How'd it go today?

Wow! Glad you've been doing well. What mechanism does the drug act on?
The miracle drug is called gabapentin (name brand is Neurontin). It is a GABA-ergic drug, meaning it works on the inhibitory neurotransmitter Gamma Amino Butyric Acid which exists naturally within all of our brains. The belief is that currently unidentified excitatory neurotransmitters spontaneously generate a storm within my brain which directly influences my gastrointestinal tract, resulting in Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome. By simply taking gabapentin every single day at experimental dosages (just below the FDA approved cut off), the medication generates a constant influx of GABA, which is sitting there in my brain always prepared to subdue any excitatory storming, thereby eliminating any episodes of CVS.

As an added benefit, gabapentin has many...benefits...(I hate using the same word twice) for individuals who suffer from mental illness and specifically helps greatly with anxiety. After getting on the gabapentin, my confidence levels increased significantly and my social anxiety also was reduced dramatically. Lastly, it has greatly improved my overall mood and energy levels. So yeah, I honestly consider this drug a miracle substance. It also has countless other established use cases such as for pain and neuropathy. It also is easily metabolized, meaning that even though my dose is very high, it isn't taking any significant toll on my liver.

Last edited:
Chainsaw it into blocks, no splitting, stacks well except for slippery smooth sides. That way you can get the max thickness that fits in the stove with each piece. Thickness = burn time, not so much length or number of pieces. Sugar maple is worth it. It will burn one chunk at a time on a good bed of coals. Most other wood just smolders unless there's 1 or 2 more pieces in with it.

View attachment 132774
Some day I’ll have time to do things like that. I actually want to make charcoal out of those kind of pieces but don’t have the time.

Fire is going for day three. Pretty much down to the outside logs. I’ve got them pushed together now. If I get around to stacking firewood today I’ll toss the scraps in the fire.

My burn barrel's still going, and it rained off and on all day yesterday, and heavy last night. I thought I was gonna have charcoal to deal with, but it's looking like it'll all turn to fluff, and be easy to spread in the yard.

im planning to work on an incinerator eventually, big electric or diesel blower in the bottom, front/top with a door that rolls open and closed to feed it, maybe some slider tray where I can use the mini ex to drop brush/logs on it and let them slide into the fire, keeping my machine away from the heat and less risk of a fireball if I blow a hydro hose

needs something under it to contain ash and coal, thinking maybe use a dumpster or similar that I can pull/push with the ex and flip over to dump it, something that I have no F's to give if it gets dents or scratches

I've found that it isn't hard to get rid of tree removals in a regular burn pile. Just stay on top of it. The ash can be pushed into a hill when it burns out. I got good at using a dangle style grapple on a mini skid to throw logs and chunks up on a burn pile higher than the machine could reach.

One time I lit it during a bit of a dry spell, low wind, maybe rain was supposed to come later or something. Anyway, it was dry, and we were just outside of burn ban limits, and I felt confident we could safely burn in our area. I light the pile, but there's lots of piles near it that needed moving, but the mini was with the boss. he was going to bring it to the jobsite, I tell him to check the fire on the way and move the piles into it since it is on the way and less than 5min away. He said he would, but didn't of course. So, I go back to check, and half the lot is on fire. I almost thought I'd have to call in a fire truck, but I gave running jugs and a wheel barrow full of water 100+ft from the tap to put out the log piles a try, and eventually put enough of it out.

Last edited:
I cant really do open burns here without getting fines or jail time :(
especially commercial like im doing, im not supposed to bring trash home from jobs and burn it, I can burn all I want on the property the trash brush and logs came from tho (enclosed incinerator would probably be fine, no permits required either)

also not a fan of having a machine over/near a burn pile, ive blown about 10 too many hydraulic lines to trust them near fire

local tree service had a MASSIVE pile of logs, chips and brush in the back lot, maybe 60ft tall covering 2 acres or so, it went up a few months ago, either spontaneous or probably someone threw a cigarette into it
the fire was pretty warm, first thing I said was start moving anything that can be moved as far away as possible (preferably a parkinglot across the street) and watch it burn

no amount of local volunteer firefighters are putting out a pile that big

Blount county doesnt care much (where I live)

City of Maryville (Blount county also) doesnt allow piles over 3ft diameter within 50ft of anything and fire marshal has to sign off on it before issuing a permit)
Knox county I think allows burning but city of knoxville doesnt allow any form of outdoor burn piles no matter the size

my local mulch yard is $100 to dump my 7x14 dump trailer full of logs and brush no matter how full

Ask farmers, gardeners, and mushroom growers if they want chips. Some people want it for fill. Turn everything else into firewood.
we use getchipdrop.com and dump for free all the time
I dont do firewood, no money in it here and lots of time involved since over half the wood we have here has so many knots in it that its not worth splitting
that being said, ive got a guy that sells firewood that I just give logs to, but sometimes especially mid summer he just doesnt have the room so I have to go to the landfill or mulch yard

Chainsaw and sharp splitter knives with lots of hydro muscle behind it will split it. I've often pre cut part way some huge straight grained rounds because the splitter I was using was wimpy. I'da built one with 2 rams and a 3 stage pump, and keep the second ram on standby until more force is needed.

