How'd it go today?

Running a new ctx 100 today. I need to get the binder so I can start figuring up how to work on it. Shouldn’t have to for a while but even though it’s much more powerful than the 650tx, things are built lighter on it. The capacities are much better and it feels like ground speed is as well.
Besides work I’ve just been busy with life. Spending more time with my family this summer has improved my demeanor quite a lot. Also cutting back on my online time.
Lunch is over so back at it😎

It's still hot as hell over here in the desert. I tried doing some climbing yesterday in the 108 degree heat, got a line over and was all set up to make some content demonstrating one of my new SRT hitches, but my phone had begun overheating and so it was recording video with decreased quality and then eventually it would stop recording abruptly in an effort to cool down. So I walked over to my apartment and...I put my phone in the freezer for 15 minutes. I then brought it back out and I was able to record about 20 minutes worth of demonstration and dialogue, but it soon began to overheat once again.

My phone wasn't the only thing overheating. I started feeling really weak and I was sweating so much that there was a continuous flow of it into my eyes and my clothes were saturated. At that point, I pulled the proverbial plug. I still had to dismantle everything I put up and carry a ton of gear inside and it honestly pissed me off. I left my throwline in the tree overnight because I aspired to go out this morning at around 6am when it was cooler (94 degrees...not exactly that much cooler). This morning I discovered that, at that particular time of day, the shade I was blessed with below that tree yesterday afternoon gets blasted by the sun. So I muttered a lengthy and impressive string of curse words and took my throwline down.

I give up. I just give up. I'm not even going to try again unless it's at least in the mid-80's for temperature. If I ever earn a substantial amount of wealth, I am going to have a massive indoor facility built where people can go to train for jobs in the rope access and tree climbing industries. I would build replica trees on one side of the facility unlike anything that currently exists which will allow people to get training for a myriad of different climbing situations and styles, for situational preparation, rescue scenarios, rope walks, redirects, throwline practice, friction saver installation, etc. But the best part about this facility...

...will undoubtedly be the industrial grade air conditioning. =-D

Last edited:
Thought of moving? Seriously. If wealth came your way, you could go somewhere awesome like Maine. I've heard tales that the mountains of Tennessee are decent in the summer, but I don't trust other people's opinions on what hot is.

If you wanted to do something silly like climb in the heat, you could try packing your phone in ice. Real ghetto, would be a plastic bag and some ice. A little slicker would be a small cooler with a hole in the top your phone sits on, and a hole in the bottom where a fan blows through ice and exhausts through the top hole.

bid another crane job, 3 trees on a barn, trying out a new app for writing and sending invoices (Yardbook)

meh

oh, remember the job where I put a hole in the driveway? $15 to fix it, and not only did I get a $100 tip, I even got an excellent review (which didnt mention the driveway)

for anyone wanting to cheap out on something, and say "oh well" instead of fixing it, its very rare that you will be saving money, fixing it usually comes back 10 fold!

Last edited:
I wasnt supposed to work today, got called out at 1pm to help a friend out, bucket job on a chestnut oak over single phase primaries, setup was so steep the parking brake in the truck wouldnt hold (chocked all 4 wheels, and anchored the truck to a tree with the winch)

finished that in 4 hours, ran across town and did a small dead elm at my stump guys house, then the church across the street had us come chip up some bradfords that fell apart

doing 4 black locust and a hackberry tomorrow, taking 1 load of logs to a mulch yard, then the second trip is to my stump mans house, he will pull my skid with his truck, load the logs from his job, then take the skid across the street to finish up todays work on that bradford cleanup, then friday we remove the bradfords and grind the stumps

stump guy/church is 5 minutes from my house, church is about 200ft from his place, all in all perfect job IMO

I did a 9 hour work day starting at 1pm, on my day off!

Shopping for a new chipper in the 12" to 15" range. Morbark or Bandit, probably gas rather than diesel. Prices have gone crazy lately!

Shopping for a new chipper in the 12" to 15" range. Morbark or Bandit, probably gas rather than diesel. Prices have gone crazy lately!
What's a 15xp go for nowadays? If I can get one with the cummins I'd go that route myself, or the jd diesel, isn't it 174hp?

My 250xp is an animal up to about 10", 12 with sharp knives

I was looking at google maps and noticed I was captured gathering firewood. Might have been early last spring. It's only interesting cause I haven't spent a ton of time out there. Odds of showing up there were pretty low.

Screenshot_20230818-130900.png

Finished up the day taking care of the hemlocks next to the office. It wasn't a complete deadwooding, but I got rid of the big hangers in the service lines, and the bigger stuff over the driveway. Got out of the primary tree, then figured I'd do the other one since the day was pretty decent for summer. Didn't do the traverse since I didn't have my good gear. Had one dead codom I knew was gonna be an issue, but I wanted it gone. Cut in a face/backcut, and it went nowhere due to being limblocked as I feared. Cut it off the stub and pushed. Should have done that in the first place. Left a substantial stub cause it'll be a good tie in if I go up in the future. Low key work, and a nice way to finish the day.

Back