How'd it go today?

Hope you heal quick Steve. Thankfully, I've never had rib damage, but I can imagine what it feels like just trying to get through life existing, and not really doing anything.

edit:
cleaned up sloppy sentence structure. When I'm writing, I have several versions going at once, and sometimes they get jumbled together. I usually don't bother correcting, but sometimes they're a real eyesore, and I have to change it.

Last edited:
I just had a fox come to get some cat food. I got up to either bang on the window or take a picture. I hadn't fully decided, but Spot chased him off. She came out like a white flash, and the fox took off :^D She's protective of the food bowl. The only other one allowed to eat is Blackie. There was a little drama last week when a strange cat thought it would get some food, and Spot thought otherwise. The strange cat came around to Spot's POV, and left :^D

Well I slept ok so not as bad as I thought. Bending over is a bit hard and deep breathing or coughing isn't a good idea.

I'd jacked the trailer up and put pavers under the wheels, when it came off them I changed grips and that didn't work.

Had a few ribs broken before, got T boned on New Years Eve '92 about 3pm just after a job, that hurt. Had to sleep in my recliner for 3-4 weeks because I couldn't lie down. Never used it much after that but still do sometimes.

I've been walking past a shop in town for months that has a nice looking one in the widow, Monday I went in and tried it out. Not as good but there was one that was really comfortable, bit too expensive though but I did give it some thought.

So this was a warning from my recliner. It's not leaving anytime soon.

It was a mixed luck kind of day... Boss didn't work so I went in to cut firewood. Couldn't get to my regular spot, so I had to find another place on the farm. Got the wood cut, and went to try my new sexy boot on the chipper. frig me if the boot doesn't require a nippleless stud :^S I farted around wiping some grease off the chipper, and tried my new Accusharp on the knives(seemed to work ok). I then went to Advance Auto to see if they had anything I could use. Nothing... Then to TSC and got the last three of these they had. It claims to be equivalent to the NGK specified...

IMG_20240214_135033176.jpg

It's the official plug of the NHRA, so now I'll have a hotrod chipper :^D Hopefully these work well. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Best part is the nipples remove, so I'll be able to use my new boot with them. Fingers crossed...

Three of the four daughters have birthdays coming up soon, so I figure I’d make them pendant necklaces.

This is the proof of concept prototype I started this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_9677.jpeg
    IMG_9677.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9674.jpeg
    IMG_9674.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9669.jpeg
    IMG_9669.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9665.jpeg
    IMG_9665.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 5
You're really doing great with that new rig Pat. Do you find it challenging, or have you 'got it'? Any mistakes where you just have to scrap the material?

John,

So far i have not scrapped a piece, but at this time I am basically utilizing the techniques and methodology Harvey taught me.

I have a symposium exhibit coming up at the end of May. The creative pieces I have in mind (like interconnected, five-sided bowls arranged in an upward spiraling helix) will be trial and error for sure!

The saga continues... Turns out it wasn't the boot. I tested it again today and got continuity. I guess I didn't have it probed right before. I ordered a coil from AIP electronics. They give the impression of being a quality am maker. The coil numbers don't exactly match, but I think it's the right one based on tertiary evidence. There's no guarantee the one on my machine shipped with it.

Just as well. The POS boot I got broke already. I put it on a plug twice, and the keeper wire came apart. Chinese trash. I'm getting really tired of this...

Otherwise, I got more firewood today, and dropped more trees around the pond. Would've been an alright day if not for the chipper.

This is why I use semichisel chain...

View attachment 136097

Cutting firewood, and trying to find the Kaveman a nice piece of elm. Not having a lot of luck. They're either broken or rot has started on the outside.
This doesn’t cut fast, but I think faster than semi and stays sharp way better than round filed because the edge is supported better. It’s like husky Xcut or stihl Hexa but filed more vertical/durable.

IMG_5331.jpeg

Stihl oil is trash. Red armor, amsoil, even wal mart synthetic is better. A guy on another forum tested progressively leaner oil ratios to destruction…

Stihl oil is trash. Red armor, amsoil, even wal mart synthetic is better. A guy on another forum tested progressively leaner oil ratios to destruction…
I agree with you on the orange bottle Stihl mix oil. But the silver bottle synthetic is excellent oil. I have used Stihl synthetic for many years in all my ported saws and even after 10-12+ years my saws have excellent compression and run as good as they did when new.

I've read it makes a lot of ash. More directly, saw fumes have been increasingly bothering me the last year or two. The brushcutter in the woods is particularly bad. The fumes seem to hang, and burn the hell out of my eyes. I hope the RedArmor's better. I have a gallon of it, so I'll be using it for awhile :^D Also, RedArmor meets a higher spec. Stihl oil technically violates echo's warranty.

This doesn’t cut fast, but I think faster than semi and stays sharp way better than round filed because the edge is supported better. It’s like husky Xcut or stihl Hexa but filed more vertical/durable.
I'm using an Oregon ⅜"lp chain on my cs400. I found it in the trash. It's a consumer safety chain. I've noticed it's more semi than Stihl is. The corner's more rounded than Stihl semi. It's giving me problems sharpening. I have a harder time with semichisel anyway, and the extra roundness doesn't help. Add to that the gnarly bits Oregon seems to accumulate on the edge when filing, I don't enjoy using it. I have an easier time seeing when full chisel is sharp.

IMG_0143.jpeg IMG_0138.jpeg IMG_0033.jpeg IMG_9224.jpeg IMG_7831.jpeg I'm using an Oregon ⅜"lp chain on my cs400. I found it in the trash. It's a consumer safety chain. I've noticed it's more semi than Stihl is. The corner's more rounded than Stihl semi. It's giving me problems sharpening. I have a harder time with semichisel anyway, and the extra roundness doesn't help. Add to that the gnarly bits Oregon seems to accumulate on the edge when filing, I don't enjoy using it. I have an easier time seeing when full chisel is sharp.
Not a fan of Oregon semi.

Best I can advise is to tilt the file handle down 10° or so. This puts the working “corner” up where it’s supposed to be (like stihl) instead of down on the side of the cutter.

I've read it makes a lot of ash. More directly, saw fumes have been increasingly bothering me the last year or two. The brushcutter in the woods is particularly bad. The fumes seem to hang, and burn the hell out of my eyes. I hope the RedArmor's better. I have a gallon of it, so I'll be using it for awhile :^D Also, RedArmor meets a higher spec. Stihl oil technically violates echo's warranty.
Alkylate fuel= no noticeable fumes.

No money in your pocket either! I keep some Aspen around for special purposes, but it's expensive when you're not really doing this stuff for money. No bid price to lose it in. If came down to running Aspen or quitting 2stroke, I guess I'd find the money for Aspen, but it would be a serious added bill.

Another firewood day. Cherry for next year, Norway maple for this year. Burnham would be jealous of my boutique spalted maple :^D Curious to see how it burns. I've never used more than a piece or two at a time. I don't recall being impressed. This stuff has been long dead, and fully suspended, so it's fairly dry for finishing out the season. I'm real low on good seasoned wood.

IMG_20240216_113205481.jpg

I feel you on that one, John. I had to go play with my saw today (many tears were shed, I assure you), didn't leave myself quite enough laying about during the firewood selling season. Luckily I've some deadwood on the property, which may not be the case after I get my grubby mits on a chipper.

Back