Chainsaw and sharp splitter knives with lots of hydro muscle behind it will split it. I've often pre cut part way some huge straight grained rounds because the splitter I was using was wimpy. I'da built one with 2 rams and a 3 stage pump, and keep the second ram on standby until more force is needed.
im gonna build a big splitter one day, when I part out my bucket truck boom ive got a big like 6" x 44" cylinder I can use for it too, with a valve bank to run it and cylinders for a log lifter setup
valve in my splitter spat seals out last week, I need to pull the valve apart and order seals or replace the valve

we use getchipdrop.com and dump for free all the time
I dont do firewood, no money in it here and lots of time involved since over half the wood we have here has so many knots in it that its not worth splitting
that being said, ive got a guy that sells firewood that I just give logs to, but sometimes especially mid summer he just doesnt have the room so I have to go to the landfill or mulch yard
Same here. ChipDrop is awesome.

Finally getting my dust collection system set up.

Also, spun up a few spare chains for this week’s jobs. Finished another 100 ft roll of chain, and might not buy another… contemplating just selling most of my gear and actually retiring!!!??!!

Nah!!! Still too much fun to be had in the trees!

I did just sell this workbench that I was making up chains on, along with a few other pieces to make room for the woodturning machinery I am buying from my mentor. This workbench weighs almost 400 pounds. Fellow asked if we could ‘slide it in the back of his Honda Ridgeline’ 🤣
I suggested he bring a trailer.

IMG_7086.jpeg

IMG_7427.jpeg

IMG_7428.jpeg

IMG_7423.jpeg

Quick pic of the first nine pieces I’ve made in ornamental turning sessions:
IMG_7324.jpeg

Last edited:
I just moved a whole trailer load of logs off a stack and into my driveway for my firewood guy to pick up, about 5 ton of maple under a low hanging limb, just a tight spot and on asphalt/grass and its wet so it took a while to not tear up my driveway or tree

get it all moved, spent like half an hour on it freezing my toes off, then I get a text saying "im not bringing my trailer, landlord dumped a bunch of brush infront of it and I cant move it"
I have a feeling hes trying to get that free delivery like last time, which aint gonna happen

so, I havent even had my coffee yet and already off to a bad start, I did tell him its going to be gone before 2pm today because im busy but I doubt that happens, dudes been begging me for this maple all year too

it did only cost me some diesel and my time, BUT it gets under my skin when people schedule stuff with me and then cant keep the schedule
I have it happen with jobs a lot, had one lady early in the year ask for a job, then got a quote from another big company with a spider lift and said no to them, told me to schedule it, then a day before I show up she re-scheduled and said "we still want it done but maybe next month"

never have heard back, its been 3 months

Tell your firewood guy to load the brush on the trailer. He can stop at the dump on the way to your place to pickup the logs.

That's why I'm here; to solve the big problems :^P
he said he cant move it by hand

im fixin to tell him to grab a chain, hook it to the brush and to the truck and giver

Finally getting my dust collection system set up.

Also, spun up a few spare chains for this week’s jobs. Finished another 100 ft roll of chain, and might not buy another… contemplating just selling most of my gear and actually retiring!!!??!!

Nah!!! Still too much fun to be had in the trees!

I did just sell this workbench that I was making up chains on, along with a few other pieces to make room for the woodturning machinery I am buying from my mentor. This workbench weighs almost 400 pounds. Fellow asked if we could ‘slide it in the back of his Honda Ridgeline’ 🤣
I suggested he bring a trailer.

View attachment 132801

View attachment 132797

View attachment 132798

View attachment 132799

Quick pic of the first nine pieces I’ve made in ornamental turning sessions:
View attachment 132800
Wow! You actually still use one of the oldest types of holdfast clamps known to man. Those simple "hook in hole" clamps date back to the 1st century AD and are simple and easy to use. I'm impressed! Way to keep the best parts of history alive and kicking!

Tell him you are in the brush hauling off biz. And maybe post and ad on CL or FB to sell or give away those logs to whoever will come?
so basically, he stores his trailer at a woodyard that does firewood and the owner runs a landscape company, not the firewood guys brush and I cant do anything with it

I totally would haul it but I really would rather not, the wood thats in my driveway was going to be milled but its awful short logs, no loss to me to put back in the pile and save for later BUT I want them gone so I have breathing room in the back yard

its like a whole thing involving 3 companies that have to cooperate, I wanna help the guy out and I want the logs out of my way but im not going through the trouble delivering it for him since he wont pay me to
just one of them things where im trying to help a guy out that helps me out all the time, BUT he should have told the landlord he needed his trailer today

Just did 2 bids, small land clearing job and some small ornamental prunes, doing the prunes tomorrow after helping out on a job for another company

Not sure if we have the land clearing one, waiting to hear back

Of course on the prune job there's a white oak with 2 stubs that are being removed, only access is bucket from the road right through or over some wires, yay lol

. I was offered a job running a treemek (pk92) pretty local. Might have to test the waters.
oooh
quick question (since you probably know more than I do)

don't the tires on a knuckleboom have to be on the ground? which is priority, level or tires on ground?
I know any stickboom has to be almost perfectly level with the tires off the ground, my bucket truck is like how im told the knucklebooms are (level AND tires on the ground)

what sayeth you?

Back