How'd it go today?

Back on after about 24 hours of not being able to log in. Withdrawal symptoms are starting to go away. :/:
I just got a 24hr facebook messenger ban so I know how ya feel!

best part, the video I shared was sent to me through messenger a few years ago and the person that sent it wasnt ever banned for it

brakes are annoying! hydraulic work great till they rust out, same with air, I prefer air for easy of working on them and having onboard air for bags or air tools
electric trailer brakes suck, every aftermarket controller ive used sometimes worked, other times the self leveling BS quits working right and locks up your trailer, then the next minute theres no trailer brakes at all

ive bled my fair share of brakes, worst was on a BWM X5, where there isn't enough room to squeeze your head under to see what you're doing, never really a fun job, my last truck had a crushed brake line when I got it, picked it up in the dark and didn't notice till we got home and the rear right drum was almost glowing red, made new lines the next morning and replaced the shoes and drums, took half a day to get that drum off because the lip was so bad on it!

lets not forget about that parking brake that hasnt worked since 2004...
atleast with air you can slide the seat forward and wedge a 2x4 in there to hold the pedal down, if the truck is running it cant leak down like hydraulic will (can also use this technique to bleed hydraulic brakes, Diesel Creek has a video on this)
You seem to have a problem with brakes that is similar to your problem with friction hitches.
:|:

You seem to have a problem with brakes that is similar to your problem with friction hitches.
:|:
I have a lot of problems in life, friction hitches trying to kill me, and brakes slowing me down every time I try and go somehwere, its annoying lol

edit
only an issue with trailer brakes, the controller level sensor kinda has a mind of its own, goes off the brake pedal switch, one minute it starts braking at a 1.5 and the next is a 4.5 or 10 or something, fully loaded my trailer will lock up on around a 3.4-5

I have a lot of problems in life, friction hitches trying to kill me, and brakes slowing me down every time I try and go somehwere, its annoying lol

edit
only an issue with trailer brakes, the controller level sensor kinda has a mind of its own, goes off the brake pedal switch, one minute it starts braking at a 1.5 and the next is a 4.5 or 10 or something, fully loaded my trailer will lock up on around a 3.4-5
I think some controllers detect how fast you hit the brake pedal and automatically increase or decrease the gain regardless of how hard you are pushing the pedal. I like to have the gain manually set low, and I'll squeeze the manual control if I want more at the time.

I think some controllers detect how fast you hit the brake pedal and automatically increase or decrease the gain regardless of how hard you are pushing the pedal. I like to have the gain manually set low, and I'll squeeze the manual control if I want more at the time.
I believe thats how mine is, it just seems backwards, but id have to check to be sure

Yesterday a solo job* dropping an approximate 14 ton (that was the log weight) black oak which had uprooted and fallen into a red oak. They were similarly-sized, having grown up together in this wood lot.

I can no longer do this every day due to arthritic joints, but I do love getting into a technical climb and an interesting bucking situation.

Climbed the red oak and worked the entire black oak crown out, down to the primary pressure point of the black oak log against the trunk of the red oak. Side-notched the black, and started back cut until I heard the first noise of fibers cracking. Left a heavy line in at that point, bailed out and set up a Come-a-long to winch it off. The black didn’t make it all the way to the ground due to the stump hold, so I laid it down with a cut above the root flare.
IMG_8409.jpeg
IMG_8421.jpeg
IMG_8422.jpeg
*(there were folks within earshot and I explained what they should do if they heard a sustained tone from my Fox whistle)

My neighbor Jeff helped move the new lathe into my shop as his tractor has a bit more lift capacity than mine. He had trouble starting it. I looked at his battery - the date it was put into service: Dec 2011 !!!
Twelve years out of a battery is pretty damned good.

I went and bought him a new battery as a thank-you. 575 CCA is pretty good 0*F power out of a little 26R battery.

Yesterday a solo job* dropping an approximate 14 ton (that was the log weight) black oak which had uprooted and fallen into a red oak. They were similarly-sized, having grown up together in this wood lot.

I can no longer do this every day due to arthritic joints, but I do love getting into a technical climb and an interesting bucking situation.

Climbed the red oak and worked the entire black oak crown out, down to the primary pressure point of the black oak log against the trunk of the red oak. Side-notched the black, and started back cut until I heard the first noise of fibers cracking. Left a heavy line in at that point, bailed out and set up a Come-a-long to winch it off. The black didn’t make it all the way to the ground due to the stump hold, so I laid it down with a cut above the root flare.
View attachment 134176
View attachment 134177
View attachment 134178
*(there were folks within earshot and I explained what they should do if they heard a sustained tone from my Fox whistle)
I recognize that one. It’s the one we saw on our last rec climb with Jim? Those pictures don’t do it justice for size if it’s the hangup I remember.

