How'd it go today?

My complex had this dead tree that should have been cut down awhile ago. It fell over onto a nearby, thriving tree and was held up by a very small limb. It fell over in the crazy winds we had the other day.

I told maintenance, who I'm pretty friendly with, that I could easily free that dead tree and that I'd do it for the cost of an experience. They've seen me pruning deadwood around my complex and recreationally climbing and gave me a chance.

I rigged up the dead tree to one of my rigging ropes with a pulley/hitch/rope wrench system so that I could pull the entire dead tree off the limb, then cut the small limb that was holding it up with a hand saw, and then gently lower the dead tree to the ground. using my hitch based rope wrench system that was up next to me in the canopy of the other tree. Pulled it off with no ground guy.

This was my first real treework (if doing it for free counts) in a few months, so I was proud of myself. It was a pretty simple job, but it challenged me because I'm obviously not a professional. I found a solution, though. What a fun experience.

Tree work, as I see it, is basically continuous problem solving. People who do tree work professionally are clearly excellent problem solvers who are adept with physics and engineering/rope access.

My only regret is that I thought I turned my GoPro on for the job and...I did...but there was no memory card in it. Probably the third time that's happened to me. Not used to these things. Such a dick situation. Would have made premiere content.

So, question for the real tree guys/arborists: Would you call my dead tree a "snag?" I've seen that term tossed around a lot. Or does that only apply to dead standing trees in wilderness/parks?

Here's a pretty thorough article on the matter. Seems as though I might be correct. However, lingo can often be interpreted differently by different people. So I'll leave it up to you all to educate me, if you would be so kind. :)

Once it fell over its status as a snag was dropped. Once it hung up in the other tree, it became a "Hanger", or even a widowmaker.

Good job, and yes free work is still tree work, it counts.

My favorite part of tree work is the continuous problem solving. It's a very Flow State line of work.

Got off work early, and worked a bit on the pond job. Got both my cs490, and 2511t stuck, and they suffered the ignominy of being rescued by Old Smoky. Otherwise, it went alright. I think I'm done cutting to firewood length. You only need so much willow firewood. Got some wood freehand milled for Spot's sun spot wind shelter, but it's too late for it this year. I'll save the parts and put it together next season. I'll probably rip some more boards. Dunno what I'll do with them, but they might come in handy some time.

Finished at the bridge project today. It went good. Wasted my lunch trying to figure out how to access my patient portal. I get some of the stuff but not everything. My insurance info is what I’m trying to access and it wasn’t happening. Oh well. I’ll let my wife deal with that. After work I moved four totes of wood up to the drive for my father in law to come get tomorrow. He needed a cord of seasoned oak to complete an order for one of his smoker customers. And then I had my son working up the heavy bag while we had a chat about his recent attitude. Felt like a good talk and I hope I was able to get through to him this way.

Finished at the bridge project today. It went good. Wasted my lunch trying to figure out how to access my patient portal. I get some of the stuff but not everything. My insurance info is what I’m trying to access and it wasn’t happening. Oh well. I’ll let my wife deal with that. After work I moved four totes of wood up to the drive for my father in law to come get tomorrow. He needed a cord of seasoned oak to complete an order for one of his smoker customers. And then I had my son working up the heavy bag while we had a chat about his recent attitude. Felt like a good talk and I hope I was able to get through to him this way.
If you have had any recent prescriptions, your insurance information can be accessed from whatever pharmacy you use.

Good luck with your son. Boys are hard, I'm glad I've got girls. Teenager? Try to remember when you were his age, sometimes the attitude isn't exactly his fault.

Can't imagine being young nowadays, the world's a damn site scarier now than it was then.

It was a low key eventful day. Did my usual dumb work, and on the way back to the office, I stopped at the consignment shop. Picked up some shorty Fiskars loppers, and another Fiskars pole pruner. Couldn't pass the pruner up for $10.80. I think it'll be worth having as a dedicated pruner, and take the cord completely off my other one to use solely as a saw. Having the cord tied to it, even though disconnected is a bit of a hassle. I also dug up some crocus. You can see them a little in the background.

