How'd it go today?

Looking on craigslist to see if there's anything interesting, and this beauty was there...

00t0t_b7D7wZkeb1N_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Someone's also selling a reel of Carlton for $350. Not a bad price. I really shouldn't be going on craigslist. I'll end up with stuff I don't need :^D

My day started out nicely, good weather, and we got a couple of necessary errands run in town and then back home. M and I headed off on our normal 4 mile walk after lunch.

3 miles in, I noticed my wedding band was not on my finger. We backtracked the whole route, but it was like looking for a needle in a huge field of haystacks. And there's no way to know when it slipped off my finger. Scoured the house, car, yard. Called the couple of places in town we spent time in. No luck.

I expect it is gone for good. I've worn that ring for over 45 years, and it was M's grandmother's wedding ring that we had a friend re-size for me all those years ago.

I am with sadz, as Butch was wont to say from time to time.

Thought about it, but it's just too much ground to cover. Plus, a lot of it is rural roadside shoulder. I'd get hits on a million tidbits of trash metal per mile.

That sucks Burnham. I was gonna suggest a metal detector too, but without being able to narrow it down, it doesn't make the haystack much smaller. Maybe try calming your head, and think about /likely/ places it could have fallen off; times you may have done something unusual with your hands making it more likely to fall, or perhaps a time your hands were especially cold, and wouldn't feel it coming off.

You think like we do on this...been through all those potentials, concentrated the search in areas of particular note we came up with. But the area is just huge, and plenty of dense, low ground cover. If I actually lost it outdoors, the chances are infinitesimal. We'll keep looking in the house and car, and I'll call those places again, but I'm fairly well settled on it being a never to be found thing.

M is more optimistic, but then that's her default setting. I guess hope is good...but I don't see it in this case.

A big session at the dentist. Big as 4 usual ones tied together.
I delayed the visit at the dentist for years. Actually the covid cut me short in my tracks to repair the first damaged tooth, a molar crumbling by a old repaired cavity starting again. Then more cavities added progressively, a lot of pain when each went worse, deep infections too. But I kept going, manhandling that like an idiot. Now, it's catastrophic, 9 teeth involved, ranging from the tiny discreet cavity ( just one like that) to the teeth totally destroyed with the bone severely excavated. Maybe it should be wise to do something...

But the dentist was classified as the least favorite thing to do for quite a long time. Until recently, when a relatively new decayed tooth pushed an infection deep into the bone, messing up the maxillary nerve and sending some nasty stuff inside the body's main stream, fever, heart pumping hard with no reason, short flu-like symptoms... It isn't a legend to scare the kinds, it can happen, I tell you.
So I switched the dentist's classification from evil (mostly unjustified I recon) to savior !
First, some antibiotic began to clean the mess (not finished yet, I'll have an other shot). Then, the hard work. Four teeth drilled and devitalized. Well, 3 of them were already completely dead, so that went almost smoothly. One was still alive and that was less fun. The bad part was the extraction of two molars, or rather what was left of them. Anesthesia yes, still painful. But I was not done yet. Under these two molars was a clump of cyst, infected of course. The dentist had to dig out all the nasty stuff to the genuine bone. That was really bad. I can't imagine what it would be with no anesthesia.
Now it's repair time before rebuild. Tough, an other molar has to go out, next time maybe. Not too happy about it, but it has to be done.
Im really sorry to hear about your teeth issues. It’s not any fun.

I do what you do though. No dentist for years, wait until something goes way wrong, spend 5 sessions with the dentist, repeat. 🤷‍♂️

I’m really sorry to hear about your ring @Burnham. It makes you sick trying to find it. I’ve lost mine twice but luckily recovered it. I know how you’re feeling. Sucks.

People used to put “lost and found” ads in the paper. Maybe there’s a modern equivalent?

My dad is going for a triple bypass tomorrow morning. He fell trimming the hedges and when they checked him out they noticed buildup on the MRI. That fall may have saved his life. He’s in his late 70s and takes care of himself but has some problems as most folks his age do. Our 3 kids spoke to him on the phone just a bit ago and started crying when they hung up. Prayers requested please!

I’m really sorry to hear about your ring @Burnham. It makes you sick trying to find it. I’ve lost mine twice but luckily recovered it. I know how you’re feeling. Sucks.

People used to put “lost and found” ads in the paper. Maybe there’s a modern equivalent?
Wonder if the "Coyote Times" has a section for that? :) Odds are it's out in the brush somewhere, I fear.

Last edited:
Am i the only guy that doesn't wear one normally? I have one that I'll wear on occasion in public, but since everything i do rings are a hazard i rarely wear it.

Burnham,
Even though it’s a chance in a million (trillion?), a good metal detector is worth the time. You might put an advert up for someone who has one. Locally we have a woman who will gladly spend hours looking with the agreement she can keep other items she might find. She found a really old coin at one search site.