I got my side by side back together last night and it runs ok. Need to get the valves adjusted sometime soon. Now that it’s out of the garage it’s (once again) cleaning day. Everything is coming off the shelves. If I haven’t used it in over a year it’s gone. Well maybe a few special things get to stay. I’ve got till Friday evening to get it done. Birthday party next Saturday and my house is to small to host that many people. Praying for decent weather so hopefully we can enjoy the out doors.
It’s also the last day of gun season here. I’ve heard at least six shots. If they didn’t get a deer, I don’t think they ever will. The overgrown rats are bedding down for sure. I much prefer the bow hunters.

Quick question for everyone. What does everyone do with crane slings that have been removed from service? I’ve got two big boxes of them. We pull them after a years use just for piece of mind. Still good, tags are gone though. I only need so many tow straps.

Quick question for everyone. What does everyone do with crane slings that have been removed from service? I’ve got two big boxes of them. We pull them after a years use just for piece of mind. Still good, tags are gone though. I only need so many tow straps.
rigging slings for blocks and portawraps, etc, I use mine for shop stuff where OSHA cant show up and im likely to cut a sling
technically supposed to destroy them, but IMO if the tag is missing but the sling itself isn't damaged, just don't lift overhead with it

the current sling I use was given to me by a customer, 20ft 6K roundsling, his company does lifts in plants so even a little spec of dirt on the jacket trashes them, dude has a whole shed full of used once slings that are now "trash" according to his company but still perfectly fine according the the MFG

do you run chain slings by any chance? right now i've got the one roundsling and 2 stablebraid balancers with steel biners, thinking of switching over to a 2 leg adjustable chain sling or maybe the Reon Rounds slings

When we remove sling from service, we cut the eyes open so no one can use them again and throw them away. You can also give them to someone if you want if they're still good, or dedicate a few of them to different pieces of equipment that you lift up all the time, like a generator, compactor, welding machine, etc. so you just hook it up rather than fiddling with a strap every time. If you're looking for little projects to utilize them, your imagination is pretty much the limiting factor. You can get a bunch of them and stitch them into a cargo net, stitch them into chairs and hammocks, handles and shoulder straps for buckets and coolers, steps for different things, a rope bridge for the kids, or even a handrail down some steps or icy spots.

IDK what I did to my finger on monday, but ever since it has felt like shit
my right middle finger, doesn't hurt till I bend it, all 3 knuckles get like a pressure it feels like, hurts quite a bit, tried cortizone on it and it did nothing, im thinking I smashed it or jammed it maybe something to do with straining it in the cold, at one point my whole hand was pinkish red because it was so cold, even with "warm" gloves on...

its only my right middle finger, none of the others hurt, its not red or swollen just hurts and feels like I have to strain a little to bend it even tho its bending alright, not quite bad enough for painkillers and I want to feel whats going on with it anyways so im not taking any

anyone experience this? maybe saw related from using the buckets saw scabbard at funky angles doing cut and toss over wires?

edit, it was the kind of cold where I was cold for 3 days straight, I produce very little body heat to begin with, I'm built like a toothpick so I don't retain it either, specially my fingers and toes, doesn't matter what gloves I wear them little piggies are FROZEN after a few minutes in weather below about 40 degrees, as soon as I got off work I came home and took a HOT showed for almost an hour to warm up, water almost as hot as it goes and I couldn't even feel it

Put the kiddos swing set together yesterday, despite convoluted instructions and way too much hardware to keep track of. 20231202_162448.jpg

Waiting on the sun to charge Mt drill battery so I can put the slide together.

Took the girls to our local festival of lights parade. It was short and crowded this year. Then daddy managed to back into an elderly couple's Saturn. Minimal damage to the Saturn, Gertrude never noticed. 20231202_184201.jpg 20231202_184205.jpg

The hitch poked a hole in the bumper, and my rear bumper seems to have tweaked the hood or the plastic grill piece. Hopefully our insurance rates don't climb too much, it's the first woopsiedoodle in 15 years.

unless it has to do with reversing an automobile :D

to be fair, I did back into a tree once, like straight into the thing, I got the story if ya'll want it LOL
From the kid who's had his license what? 2 years? This is the first time I've had an insurance claim IN YOUR LIFETIME.

Keep those kinds of opinions to yourself, people will like you more.

Back