How'd it go today?

Laid out boltholes on that little bridge near the mill ruins. It was a good day. Cloudy and cool. Felt like late fall/winter, the way it should. Fetched 20G of corn free gas for the chipper. Got to try my dented up steel safety can I found on the side of the road. It appears to not leak so far, so that's cool. Looks like noisewall tomorrow. Right on schedule; within 2 days of a rain. I'm sure the mud will be delightful :^S

The Jonsered and the Husky top handle were running when they got put up a few years ago, but couldn't get either one started with about a dozen pulls. Probably bad gas since they've been sitting so long. A pair of non-running 200's might be worth something to someone.

I'm sure the mud will be delightful :^S
It was everything I expected and more. Shitty day. Got back to the office, hadn't had lunch yet, and the telco line was down across the drive. I climbed one of the hemlocks to tie it to the tree. Threw my throwline up, but I was off target. It bounced off a limb, and went through the crotch I was aiming for. Is that a first? I bet it is. Throwline errors never go in my favor :^D Opted to not use a foot ascender, and almost immediately regretted that decision. I was beat from the noisewall, and wasn't feelin' the footlocking. Got up, pulled the line *tight, and hitched it off with a prusik. It all went pretty well.

*I think I pulled it too tight. It was a thin slippery line, so I wanted some tension for the prusik to work with. I used stringline first, with it connected to paracord. I then decided it would abrade through too quickly, and added a paracord prusik to that. Got in the office, and the internet was in and out. Didn't feel like re-climbing after putting everything away, and it's verizon's job anyway. Line wouldn't have been down if they hung it right in the first place. The pole outside the office is a disaster, with coils of wire draped all around it. It needs to be wired right, and all the excess line removed. This has been an ongoing issue. They run line, leave it laying on the ground, it gets dicked up, and they re-run it. Huge waste of time and resources.

It was everything I expected and more. Shitty day. Got back to the office, hadn't had lunch yet, and the telco line was down across the drive. I climbed one of the hemlocks to tie it to the tree. Threw my throwline up, but I was off target. It bounced off a limb, and went through the crotch I was aiming for. Is that a first? I bet it is. Throwline errors never go in my favor :^D Opted to not use a foot ascender, and almost immediately regretted that decision. I was beat from the noisewall, and wasn't feelin' the footlocking. Got up, pulled the line *tight, and hitched it off with a prusik. It all went pretty well.

*I think I pulled it too tight. It was a thin slippery line, so I wanted some tension for the prusik to work with. I used stringline first, with it connected to paracord. I then decided it would abrade through too quickly, and added a paracord prusik to that. Got in the office, and the internet was in and out. Didn't feel like re-climbing after putting everything away, and it's verizon's job anyway. Line wouldn't have been down if they hung it right in the first place. The pole outside the office is a disaster, with coils of wire draped all around it. It needs to be wired right, and all the excess line removed. This has been an ongoing issue. They run line, leave it laying on the ground, it gets dicked up, and they re-run it. Huge waste of time and resources.
Glad you didn’t get too muddy ;)

Verizon leaves a lot to be desired when doing house drops. I could not leave a job looking like they do. Maybe they are overwhelmed.

The inside stuff is atrocious. Nothing is ever removed when taken out of service. After many years, there’s a rats nest of coaxial cables, splitters, boosters, and the like. Very confusing.

When I rebuilt this place before moving in I took Verizon’s old Network Interface Device off the wall and remounted it on the opposite side of the basement. When we then had FiOS installed they ran the line down that side of the house, so now I can have a semi back up the drive as all overhead lines are on the far side of the house.

I may actually get to fly a bucket again tomorrow. Have a removal leaning over power lines to do with the company who took over all my old clients. Hired a guy to bring his bucket and clear the lines. He's a nice guy but not a great tree guy. If I can talk him into letting me fly the bucket I will do it instead. Might even get some pics! Been 3.5 years since I sold off my business and my 2 bucket trucks, I miss it.

Took a ride down to the valley today for a final store run before Christmas. Just curious since I always tell people you about need hearing protection to ride in my truck. So I stuck this on my phone to see how loud. Cruising (ave) is not too bad. Its the acceleration that gets a little much. What did you say babe????

Screenshot_20231220_142945_Sound Meter.jpg

Last edited:
Took a ride down to the valley today for a final store run before Christmas. Just curious since I always tell people you about need hearing protection to ride in my truck. So I stuck this on my phone to see how loud. Cruzing (ave) is not too bad. Its the acceleration that gets a little much. What did you say babe????

View attachment 134686
Google says, "Sounds at or below 70 A-weighted decibels (dBA) are generally safe." Sooooo, there's that haha Loud truck to be certain.

Currently now in Massachusetts with my parents and my dog! I had forgotten how amazing warm Labrador ears feel on a blustery winter morning! I'll take Harry Winston for a long walk later today probably. There is a wildlife preserve/bird sanctuary adjacent to my parent's property. I used to do a lot of wildlife photography in there. It's nice to hear birds that aren't native to Arizona again. Already saw several wild turkeys gobbling around the road like they owned the place. Such strange birds they are. Ever see one of them fly? Never knew they could until my dog chased one high up into a tree a few years ago. They can only do it for short distances. =-D

Currently now in Massachusetts with my parents and my dog! I had forgotten how amazing warm Labrador ears feel on a blustery winter morning! I'll take Harry Winston for a long walk later today probably. There is a wildlife preserve/bird sanctuary adjacent to my parent's property. I used to do a lot of wildlife photography in there. It's nice to hear birds that aren't native to Arizona again. Already saw several wild turkeys gobbling around the road like they owned the place. Such strange birds they are. Ever see one of them fly? Never knew they could until my dog chased one high up into a tree a few years ago. They can only do it for short distances. =-D
Lots of turkey up on the Rim. I've been responsible for affecting populations in the past, but I've put that behind me lolz. Enjoy mass. and your family.

I hear that clatter and feel that shake even after all these years 🤣

Even so, those two trucks with the 7.3l engines were the best, hardest-working haulers I owned!

I used to think that til i got my 6.7, now granted it's a dually while my 7.3 was only a 250. That thing has so much power its insane. 32k rated towing on a 5th wheel, feels like riding a lazyboy going down the road, and a full 4 door cab so it's got more room than my wife's jeep patriot. When i was running pipeline i had roughly 3k in the bed and you couldn't even tell. Not to mention i don't have to shut it off just to talk to someone :lol:

I hear that clatter and feel that shake even after all these years 🤣

Even so, those two trucks with the 7.3l engines were the best, hardest-working haulers I owned!
I had a 6.9L IDI for years. No turbo, and a 5:88 rear axle, with a spool. It wouldn't go fast, but it never noticed a load, or a hill, or a load on a hill. Just 45mph and 24mpg all day long. Milage almost doubled running on veggie oil. Best damn work truck I've ever owned. Miss it dearly.

Also, the turkey is native only to North America, isn't a scavenger, and a great many other points pinheads like to bring up. But turkeys are objectively less cool than eagles.

Back