How'd it go today?

The log dolly is really a great tool to have for moving logs. But it is border line too heavy to move by hand, two guys or mini. The foam filled tires really added the weight to it. But seam to take the weight of the logs well with good floatation. I’ve never used the handle I made and probably never will.
I want to make an arb trolly clone but with a narrower axle to accommodate wider tires. But still use 2”x2”x1/4” tube, 2000lb spindles and hubs so it can take some wood. Overkill but hey why not. Then build a nice light bunk and handle out of 14ga tube.
Building shit is cool.
Inspiration pic
Pics got added weird
That is smart, I’d love one for the Avant.

The ring doesn't have any room to go in or out as is, ramp or not. It's jammed tight between the groove in the cylinder and the little recess around the head. But it can still be serviceable without telling openly that it actually is. To get it out without damaging anything, try to push the head/knob inside the cylinder a little bit, say around 1/4 "max ( push hard on the knob itself, not on the rod, hydraulique fittings unscrewed to let the oil out freely). That's a counter-intuitive move, but this way, the knob's front recoils behind the back of the ring, leaving the clearance to pull the ring out with a flat screw driver. Then pull out the rod and its piston to extract the knob. It's the same principle applied for the old truck's rims with the locking ring.
To mount it back, it's just the reverse, piston rod and the knob all the way in, snap the ring in, pull the rod again forward to set the knob in its place, locking the ring at the same time.

It "should" be done with no drama.
In theory. LOL

***Nods and smiles, pretending to be engaged with this conversation, but actually deeply pondering about how the T-Rex managed to get anything done during the Jurassic period with such tiny, pathetic, useless arms.***

Anyways, I'm mostly just a useless plebian when it comes to the motorized mechanical and soldering realm. I haven't a clue what anyone is talking about in this thread anymore. But it's all okay, because my mom told me today that I'm "special" and reminded me to wear my helmet...when I tree climb.

Why am I awake at 4am? Well, I was lurking through the local neighborhoods, in search of some kind of unopposed, ungated entry point to the massive golf course adjacent to my apartment complex. At night, that place is shut down like Fort Knox, but thanks to Google Earth Pro, and some illegal trespassing, I managed to find a way into the golf course through someone's home's property. It was quite literally the ONLY ungated, unwalled, un-surveilled home for over 2 miles along a massive perimeter; and I was on foot because I'm poor, so thankfully it wasn't ridiculously far away lol.

Why sneak into a golf course like a cat burglar at 2am? Well, because it's the closest locale that doesn't have obscene light pollution (but it's actually still pretty badly polluted; but better than anything else I can access on foot) and I was fixin' to do some astrophotography. More specifically, composite astrophotography, where you combine something interesting in the foreground on Earth (in this case, a massive, gorgeous tree) with a long exposure shot of the stars beyond our planet with two or more photos, without moving the camera, using a tripod and an intervalometer, and merely adjusting the focus...manually...between the shots, because it's pitch black dark, and autofocus won't work. It's a lot harder than it sounds.

Anyways, after I made the 20 minute trek to the golf course, naturally, the sprinklers started going off right where I wanted to shoot. At first they were a few meters away and I was fine, but then they went off even closer, so I decided to f*ck off and go home.

The end. Great story, right? Now I'm waiting for my sleep meds to kick in so that I can observe a semi-natural circadian rhythm like a typical, diurnal homo sapiens.

Thats enough to just swap it with a different make, what sick bastards would come up with something like that!? There's probably a redneck way too, if you got the keeper ring out or destroyed you could pull it, or maybe just cut the other end and weld it back up when you're done or something. I would be tempted to see if i could wash the ring out with a cutting torch, or maybe get it to crack with a chisel if it's not steel, or maybe grind down to a spot from the outside with a cutting wheel to cut it out that way, which wouldn't affect the new ring or seal areas. Last ditch efforts to make it easy enough to do again before ordering a new one that you can rebuild. A taper like that could also be just to help it assemble easier too and push the orings in, there's gotta be a way to get that off.
Yeah, I was thinking try to drill through it in several places to get the ring out, then make a new one out of the right size wire.

Or drill a hole in each end to use to squeeze the ring ends together while pulling apart.

