How'd it go today?

It went badly. Really badly. I got betrayed by someone I thought I could trust over effectively nothing.

I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic (although, an alcoholic is an addict) and I really wanted to drink, but I didn't and that's a huge thing for me.

Some of you may not understand; many of you will. I wish I could indulge, but I just can't and I don't care who knows.

#ProgressNotPerfection

It went badly. Really badly. I got betrayed by someone I thought I could trust over effectively nothing.

I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic (although, an alcoholic is an addict) and I really wanted to drink, but I didn't and that's a huge thing for me.

Some of you may not understand; many of you will. I wish I could indulge, but I just can't and I don't care who knows.

#ProgressNotPerfection
If you need to vent, pm me.

Went back to the willow job with Mike, and we gave the chipper a workout. Worked pretty well, and we only ran into one problem where a big piece went sideways between the feed drum and the disc. After a bunch of screwing around, we did what we should have done in the first place, and raised the feedwheel. That required removing the spring mounts, but it wasn't so bad. Haul the drum up, pin it in place, and the stuck piece was easy to free.

Getting close to 6" was pretty squirrely. I wish it could /easily/ handle that size, but I'm happy with the performance. Both me and Mike got more familiar with the machine, and we got rid of a bunch of trash that would have been a hassle to carry as-is. Good day.

#ProgressNotPerfection
Glad you didn’t pick up. Not worth drinking yourself into a blackout, peeing your pants, and coming to the next morning laying half in a bush out front.

Glad you didn’t pick up. Not worth drinking yourself into a blackout, peeing your pants, and coming to the next morning laying half in a bush out front.
Haha, I'm not that vicious of an alcoholic, but I get where you're coming from. And thank you for your support. It means a lot to me. I'm more of the "silently drink myself to death in my apartment without anyone knowing but family" type. But not this Christmas! Nay, I say! This edge is straighter than a razor blade for the New Years! My tolerance is so naturally high that you wouldn't' even know I'm drunk. Unless you smell it of course.

Last edited:
The job went well, but i got news that the wife's mom passed, tomorrow is I had to finish my part of the job because of what it was and how many people we had, thankfully everything went well and it went quick all things considered. Lots of rigging, too bad i can't take pictures to share (or had time to). Drifting over stuff with limited headroom and a super tight area you can barely walk thru, lowered through a hole, drifted and drug over to another hole, and then lifted and aligned for welding, both demo out and new in. We had it planned out good though and it went as well as it could have, horrific echo in the spacious vault tho so communication was almost impossible.

Went back to the willow job with Mike, and we gave the chipper a workout. Worked pretty well, and we only ran into one problem where a big piece went sideways between the feed drum and the disc. After a bunch of screwing around, we did what we should have done in the first place, and raised the feedwheel. That required removing the spring mounts, but it wasn't so bad. Haul the drum up, pin it in place, and the stuck piece was easy to free.

Getting close to 6" was pretty squirrely. I wish it could /easily/ handle that size, but I'm happy with the performance. Both me and Mike got more familiar with the machine, and we got rid of a bunch of trash that would have been a hassle to carry as-is. Good day.
Best bet is to only expect a chipper to perform well with at 1/3-2/3 capacity. It's just how they are designed. Cramming wide branches into a 6" hole takes a lot of force, and can easily exceed 6" when they all bunch together, and chipping a log at the max diameter continuously takes a lot of power. It should perform well if you only put 3-4" stuff in it.

I'm laid up for the holidays.
I have suffered from a painful swelling under my right foot, right at the basal joint of the big toe.
Noit the greatest thing when one is stepping on a planting spade 1000 times a day.
So friday I went under the knife.
When the surgeon asked the nurse to place a diaper under my foot, " to catch all the pus that might spray out!", the fun went right out of that!!!
He managed to extract the abcess in one piece, though.
Bout the size of a Robin's egg, plus an infected mucus sack about the same size.........no effing wonder I have been hurting.
So I'll be spending some time on the couch.

I'm laid up for the holidays.
I have suffered from a painful swelling under my right foot, right at the basal joint of the big toe.
Noit the greatest thing when one is stepping on a planting spade 1000 times a day.
So friday I went under the knife.
When the surgeon asked the nurse to place a diaper under my foot, " to catch all the pus that might spray out!", the fun went right out of that!!!
He managed to extract the abcess in one piece, though.
Bout the size of a Robin's egg, plus an infected mucus sack about the same size.........no effing wonder I have been hurting.
So I'll be spending some time on the couch.
On thé bright side happening during the holidays, so less time lost.

Which happened because I know the surgeon, have been felling trees for him at his large property over the years.
So he stuck me into a pressed scedule, for that reason.
I was just at the clinic to have it looked at today.
He said, if it starts getting red and warm over the holidays, here is my private number, call me and I'll prescribe some more antibiotics.

You know, sometimes being a good treeperson isn't the worst thing :)

It was raining when I got up, so I stayed home today. Got a call from a client's secretary asking if I still did side work. Said he had a couple houses he wanted the corners marked on. I said I couldn't do it cause I didn't have my robot anymore. That was half a lie. I don't have a robot, but I could figure a way around it, even if it meant him running the pole. I think I could train him to keep the bubble in the center :^D Truth is, I just didn't want to do it. I've never liked surveying sidework, and I like it less as I get older. Any sidework I did, I considered it a favor. Got some trees to come down? I'm interested, but I don't want to do the same dumb shit I've been doing forever.

you have my condolences Kyle.

We had a decent day even though I lost my temper with the kid they put on my crew a few weeks ago. He’s not the sharpest and today he was worse than normal. His comm wasn’t charged so he kept getting in real close to talk to any of us and about halfway through the day tells me he’s been feeling like shit since Saturday. Just what I want, a sick guy getting within a few feet of me to talk, right before I’m taking a week off work. If you feel like shit, stay home or at least stay away from people! Hopefully he calls off tomorrow. Other than that the job moved along well. 7 day project that should be done in 5.

@Tree09 Sorry to hear about your wife's mother. That's a tragic loss.

@stig I hope you feel better and recover quickly!

As for me, I'm currently finalizing packing for a trip to visit my family for Christmas in Massachusetts. Can't wait to see my parents and I definitely can't wait to see my dog, Harry Winston, the Christmas Labrador retriever (photo attached)! Can't say I'm excited to spend six hours on a plane in two directions, but that's just how it has to be!

IMG_1609 (1).JPG

Back