How'd it go today?

Yeah, about had enough of it.
Finally thought I was getting a bit of a break after only working 2-3 days a week, struggling to pay bills. Running Katy to her weekly appointments/treatments, homeschooling Lilly and occassionally helping mom and dad with stuff. Wracked up a hella fuel bill running to the valley 3 plus times a week. One hour plus each way.
Now getting 4 plus days a week with out having so much commute time was feeling better till all this.
Oh well. What dont kill me makes me stronger.

I was looking in my files for a 1.5 y o estimate, never found it which caused issues but whatev. Figured I had tossed it out with loads of other estimate for missed jobs.

Yesterday was building a fire in the wood stove using a pile of age-old estimates, crumple them up and toss them in to get the kindling burning. A single one fell out of the pile in my hands, I was shocked to see it was the estimate I'd been searching for. :rockhard:

Of course, it is possible my wedding band will turn up in an unexpected way. I have no way of knowing when and where I lost it. Just because I think I'd notice fairly quickly that it was absent from my finger does not mean that is so. There are an unending number of places it might have slipped off...just because we were on our walk when I became aware does not mean it was lost on that walk.

Nonetheless, we walked our route slowly and scanned carefully again today...that's 4 times the ground has been covered, by two sets of eyes. No joy. I'm not going to try a metal detector...it's just too much ground to try to cover, and there would be too many false positives to make any headway at all.

All of which is discouraging. But I thank you for your sympathy and ideas.

In the end, it's just a thing. I'll survive, and we'll replace it eventually...but I'll give it a while to show itself first :).

Of course, it is possible my wedding band will turn up in an unexpected way. I have no way of knowing when and where I lost it. Just because I think I'd notice fairly quickly that it was absent from my finger does not mean that is so. There are an unending number of places it might have slipped off...just because we were on our walk when I became aware does not mean it was lost on that walk.

Nonetheless, we walked our route slowly and scanned carefully again today...that's 4 times the ground has been covered, by two sets of eyes. No joy. I'm not going to try a metal detector...it's just too much ground to try to cover, and there would be too many false positives to make any headway at all.

All of which is discouraging. But I thank you for your sympathy and ideas.

In the end, it's just a thing. I'll survive, and we'll replace it eventually...but I'll give it a while to show itself first :).
Come to think of it…….. buy a really expensive ring that cannot be returned as well as say out loud “I’ll never find our sentimental wedding band” This can trick the “system” into giving it back to you.

Mine was like $20 from Amazon, I'm a classy broad :lol: All jokes aside it's actually really nice, tungsten, black, and although i only wear it when I'm not doing anything resembling work i imagine is very very durable. The wife's ring was a couple orders of magnitude more expensive obviously! I really hope you find it, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have 2? I'm not sure how expensive you would go, style, etc, but if you're more like me in that regard i couldn't imagine a better option than a simple tungsten one, so that way you can replace the ring for now and if you find your good one you can wear the less sentimental replacement one when doing stuff where losing or damaging it would be more likely. And since wearing a ring is very important to you that would quickly solve the problem while you're looking, i imagine the naked hand makes everything seem off after wearing one for that long. Just an idea, i was amazed when i bought mine that they were that affordable and actually very nice. If you don't know your size they sell the sizing rings cheap too.

Katy did not wear a ring for years. Now she does since she has an office job.
I about lost a finger to a ring back in 79 or 80. Never wore one again since I work with my hands so much. Tried dressy man ring when out on the town back in the day, single and such, just got tired of the on and off. Lost one one time. I would have hated to lose a wedding ring.

Lol then why would you be wearing a ring?
if/when I do get married, I wouldnt plan to wear one
nobody in my family does, im not going to

I got a while before I even think about marrying anyone, im to messed up mentally to handle that responsibility and care for someone at the moment

I didn't lost my wedding ring, it's more like I lost track of it.
At first, I took it off when I did some work at home to not damage it. Concrete, stones, chisel, even the tool's handles aren't kind to the polished surface. It was the same in the country during the holidays. It was on and off my finger for years. Then it just stayed quite a long time on the tablet in the bathroom. I didn't want to bring it in the trees with the cutting risks and all the friction management. One day, I realized that the ring wasn't here anymore, but I had no idea of how long it went out of sight. Well, my sight at least, because I bet that my wife knows exactly where it is. I didn't ask by fear of harvesting some acerbic remark about the lack of care and concern about the real important things like the various anniversaries and the family's datas. That will come back at me later, I'm sure, with the interests !:D

Helped Mike remove a couple Chinese dogwoods...
IMG_20231111_102313298_HDR.jpg

They could've been done with polesaws, but climbing's more fun, right? Property was really nice. Nothing super fantabulous or extravagant, but it's what I'd like looking at every day. Mid century modern, with lots of trees, and lots of decking with seating to admire them. The woodwork needs work, but that's just details. It's a nice spot on the planet. It was a fine cool day. Well... except for my 2511. I took the rakers down too low, and it's a huge hassle to use. Throws beaver chips, makes some god awful looking cuts, and bites in and stalls. I'm trying to tough it out hoping it gets better as I sharpen it, but it really isn't fun to use atm.

In one of these threads (this one or maybe Work Pics thread), short seasonal jobs were discussed. Here is a link to one such job/industry.

A month ago I met a lifeguard in FL (where lifeguarding can be a viable career choice) who spent 2 years traveling around the world via temporary jobs in various countries doing mostly farm work in return for room and board and some pay, as a means to explore the world. It sounded like an amazing foray, and one of the highlights was renting a diesel Toyota pick up truck in Namibia and going on a 2.5 week unguided wilderness safari where he and his GF saw basically every possible jungle animal and no people.

One of the list items that caused my cut last week. Chain too aggressive. Needed to just touch the teeth about 6-8 strokes and that little jump from the saw would have been minimized.
That is something I have always done every time I had an injury or close call. I would mull it over and over in my mind for several days analyzing the situation and figuring out all the possible causes and solutions to what caused the accident. I think some may call it 'learning from your mistakes'. I have made a shit ton of mistakes and have learned lots of valuable lessons from many of them. But my ego still gets in the way telling me I already know better often enough that I still make more mistakes.

My old Morbark chipper finally sold at the auction today. The first two monthly auctions, I had a $10,000 reserve on it, and the high bids were $7,500 and $7,400 each month. This particular auction does not allow a reserve on the third month, so I was worried it would not bring any more than $7,500 this time. I was pleasantly surprised when it sold for over $20,000!

Back