Make some tools for the mini, maybe a big log arch that you can use with the mini to move and load far more than the mini will pick, or a big log dolly like @flushcut did, either of those would be as cheap as an old axle and some pipe or something, and would give you more material handling capabilities than you currently have, making you more profitable. I've most of my stuff for the tree business and around the house, and i build stuff all the time for work at work too, including a big weighted base for the core drill so i don't have to set an anchor on smaller floor holes. The more you use it the more you'll find yourself using it as a tool for a bunch more than you ever anticipated, and won't hesitate to whip up your own tools as needed, or use it in ways you didn't think of before, like cutting u joints to pull parts or work on stuff.
I have a DR mower I have ideas for too
It was a tow behind that does not work all that great on out terrain. Attatch that deck to a mini plate. ;)
Log Arch is going to work next week. 20240602_125633.jpg 20240602_125645.jpg

Apparently Google is giving away my email address, or is emailing me ads in the name of other companies. I looked something up today, read a couple web pages, and a few hours later I notice an email from that company. That's got to be breaking some sort of law.

I flew to Juneau today for an MRI tomorrow...been dealing with a problem knee for too long and need to know what's going on. Rented a car for 24 hrs and had some time to kill this afternoon. A few pictures from today.
IMG_20240602_151513_MP.jpg
Eagle River
IMG_20240602_153641_MP.jpg
Glacier highway shot.
IMG_20240602_153649_MP.jpg
Muskeg beaver pond
IMG_20240602_171455_MP.jpg
Mendenhall lake and glacier. Nugget falls on the right.

Apparently Google is giving away my email address, or is emailing me ads in the name of other companies. I looked something up today, read a couple web pages, and a few hours later I notice an email from that company. That's got to be breaking some sort of law.

You likely have personalized advertising allowed on your phone or device or on Google, or have an iphone which requires them on. You can start saying something random as you can out loud when it's sleeping and a few days later you'll have an ad about it, something like cat food if you don't have a cat. We talk to my wife's iphone all the time, usually saying we need some more orders for her shop or we're going to lose the house or something and the next thing you know she gets a bunch :lol:

We talk to my wife's iphone all the time, usually saying we need some more orders for her shop or we're going to lose the house or something and the next thing you know she gets a bunch :lol:
Seriously? That's disturbing on a couple levels. First is the amount of spying going on, and secondly, how easy it is to hack the system. That means businesses aren't on an equal footing with an honest marketplace.

Yesterday kinda kicked my ass. I'm so out shape, and the heat was bothering me. However, I tried electrolyte replacement for the first time, and I didn't get cramps last night. I had a can of V8, and some government issue "gatorade" on-site, and it looks like it maybe worked. I'll keep doing it going forward, and see if it persists. Cramps are the worst, especially the ill defined ones that go down my shins. Doing "stuff" doesn't seem to help, and you just have to tough it out til they stop.

Phones have been listening for many years. Facebook, which I haven't been on in a couple of years, and now Instagram, will show content related to something that was said, or even from Google searches.

Yup, cramps usually mean low electrolytes, i carry a little thing of low sodium salt to mix up so you don't get all the sugar that's in sports drinks.

That means businesses aren't on an equal footing with an honest marketplace.

Lol where do you think we live? Never in history has anyone ever been on equal footing, and great lengths are gone to to ensure so. It probably doesn't work like that, but it seems to so why not?

I don't see ads anywhere I control. Billboards, and stuff in the mail is about it, and I only look at mail ads to see what treecos are around. My phone doesn't listen to anything unless I tell it to listen.

But this isn't just an ad I'm seeing, it was an email from the company for just looking at their website from a google search. Too far in my opinion, as is listening. I tried editing personalized ads once, but then they change rules and default to doing what they want with your info. I guess I can't complain about seeing tools and stuff. the ads could be worse.

they probably have a key logger on the chrome browser too.

You likely have personalized advertising allowed on your phone or device or on Google, or have an iphone which requires them on. You can start saying something random as you can out loud when it's sleeping and a few days later you'll have an ad about it, something like cat food if you don't have a cat. We talk to my wife's iphone all the time, usually saying we need some more orders for her shop or we're going to lose the house or something and the next thing you know she gets a bunch :lol:

Back