How'd it go today?

Last day of a wonderful 3 day job building nesting sites for Eagles in trees.

No pictures, sorry.

Climb up a really tall fir or spruce by the water, find a ring of solid branches near the top.
Cut all other branches above them off, weave them into a foundation for a nest, while tying it all together with strips.
Cut the top of the tree off.
We've done 2 a day with some driving and in particular, hiking, between them.
Got another 6 coming up in a month or so.

Best part was yesterday morning.
We were working in a big Norway spruce when a White tailed Eagle flew by and took a swing around the tree to see what was going on.

This was really a " Are they really paying us for this???" job :D

Last day of a wonderful 3 day job building nesting sites for Eagles in trees.

No pictures, sorry.

Climb up a really tall fir or spruce by the water, find a ring of solid branches near the top.
Cut all other branches above them off, weave them into a foundation for a nest, while tying it all together with strips.
Cut the top of the tree off.
We've done 2 a day with some driving and in particular, hiking, between them.
Got another 6 coming up in a month or so.

We were working in a big Norway spruce when a White tailed Eagle flew by and took a swing around the tree to see what was going on.

As the saying goes, "you, sir, are doing God's work."

Long live the eagle!

Boss said he had something to do this morning, so I shortened grass(hopefully last time this year), and went in late. He shows up and says he forgot, and has to help his girlfriend setup for a show :^S

I went back home, brushed my chimney, and lit the burn barrel to get rid of some brush. I'm finishing that now.

IMG_20231013_183545187_HDR.jpg

Boss said he had something to do this morning, so I shortened grass(hopefully last time this year), and went in late. He shows up and says he forgot, and has to help his girlfriend setup for a show :^S

I went back home, brushed my chimney, and lit the burn barrel to get rid of some brush. I'm finishing that now.

View attachment 132751
Love me a good burn barrel

Most of it is! I had a flareup right when I was stuffing the barrel, and it hit the top of my head under my hat. Made a nice sizzle, and I got that amazing burnt hair smell. Oh well, it grows back. My eyebrows do better than the top of my head :^D

Just an anxious new home owner wondering when you are going to be done.

What would you say the occupancy rate of your nest sites is? Do they find them quickly or is it a if you build it they will come kind of thing? I’m just asking because I have a customer who is s major bird person and has s few trees that would be good nest sites.

My fires last 3-4 days. I use my biggest, fattest logs as my perimeter barricade so they can dry out and partially burn as the fire progresses. Then as I run out of material I start putting the perimeter logs on top of the fire. My last fire burned for 8 days.
Definitely a fairly safe place to burn as it stays pretty moist. I remember an Ocala fire once though.

I started a small pine needle fire by shooting a neighbors flare gun into the air while we were day drinking. The 3 of us found where it landed and put the fire out, thank God.

I’m on day two of a fire right now. A few Sox foot long by three foot diameter, knotted to bell sugar maple logs made it to my log pile. With the amount of firewood I have available there is no need to wrestle them things to end up having a bunch of crooked non stackable pieces. Those were my sides and a bunch of rotten ash and other pieces of crotch wood were in between.

I’m on day two of a fire right now. A few Sox foot long by three foot diameter, knotted to bell sugar maple logs made it to my log pile. With the amount of firewood I have available there is no need to wrestle them things to end up having a bunch of crooked non stackable pieces. Those were my sides and a bunch of rotten ash and other pieces of crotch wood were in between.
Chainsaw it into blocks, no splitting, stacks well except for slippery smooth sides. That way you can get the max thickness that fits in the stove with each piece. Thickness = burn time, not so much length or number of pieces. Sugar maple is worth it. It will burn one chunk at a time on a good bed of coals. Most other wood just smolders unless there's 1 or 2 more pieces in with it.

DSC02593 (1280x1014).jpg

I thought about that when typing. I know a few who hate that word. Not sure why. They don’t mind moisture, it seems.
I'm just being an idiot. Trying to provide some comedic relief, but the reality is that everyone is probably just laughing at me and my innate and uncomfortable weirdness. You've done nothing wrong. You shall pass if you so choose.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In other news, today is a special day because it marks the three year anniversary of when I went into remission from a neurological condition that all but destroyed my early years on this planet. Between 2003 and 2020, I was admitted to a variety of different hospitals throughout the country as often as once per month (twice or even thrice for particularly bad months) for Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome (aka CVS, not to be confused with the Consumer Value Store/Pharmacy haha). I think in total I've been hospitalized (at least) 125 times for an average stay of 4 days per visit for this condition alone.

For those unfamiliar with this relatively rare condition, symptoms would begin completely out of nowhere and present as mild nausea, then progress into unbearable nausea and relentless vomiting (vomiting would continue despite having no stomach contents left to expel or I would throw up bile). The acute fluid loss would cause me to lose motor function, my muscles would begin seize violently and, without going to an ER and receiving IV fluids, antiemetic and pain medication, I would have died. I was completely unable to drink or eat for many days at a time. There is no known cause or cure for CVS and it is poorly understood because very little research is done on it since it rarely leads to death in first world countries. Other than IV fluids, the rest of the time in the hospital was spent simply riding it out, all but wanting to die each time. Doctors quite literally have no other treatments beyond IV fluids other than inducing sleep via a variety of sedative drugs such as Ativan, most commonly.

Anyways, I'm not looking for anyone's sympathy. I'm just sharing with this community a part of my life that is thankfully now in the past going on three years now. After seeking out help from a neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, I was placed on a medication that has since forever changed my life for the better. I'm still astonished that the solution, all along, was so simple and yet countless other professionals were oblivious.

Today I'm reminded that my life could be so much worse and that I should remain extremely grateful, never taking anything for granted. It reminds me to be grateful for a roof over my head, for my family, for my health, for living in America, for having food and clean water, etc. It's so easy to lose sight of just how lucky I am sometimes...but today I am acutely aware and thankful.

Back