How'd it go today?

Locust is very fast, especially for a hardwood. I have one that started ~15 years ago, and it's ~40' tall. They're EOL at 70 years. Doesn't have to be one thing anyway. If locust will grow there, that would be the premium wood. It could mixed in with something that grows faster, but I'm not sure what grows fast at Jim's. Pretty harsh environment.

Sucks. Looks like a water pump possibly? Radiator or hose leaks are more towards the front of the engine.
Looks like a hose going into the top of the water pump, ran all morning with leaking a drop

May have something so do with me slamming the bucket into it on accident but I doubt it

Hope it isn't the pump, money I'd rather not spend, did just get a call that we got the land clearing job so there's about 7k once they get a survey done, should be next week

Locust is very fast, especially for a hardwood. I have one that started ~15 years ago, and it's ~40' tall. They're EOL at 70 years. Doesn't have to be one thing anyway. If locust will grow there, that would be the premium wood. It could mixed in with something that grows faster, but I'm not sure what grows fast at Jim's. Pretty harsh environment.
Girth is more important. I don't know why Black locust does so bad around here. I haven't noticed any new ones, just a bunch of dying ones. Similar story with Honey locust too.

Boss texted me and said he had stuff to do tomorrow morning, and that he wanted to get the big dead oak by his horses down when he gets back at ~10. I'm assuming he means he's gonna help with the skidloader, cause I'm not doing it otherwise. He keeps pestering me about it, and I said the only way I'd do is with the skid. If I had working 4x4 in the truck, then /maybe/ when it's been real dry, but the ground's too soft, and the truck's too light for my comfort. By the time I found out it wasn't enough, I'd be good and frigged. It's got a moderate lean over the fence and stall, and I don't trust it banging wedges. It's been steadily dropping limbs since I mentioned it to him a couple years ago. Should be interesting.

I think I have a fungal infection on my ass D^: After sitting on the wet ground yesterday, I felt a sore patch on my ass. I figured it was just chapped or something. Finally looked at it this morning, and it's all red and purple. Put some tea tree oil on it, and I'll see if that does something. Doesn't hurt as bad as it looks, but it still hurts.

Took down three trees on the farm. Mistakes were made, but everything worked out.

The tree by the horses was smaller than I remembered; ~23". Made the backcut a little too high, and I thought it set back on my bar, so I had the boss pull a little. Turned out I just drove the wedge too far and locked the bar :^D Finished the backcut, pulled, and it went where it was supposed to.
IMG_20231018_114814702_HDR.jpg

Second tree I should have inspected better. Tried to set a line on a 6" stub, broke it off, and said "Screw it, I'll wedge it over". Cut the face, and there was nothing there. Center was gone, and the outside rotten. Set a line a little higher on a 8" stub, and pulled it over. A better inspection would have said cripple it and pull I think.
IMG_20231018_114748806_HDR.jpg
Third tree had a hard lean towards some trees, and I set it up to pull across my milling setup out of convenience. I didn't think it would go without pulling, but I almost finished the backcut when it started to go. Split the difference between the natural direction and where I faced it, putting it in the perfect spot. Missed the trees and my milling setup. This was the biggest @ 28".
IMG_20231018_114703230_HDR.jpg

gotta love when you are really good friends with your employees/subcontractors
my stump guy (also ground guy when needed) just texted me "hey you want to buy my 1911?"

also he will text about once a month asking if I got my old fourwheeler running again, he wants to go ride
I should go work on it and get it going again, slow season is starting and im getting bored

Took down three trees on the farm. Mistakes were made, but everything worked out.

The tree by the horses was smaller than I remembered; ~23". Made the backcut a little too high, and I thought it set back on my bar, so I had the boss pull a little. Turned out I just drove the wedge too far and locked the bar :^D Finished the backcut, pulled, and it went where it was supposed to.
View attachment 132868

