How'd it go today?

You have so much fun, Stephen. So much :D.
So I have to somehow move my exhaust a tad to get the damn trans back in. Katy rolled in last night with grinding rear brakes. No picnic in the park for my girls today I guess. So both those tasks today. At least the internet is back on..
I hate typing on my phone. I do so much better (even with my hunt peck delete retype method) on a key board.
We have an underground project going on all over the hills that involves placing power underground and more fiber optic. I hear the big trenching wheel or something damaged a line on our part of it yesterday morning.

Last edited:
Transmission is in, exhaust, drive line and clutch slave all set. Slight delay as I needed a more stout 34mm socket and a bigger torque wrench. The output shaft yoke retaining nut was pretty much off the shaft when I dropped the U joint. Hmmmm. Hope the seal holds. Keep an eye on it. The transmission really needs some work any way. Some synchros are giving me trouble. Drivable though. 185 foot pounds of torque on the wrench was required. Mine only went up to 150 and the thin wall socket I had, was just too light and a 12 point rather than a 6. There are times and places for 12 point. Just not on my nuts. Too easy to strip the nut. Little trip into town solved it. But delayed the finished repair and test drive by about an hour.
There was obviously an issue with the clutch that came with the truck. Some one had already changed out the dual mass fly wheel to a single.
I replaced the throw out bearing, clutch forks, dust boot, etc. Wayyyyyyyyy smoother and no where near the effort my bum knee needed for the old one.. I will put a new slave and master hydraulic cylinders later. I have them. Brand new and ready. But it takes two of us to bleed the damn things even after a bench bleed. Rob was on my shit list 1/2 way through the day and we needed to just stay away from each other. So happy with the out come. Even put a new shift lever inner and outer boot in the cab. Other one was torn at the base. They do help keep some of the noise out. Its the little things.
Once I get Katys truck brakes done tomorrow, I'll get back into more with my truck by next week end.
I have one injector not always playing nice. So I have a new one on the shelf to try, but that's another day. Need to put the new fuel pump in as well. I'll probably do that at the same time since the valve cover will be off, giving me more room.
1995 F250 7.3 for reference.
Oh, And I threw in a new starter for the old girl. The teeth on the old fly wheel showed some abuse. Starter was working. But not taking any chances on premature wear.

1995 F250 7.3 for reference.
maybe im missing something
you have the ZF 5 speed right? my reverse synchro went out and try as you might, it would grind like hell as soon as you let the clutch out in reverse
if I recall the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts would also have a very, very lout crunch/bang every now and then
oh and the clutch, felt like maybe pushing the truck would take less force! I drive a 2004 2500 ram with a cummins and a NV5600 currently, its got a fairly stout clutch but nothing like the ole 7.3 had

only issue im having with the NV5600 is the fact there isnt a reverse lockout and the 5th gear gate is maybe 2" from reverse, so the 4-5 shift is extremely un nerving

Yup ZF5.
Have to hit that sweet spot in reverse or grindy grindy. It helps if you bump it in first. Then it usually falls in.
No down shifting to second unles you are damn near stopped. Got to let the spin settle and then she'll go in. 3,4.5 are all ok. But paitience works there. Just let it slide in..
317k on the truck. Its due.

Your vacuum pump fail often? Mine went out once, then the belt snapped once if I remember correctly, second time was 30 minutes into an hour 45 ish drive to bring my chipper home, the chipper was wired with a 4 flat connector so no brakes, 8000 pound chipper with no brakes on an f350 with no power steering or power brakes, and no bed was eventful to say the least

I miss that old truck, I regret selling it even if I did spend more time fixing it than driving it

And even if it was 2wd, wouldn't start if it was hot, no ac, heat barely worked, and would have to prime injectors once a month

Yeah. Vac pump went recent talking a belt with it few miles from home on Fathers day. Discontinued at Ford. Tried to buy an Alliant which is the International OEM. Just got a refund on that. They are now discontinued through them as well. So I bought an aftermarket for a trmp and so far so good. Pre lubed it with some air tool oil to see if that will prolong its life. Just stay away from the rebuilds.
Sounds like you had an IDI. Only hot start issues I had this one was the IPR.
Then after a fuel issue, she sat too long and then I had gremlins to chase.

Spot got another bird this morning...

IMG_20230820_105050607_HDR.jpg

Had some puncture wounds, and I'm walking around the yard trying to find some place to leave it where the cats can't get it. My eyes fall on the woodpile, and I walk up, then think "Snakes...". While in the middle of indecision, it chirped twice and died. I brought it down and gave it back to Spot. She's a nice cat, but I wish she'd leave the wildlife alone aside from mice :^/

Domestic cats are really bad on wildlife. I dislike that above all else about cats. I would never keep one, myself. People that do, I wish they'd keep them indoors. That's not going to happen :).