IMG_20240207_122330966.jpg

Ate lunch, then brushcut around the pond, knocking a bunch of trash down. I then checked the sparkplugs on the chipper. Champion plugs(ugh), and cylinders #1 & #3 looked a little gnarly. #2 looked brand new. Literally brand new. It had never been fired. I'm on track to figuring out the performance problems. I can't find my multimeter, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping a new coilpack fixes it. I still have to order it. Jacks doesn't have them, and the Kubota dealer apparently sucks. They can't deal with engines. They need a make, model, serial# to be useful, or I can give them a motor model, and hope for the best as they order it! This is after I pull the exact part out of my pocket, complete with all markings... No thanks. I'll order it by myself.

The chipper's still got issues, but getting all the cylinders working will give a better idea what to attack next, and which problems were caused by having a dead cylinder. I ordered NGK plugs from Jacks while I was there. So, @Treeaddict The chipper's down for a little bit. It shouldn't be too long, and hopefully it'll be a new chipper once I put in the coilpack.

Home now. Got the crocus planted, and I'm inside with a fire ready, but I feel warm, even with it being 49°. I'll light the fire a bit later I guess.

We're getting a lot of rain in the desert. Like @davidwyby said, it's always when I f*ckin' have shit to do. Managed to get grocery shopping done during a 3 hour window of dryness. Good times.

I had to reschedule my eye appointment today because I was too nauseous this morning from my disability to make it, which really sucked. But I rescheduled for a time much later ine day on Friday, so I'll have time to hopefully address any nausea before that appointment. It's always just in the mornings. It's kind of an ordeal. It isn't every morning, thank goodness, but it happens more than enough to reduce my quality of life.

In other news, someone reached out to me on my email address for my channel saying they are willing to provide their editing skills (It's actually a team of three editors apparently) to help improve my channel because of how much they appreciate my content and all of the information I'm sharing with the world. I thought that was really awesome, but I'm not sure I want to relinquish any power to random editors considering how technical the information is and that people's lives quite literally depend upon my accuracy.

But I told this guy that I would give him a call on Friday when he has availability to talk. He sent me a video from his portfolio and it looked super professional. I was thinking maybe I'd have this guy make me an intro and an outro and I'll take care of the in between. It sounds like he doesn't want money and is just willing to do this pro bono. That would be pretty sweet.

Careful with the editors Knotty. It smells a little funny to me. Not sure what the end game is, but I suspect they want something.
Yeah, I'm being very wary of all of this. It it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Thank you for your concerns. Knotty got dis by the balls. I ain't no snowflake spring chicken. Knotty been beating feet around that block since he was 13 years old. =-D

Got up at 3am and headed up to Philadelphia. Now I am sitting in Denver awaiting second flight to California. We’ll have four of our five children and all but one of the grandchildren together this weekend.

Just checked in with Karen - she and another retired science teacher are on their way to the dam near Irwindale. Other birders are reporting seeing vermilion flycatchers there.

I can't stand my neighbors!

Not because they're obnoxious or because I've had negative interactions with them. It's because they all seem to think that they need to have the heat cranked up when it only ever gets as low as the high 40's at night. During the daytime, it's typically between 55-65 degrees. So, why the ever loving f*ck are these people so cold?

"Why do you care?," you may enquire. Well, because my poor, pathetic, shivering neighbors have their heat cranked up to my left, my right, and above me, I am having to exist inside what feels like a sauna. I'm sitting here on my couch right now, doing absolute f*ckall, and I'm sweating continuously. That's NOT normal or healthy.

Meanwhile, I've never once used my heat, my only window in the kitchen is wide open continuously, my ceiling fan is running and sometimes I even have to prop my door open so that I won't suffer a heat stroke. At night, and even as we speak, I have my tower fan blasting air in my direction. The temperature is unbearable and I almost feel like complaining and being "that guy" who goes to management. But they probably won't do shit because people are obviously paying to use heat.

This has happened every winter since I've lived in this apartment and I've been here for three years. It isn't even cold. I walked to the store this morning in 50 degree weather with a long sleeve shirt on. If people are cold, they should put a f*cking second or third layer on. Some people are such pussies! Goddamn!

Life is so unfair! :-(

If it makes you feel better, my house is so small, and my woodstove so oversized that lighting a fire means it goes from 35 up to 85. Not uncommon for it to be 100+ in the house, while it's below freezing outside.

Then I get in to my old Ford, and by the time I make it to the pavement, the heater has me opening the window. I've gotta replace the dash panel in order to be able to turn it off, so it'll be springtime before I worry. It's a Ford, not a race car.

Back