How'd it go today?

Been at at it for a week on and off. Two trees broke from the top of the ledge onto the deck and house. No access to bring stuff down by the deck so we winched everything up above the ledge. It is pretty steep. Winch batteries gave up yesterday so I ended up piecing the last trunk. 20230808_112255.jpg 20230807_150146.jpg 20230804_150317.jpg 20230804_101703.jpg 20230728_164313.jpg

Attachments

• 20230728_070033.jpg
    20230728_070033.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230728_091422.jpg
    20230728_091422.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230728_092609.jpg
    20230728_092609.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Friday is one or two crane jobs, waiting to hear about one

Yall will just have to wait to get pics, I don't wanna spoil it, not sure what size the biggest crane posted here was but I'm about 50% confident I'm going to beat it

Yall will just have to wait to get pics, I don't wanna spoil it, not sure what size the biggest crane posted here was but I'm about 50% confident I'm going to beat it
*spoken with thick country accent* You sure talk the talk, but do you walk the walk? I'll be eyeballing them crane pictures six ways to Sunday! :)

Worked some more on my parents place. Tad more fire safe now and their little trails around the house and back garage are safe and open again. Much more work to go. Still tons of trees broken and hanging or just thrown over.
Part of a cedar needs rigged down over storage shed and then the two main leads cabled.
Still hardly touched our place. Might change once I down size my work week.
Katy goes in to start Iron infusions tomorrow. Im suprised I csn even keep a work schedule anyway.

Honestly I can’t even remember a tree ID question on the test. Probably something about trees I know nothing about and they’re preferred climate or soil conditions. I should probably finish reading the study guide and maybe I’ll know what I screwed up on

Walked that walk Deva - I put on 14lbs when recovering and then got even bigger when I built muscle back.
Exercise never felt better when I started again 👍

I’ve done trees every evening since the storm and will be busy most of next week doing them after work. Lots of “in the next month” removals and trims added to the books due to the storm. Just doing cleanup and making safe.

We lost a smaller black cherry in our woods patch. It hit and is laying across the zip line. That can wait for the weekend. Hard to believe an understory surrounded by giants went ahead and cracked. It was not in the best shape and I would have never allowed it to get too massive due to its defects anyway. I hate losing trees though.

well, I was supposed to be able to bring them a check to the office after I got paid
then they said they have to get the money before the crane leaves the job since its a tree job and they have had some bad experiences

ive got a usual crane company I use that is mostly cash but I can pay with a card later on and he is chill about it

this 210 ton was from a MUCH bigger company, I guess policies are different

oh, and the customer told me he found someone cheaper and that the crane freaked him out, no real way to do that tree without a crane and I hope the cheaper guy is insured

ive got 2 days of phone calls between my customer, and the crane company, lots of paperwork done, all down the drain

once again I need those contracts... I know a lawyer (ive done work for him) that might be able to help me out with that

well, I was supposed to be able to bring them a check to the office after I got paid
then they said they have to get the money before the crane leaves the job since its a tree job and they have had some bad experiences

ive got a usual crane company I use that is mostly cash but I can pay with a card later on and he is chill about it

this 210 ton was from a MUCH bigger company, I guess policies are different

oh, and the customer told me he found someone cheaper and that the crane freaked him out, no real way to do that tree without a crane and I hope the cheaper guy is insured

ive got 2 days of phone calls between my customer, and the crane company, lots of paperwork done, all down the drain

once again I need those contracts... I know a lawyer (ive done work for him) that might be able to help me out with that
That’s a shame. Been there where you do all the work before the work just to not do the work.

A contract with 1/3 down should help you a lot. Maybe even 20% down with only part of it being refundable if they cancel. I rarely do deposits on my tree jobs but it’s all referrals and I don’t rent equipment so no big expense ahead of time.

The plumbing company I’m with requires 1/3 to book the job but it’s fully refundable.

im probably going to start doing 30 or 33% non refundable deductibles, then on crane jobs I will find some way to get paid in full for the crane up front, would hate to get stuck with a $6000 bill for a crane and not get paid for a job

so far ive done ONE job from this storm, its not even finished yet, ive got one im supposed to schedule the 30 ton for, but the guy didnt seem to understand what he was paying for so I dont think im going to do the job, plus he wanted me to shift some prices around so insurance would pay for a tree that wasnt affected by this storm, I get you want to not pick sticks up, and you are worried about limbs over the house but I am NOT interested in scamming your insurance company

as of late most of my work has been for other companies, renting out my equipment and not having the headache of running my company

reminds me that we had some septic work done a few months ago, gas eroded the concrete tank and caused some issues with flooding the yard, the guy made us call 811, and get permits, all he did was dig a trench and do some work with some PVC along with pumping the tank, he was on the job for maybe 3 hours, if I recall it was like $2500 and he has been booked out for months, nothing more than a vac truck, mini ex and pickup, if only tree work was that easy, oh wait it is ive just lost my touch I guess, all this downtime im not in the swing of things any more

Last edited:
Plumbing is fairly money dense. I do residential service calls and average about $1800 an eight hour day. The truck, stocked materials, and gear/tools totals 85K but that is a short very well equipped box truck. So one guy is able to sell and perform the work to generate that money. Obviously there is an office and a shop as well as 2 office personnel. There are 5 of those trucks on the road.

Septic work can be even more lucrative as there are usually very few licenses given out and it’s even more regulated.

Closest I've come to an insurance claim in a long time, bag of cold patch and the customer is chill about it
40" diameter oak with the top 60ft snapped out, we dropped the log across the driveway with logs to catch it, but it jumped the stump different than planned and smacked the driveway, oopsies

20230809_162819.jpg 20230809_161821.jpg 20230809_104802.jpg 16916898812477033821049367719739.jpg

Back