Did a couple microclimbs today. One of the cherries lost a limb in one of the storms, so I figured I'd climb up and cut it out. Also, the black oak next to the house had some branches brushing the roof, and I got rid of those. I kind of regretted getting into it once I started. I wanted to try remote setting a R-R frictionsaver, and do it mrs, but it was so congested with little branches, I gave up, and left the friction saver in the tree. Reset it as a canopy tied single rope, and went up that way. It's warmer than I'd like, and was a real PITA setting a line with all the obstructions. Add the mosquitoes, and the whole thing was ill conceived for optional work. Should've waited til fall :^D Oh, well. It's done now. Just aggravating.

I rather dislike any task that is accompanied by mosquitoes. Actually, any recreational activity even more so. They can take the shine off just about anything.

Mosquitoes have been bad here this summer. It's been a wet summer. My favorite trail is half boardwalk through wetlands. It was ok this morning, until I stopped to prune low branches, then they'd attack.

Yea, I think they're worse this year also. There's a lot of mosquitoes around here anyway, but this year has been something else. Started off in drought, and then it became periodic 'build an ark' rains. We never get anything normal anymore. "Oh, you need some rain? Here's ALL OF IT!".

edit:
Ordered some fun stuff from amazon also. Did it in four orders cause I kept forgetting stuff. The two things I'm most looking forward to are crimson clover seed, and a steel rock exotica biner for my lanyard. I've been digging having a steel biner on the lanyard for the ease of tossing it around branches, but the uplock mechanism is horribad. It'll become a rigging biner after I get the RE. Rock Exotica started making uplock biners as an option for people who didn't hate their lives quite enough. I have no idea why anyone would pick that option when there's a clearly superior version available at no extra charge.

Last edited:
Domestic cats are really bad on wildlife. I dislike that above all else about cats. I would never keep one, myself. People that do, I wish they'd keep them indoors. That's not going to happen :).
They can be, but what I have observed by having them, is that I supply a variety of preditors with another food source.
Coyotes, hawks, eagles, owls, bob cat, mountain lions.
I can start with 20 and by seasons end, have 5.
Meanwhile the cats kill gophers, mice, rats and ground squirrels. I like it when they get the wood peckers.
Seen wood peckers gang up and kill grey squirrels. Wraptors will hardly take them on.

You make my case for me, Stephen :).

It's not like my being anti-cat will change the cat vs. nature dynamic one iota. Too many of them, too few of me :D. Added to the fact that I don't do anything actively to diminish the cat population. Not my style.

A few of my friends who have cats have outdoor runs for them. Cat flap and out they go into an enclosure alongside the house. Things to clumps, places to lounge in the sun 😎
Feral cats in Oz spread some disease to sheep, outdoor cats are not well liked.

John, you ordered crimson clover. I have listened to the song Crimson and clover by Tommy James about 18 times today (the original and almost every cover version). I’ll listen to that song “over and over” when I thinks about it but that’s only twice a year.

I helped a good friend move today. Loaded UHaul and unloaded at new place. 11 hour day. What killed us was switching the washer and dryer between the old and new houses. Turning a 27” front load at the top of the stairs to fit through a 27” door opening was NO fun.

I love me a steel biner on a lanyard!

So, we have 5 hamsters because the single one we brought home was pregnant and gave birth. There were 8 total but we’ve since adopted 3 out. They are my daughters pets but I spend the most time with them. I totally adore them. Weird, right. Anyway, I told my wife that I’d like to breed Boy and Twinkle. She said absolutely not. Well, she was screaming this morning when there were 2 hamsters in a single enclosure. Boy was with Twinkle. I take them out every evening and let them play in 3 activity areas we built. Maybe I mixed them up putting them back? My wife thinks I did it on purpose and is gunna be pissed if she is pregnant. 🤷‍♂️

So today is first day of school for Lilly High School. As of today, I am her home school teacher two days a week. So I guess I am semi retired now.
Between home schooling and running Katy to the clinic for treatments, I am only working 2-3 days per week not counting being the mechanic.
See how I hold up financially...... or mentally :/:

Slept in a little, small job so it's not that bad right?
Leaving the shop at 11am and it's 92 feels like 108
Feels twice as hot as a few weeks ago when the weather app said a heat Index
of 118, literally took 10 minutes outside loading equipment and now I feel like dying

This 2 hour job might become a 2 day job

Slept in a little, small job so it's not that bad right?
Leaving the shop at 11am and it's 92 feels like 108
Feels twice as hot as a few weeks ago when the weather app said a heat Index
of 118, literally took 10 minutes outside loading equipment and now I feel like dying

This 2 hour job might become a 2 day job
Exactly why it's best to start early regardless of the size of the job. When I have work to do on my trucks or equipment, I will be out there at first light with a flashlight. Usually wrapped up by 9 or 10 and completely drenched by then.

Back