Second tree I should have inspected better. Tried to set a line on a 6" stub, broke it off, and said "Screw it, I'll wedge it over". Cut the face, and there was nothing there. Center was gone, and the outside rotten. Set a line a little higher on a 8" stub, and pulled it over. A better inspection would have said cripple it and pull I think.
View attachment 132869
Third tree had a hard lean towards some trees, and I set it up to pull across my milling setup out of convenience. I didn't think it would go without pulling, but I almost finished the backcut when it started to go. Split the difference between the natural direction and where I faced it, putting it in the perfect spot. Missed the trees and my milling setup. This was the biggest @ 28".
View attachment 132870
I love how pretty much everyone on here is one hundred percent transparent about both their successes and their failures. Nobody is grandstanding or trying to seem like the perfect tree guy or arborist. I think everyone (and obviously you are, @lxskllr) is honest about their experiences because, more often than not, someone else on here will have valuable insights. By humbling yourself about your failures on this forum, you open up yourself to potentially learning a better method or to finding a solution to a problem. Finally, by simply even admitting mistakes, you are at least twice as likely to enact changes to yourself and your technique. This may seem kind of obvious, but I think everyone here deserves credit in this regard and I thijnk it really makes this forum special. It's a pretty closely knit community where people apparently don't feeel judged. Just saying. Carry on.

Last edited:
Time for all new hoses right now while you are working on it, so there's less chance of downtime later.
thats what I did with the hydraulic hoses, every hydraulic hose on the machine is new

both main radiator hoses seem to be new as of like 2 or 3 years ago, still very soft and flexible, the hose that blew used to be a soft line, it has since hardened to the point even a slight flex cracks it, the others can be squished down all the way and pop back out just like a new one off the shelf would

wasnt too sure how long it was gonna take to get a hose (scheduling wise) and so I had to put the flapper back on (which needs replaced anyways) just incase it rained
no wonder its so quiet in my videos, look how long the exhaust pipe is, needs to be shorter and bigger diameter!

joking aside, it really helps to pull the top off for access, only issue is its kinda heavy and like 20 something bolts, just used the excavator and some slings to lift it on and off, worked out good
1697668481921.png

Got a new spring for the poulan, and it bent out again. Not sure exactly what the problem is. I got it running once by holding the cover in place, starting it, then removing the cover. That turd of a saw had trouble milling an 8" piece of wood. I'm done with it. $5 is my limit for spending money on that saw, and I've already wasted too much time. My last attempt whenever I get to it will be trying to start it with an impact driver. If that works, I can work with that. I was gonna make that saw my edge mill saw, cause the clamp bolts thrash the bar, and I don't care about that saw. Starting it with a driver won't be too egregious a burden in a milling scenario.

The gaz central heater of the house dumped its water on the basement's floor. It's working all year long, but it chooses when the temp is dropping seriously to begin a strike. I didn't find yet a clue for the leak's origine. I hope a faulty union, but it could as well be corrosion of the steel body, maybe around 25 years old. I'll try to pressurize it tomorrow to see something.
That isn't welcomed in my schedule.

my eye is kinda burning now, I should go get a shower, turns out the golden one wasnt as fun as ive been told it was

can you get pink eye from rabbit urine? asking for a friend

How does a rabbit fling piss?!

Worked on the noisewall today setting marks for posts. The majority of them took 8 shots per post. First get the board that keeps people from falling in the hole off. Then take a rough shot to get close, measure, cut a hole in the filter cloth covering the top, then get a precise mark. Do that three more times, replace the board, and walk 16' to the next one. Kicked my ass.

Spent a lot of time on my ass on damp ground. I haven't looked yet, but my sore ass is now peeling. The carbolic soap and tea tree oil doesn't seem to help. I guess I'll try anti fungal cream tomorrow :^(

just got a call from another local guy i work with, had a little thing over a month ago about scheduling and me being left on read, clearly he wasnt happy about something

well guess what? he just called me asking if im busy next week, got more work he wants me to help with

no clue why he quit replying to me for over a month, all I did was ask what days he was available for a job but oh well

Went to dump. Did too much today. Gonna go eat Punjabi food and complain. Not about my buttered chicken, but about my ribs lolz!

Flushcut, I know you're a dot not a feather (as you're so quick to point out) send me y'all's recipe!

I accidentally took two days of medicine this morning. Took my daily pills and then an hour later I forgot and took another daily dose, thinking today was Friday. Then later on the job I was getting light headed and dizzy. I made it through ok but I really hate getting old and dependent on daily pills to keep me functioning correctly.

Back