough. I hope it doesn’t get as bad as last time with 104* fever, rigors, coughing blood from pneumonia. I’m stuck on the couch. Arrrggghhh!! My brother in law took my dad to the appointment. We’re all supposed to go to South Carolina on Friday as a family. I hope to God all of our plans can be executed. Hopefully my wife and kids don’t get this.

Went out to the job, and I probably shouldn't have. Almost puked again. It wasn't even all that hot today, and it was cloudy, but air just doesn't move down there. I've come out of pools less wet than I am now. Lost my chainsaw multitool. Haven't given up on it yet. Next time out I'll try to retrace my steps, and see if it turns up. Haven't had eye problems since I started using RedArmor. The fumes still bother me when they don't go anywhere, but it's less burny.

Overall, it was a pretty shit day. Not sure how much longer I can do this. It's either quit working, or move somewhere that doesn't eat shit. Heat will literally kill you. Cold can be trivially survived using medieval tech. If you're using cold vests and other nonsense, you're just a step away from space suits, and in the wrong friggin' place.

That seems to be happening. I wonder why? I've read it's because you don't sweat as much, but I definitely don't have that problem. I'm sitting here in a shirt and underwear saturated to the point of refusal, and trying to get up the motivation for a shower. Maybe it's reduced fitness. Everything's harder, so it takes more effort to get the same amount of work done.

Back