Our second oldest Heather and her husband Dylan were visiting our third oldest Seth and his wife Ariane in San Gregorio and Dylan lost his ring while playing in the creek with the children. Five months later Ariane again had their two at the creek, and a hint of metal caught her eye. Dylan again had his wedding band.

About 20 years ago, I somehow lost my wedding ring, which I never ever took off of my finger. A couple weeks later, my dad and I were on a job installing rods and cables in a huge oak tree. As I sat on the grass in this customer's back yard, wrapping dead ends on the cables, something caught my eye. It was my wedding ring lying in the grass! Apparently, it had slipped off two weeks prior while I was doing the bid. Crazy weird and hard to believe.

Well, just an update. Been a week.
I had to drive my parents Tuesday to Fresno so my dad could get a pacemaker put in and then an ablation. Procedure was late in the day. Hospital closes up to the public at 8PM. Procedure was done at 5 for the pace maker. All went well but we did not hit home until about 10:30 that night. Mom a little earlier, but I still have my 45 minutes home from her place.
So mom was going to just drive down there Wed. for the next thing. But she can't drive at night. Why I took her in the first place.
Well, mom was certain she was going to bring my dad home that day, completely dismissing what the Dr had said the day before about bringing him home more likely Thursday. The ablation did not even get done till 4 PM. My mom being told he would be done before sunset as she was reminding them she could not drive in the dark. Well, sun is setting not long after 5. Mom was still convinced my Dad was going to be released before sunset. And I get the call. Told her I would send Levi to come get her, leave her truck there and she could just go in the morning with him when he goes to school down there.
Then Levi calls me, confused saying grandma says he has to bring both back. His little car (Honda) is real hard for older folks to get in and out of. One elderly is no biggie. She won't let him drive the truck and leave his car. But asking him to do two? Not a good plan. So I had him take me down there (better part of two hours after working all day) and he had already been down there for school earlier. Mom still insisting my dad was going to be released. Can't get a hold of the doctor to verify. Get down there, Mom sitting in their truck alone in the loading zone. Nope, dad out tomorrow. We had this discussion the day before because she has a dentist appointment Thursday. So she has to be down there anyway and won't cancel her dentist in case she can do both. We get home a little earlier than the night before, but only about an hour. I'm whooped, Levi Whooped, Grandma whooped.
Rob asked me and Frank asked me if I would be ok to even work Thursday on a rig down from over a roof. Kind of tree you have to about start cutting from the roof once you crawl in as it's that close. No high rigging or tie in. I say yes, so long as I do not need to go to Fresno AGAIN. Know in morning.
Well, guess I should have taken the day off. Positioning nightmare on a flat canopy trying to make awkward cuts and drift pieces out. Saving some of the tree, gaff-less.
Can't seem to tie in anywhere you can position yourself better for cutting and all was going well until an hour or so in.
Cut to pitch and the saw kicked a bit throwing me off balance and I set my wrist and arm into it. Saw was on the down cycle, grabbed my sleeve back and promptly sliced my forearm near the wrist. Immediately I compress the wound hoping I did not cut anything major. Got my footing and took the peek. Bad cut, but nothing major hit. No veins, arteries or tendon, Meat and skin. Damn sharp chain. hardly chewed me up. Almost appeared as a knife wound. Pretty damn clean. So, self rescue no clotter. Just wrapped pressure. SRT.
Boys were on the First Aid kit pronto before I even hit the ground. HO comes out hearing everything stop. Offered to drive me to hospital. I refused saying this was more embarrassing than serious. All bandaged up, bleeding stopped, full use of hand, driving no problem.
All wrapped up, our local country doctor, just up the road, has in the past offered stitching up jobs for the kiddos. I called him, left a msg and headed over. No one in.
Mulled it over.
Last time I got stitched up from our little local hospital, I ended up with an infection they thought, might have possibly got in the bone. Pumped me full of antibiotics and shipped me off to Stanford Hospital (great place BTW, Top Notch!) for more testing and treatment.
SO on my birthday weekend, I got to wrack up about 50,000.00 worth of hospital care present just for me. About swore I would never have them stitch me up again. Not the only one to experience this BTW.
Stopped by Katys work, recruited her, picked up any necessary supplies at the pharmacy, and she played nurse/doc.
So it's all butterflied up, wrapped, disinfected etc. I have plenty of antibiotics on hand. Have a msg in with my doc to prescribe more. In case.
Few ibuprofen and I could sleep last night. pretty much semi immobilized, so no tearing or pulling. Probably be fine.
Friggen cardinal sin. Damn it all. Getting old, tired and stubborn. SO let me be a lesson to you. That could have been a lot worse.
I have been burning the candle at too many ends. SO I will be taking better part of the week off, getting some rest save for errands and consults.
Did I mention I had to kitteh rescues after a pollard before I rescued mom? Yeah, plain tired.
Oh, and I broke my large dump trailer. Well, the weld on the side that holds the door broke. I was hauling the pollard clippings to Katys goats. Tad rough in the back pasture.

Last edited:
Back