How'd it go today?

K booms can be a little out of level but all rubber on the ground. Not sure to what degree they can be out. A lot of the k-booms carry cribbing to drive up on.
Your bucket truck can be out of level as well. Most buckets are within five degrees front to back and side to side. If you need to lift a tire, drive up on cribbing or over lift and then set back down on cribbing.
With both the suspension is factored into the stability of the machines.

Stick cranes are within one degree all around and all rubber in the air. I’ll leave my rears on the ground if I can, just lift enough to take the weight off of them. A lot of times I have to get my rears up high. Most ops say not to do this but as long as your cribbing is proper and you don’t make jerky movements you’ll be alright

Your bucket truck can be out of level as well. Most buckets are within five degrees front to back and side to side.
yup, I level mine side to side but very rarely front to back, my outriggers push the truck sideways off the cribbing, the oddball time I level it front to back I typically do drive up on a stack then barely put the riggers down till they just touch and an extra 2 or 3 inches

ive found through much testing that the orange line isnt so much a "extend past this mark" but a "DO NOT EXTEND PAST THIS MARK"
things get very expensive when you pass that orange mark, so I dont go past the tires more than 2" with them, hence my pads taking up 3 or so inches

edit
last time I tried to level it up was by using the outriggers, thats when the fitting snapped off the cylinder because the truck slid causing the outrigger to torque inside itself
tomorrows setup is in a road, maybe 10 degrees, only way for me to really level up would be to back in, of course ive got a hell of a side reach so its the one time I do actually need it level
edit 2
I wish I had outrigger controls for both outriggers from either side, I HATE running in circles around the truck inching them out to pick the front end up and stack cribbing

doing the math on outrigger loads, my 22000 pound bucket truck has a max outrigger load of 33800# on the 12x12 floats thats 235PSI
on my 24" pads thats down to below 60 PSI

very rarely do I sink an outrigger, but I sure do like to have pads under them, ive had one sink about a foot or so into the ground and thats plenty wobble for me!

K booms can be a little out of level but all rubber on the ground. Not sure to what degree they can be out. A lot of the k-booms carry cribbing to drive up on.
Your bucket truck can be out of level as well. Most buckets are within five degrees front to back and side to side. If you need to lift a tire, drive up on cribbing or over lift and then set back down on cribbing.
With both the suspension is factored into the stability of the machines.

Stick cranes are within one degree all around and all rubber in the air. I’ll leave my rears on the ground if I can, just lift enough to take the weight off of them. A lot of times I have to get my rears up high. Most ops say not to do this but as long as your cribbing is proper and you don’t make jerky movements you’ll be alright
You can always take a vacay up here if you like and smell some different two stroke.
Or stop by TN this sat to meet a gun wielding monkey who ports chainsaws, and see some old saws and loud saw races.

Just crossed paths with Randy’s work last week. Local guy has it for sale. I don’t want to wield a 661 often enough anymore to buy it

Ran the chipper winch all morning, did that job fine, start on the prunes and my chipper decided to dump all the coolant out, yay

Mexican chipper in the chip truck today

Attachments

• 20231017_164643.jpg
    20231017_164643.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231017_164640.jpg
    20231017_164640.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231017_164638.jpg
    20231017_164638.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
No kidding.

The hard part is over now.
The easy part is cutting and stacking....the hard part is to actually find and secure the dang wood in this country.
Maybe you should grow some. Direct seed a plot of whatever grows fastest in that climate. 10 years too late. I'd have a maintained firewood stand on my homestead. This year I'm burning eastern white pine that was growing by the house. Thicker chunks = longer burn time. I'm getting a good 4-6hrs of heat per load. Good enough for outside temps down around 50, maybe 40's.

How does black locust do around you? Grows fairly fast, and if you can get a colony started, they're self replicating.

I got off work early, and brought my poulanpro pr5020 home to do some milling. The wood's tiny, so I figured I'd beat that up instead of my good saws. Stupid recoil came apart, While I was dicking with it, the friggin' clockspring popped out. There's a special place in hell for companies that install clocksprings, but provide no decent way of winding it. Took forever, but I got it back in. The primary problem is the hub spring. It somehow got twisted out of shape, and the recoil won't work. As loathe as I am to put money into that POS, I think I'll pay the ~$3 to get another spring, and see if that fixes it. It's fueled, oiled. and clamped in the mill, so if I can get a spring, it'll be ready to go.

Day got real long after I got home... :^/

So, today's cribbing was horrible, had to set up to even see if the bucket would reach a tree that a customers neighbor wants done, narrow driveway and no spots at all to extend the outriggers completely, almost no side reach tho

Some nice views tho
20231017_180741.jpg

Attachments

• 20231017_181324.jpg
    20231017_181324.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231017_160509.jpg
    20231017_160509.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20231017_160534.jpg
    20231017_160534.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
It's dark now, but I'll see if I can find you some seeds. I forget when they're laying around. Might be earlier than now.

Black locust is slow as far as I know. Softwoods would be the best bet. Poplar, Siberian Elm, White Pine, Sycamore, Dawn Redwood, Silver Maple. I don't know much about cold hardy fast growing trees.

Ran the chipper winch all morning, did that job fine, start on the prunes and my chipper decided to dump all the coolant out, yay

Mexican chipper in the chip truck today
Sucks. Looks like a water pump possibly? Radiator or hose leaks are more towards the front of the engine.

Back