How'd it go today?

Rain day for most of the company. I dropped off a truck for warranty work, looked at a tree that six companies walked from (must not own climbing gear), serviced four pieces of machinery, and welded my grapple back together. Only thing I didn’t get done was my talk with the boss but I mentioned that we need to have a sit down next week. Now I’m gonna start reading up on raised garden beds and try to pin down what my wife wants me build for her. Debating between the metal ones or building with cedar. Cedar is rather pricey around me. I can order the metal kit and have it delivered by Tuesday. Also trying to figure out what to fill with. I like my garden how it is but my wife says it’s too much work. Creates more work for me to do this. She listed off a bunch of advantages but forgot the main one. Happy wife, happy life. So yeah, I’m doing the dang raised beds.
Also waiting to hear back about going to see a pontoon boat. I’m a glutton for punishment😄

my day, went back with the crane to finish up these 5 white pines, demo'd the giant 254T today
2 crane setups, had to move a dumpster, 2 cars and a karen for the second setup, second pic shows how tight it was, had to back up hard against the retaining wall to get the boom far enough from power lines
rained till 11, so all the work the giant did was in 2-3 inches of standing water ontop of red clay, but it seemed to handle it good and didnt tear the ground up despite me turning and forgetting diff lock a few times

edit to add, 14 hour day today!

1682736201604.png 1682736642098.png 1682736433729.png

Last edited:
7 houses infront of the trees, 2 parkinglots for those, second setup was in one big lot with probably 30 houses, all one building but separate apartment type deals, first ive seen
turns out we got the job because I did a job a long time ago for the HOA president, and he was happy with the work!

the crane was quite the attraction today.

That looks like a nice mini loader. Articulation is the way to go
lots better than the skid IMO, a little more sliding when its really sloppy, but jumps curbs a lot nicer and can turn in almost the same space, plus doing 10mph forward and backwards is really sweet, chipper clogged up so I just started carrying brush to the next parkinglot over to keep the crane working while the guys un clogged the chipper, wouldnt have done that with the skid

Is it something you're interested in buying, and is that something you could swing moneywise?

lots better than the skid IMO, a little more sliding when its really sloppy, but jumps curbs a lot nicer and can turn in almost the same space, plus doing 10mph forward and backwards is really sweet, chipper clogged up so I just started carrying brush to the next parkinglot over to keep the crane working while the guys un clogged the chipper, wouldnt have done that with the skid

We are getting close to the 5000 hour mark with our first Giant 254t. Pardon my French, but it is an absolute friggin' tank. It is the most reliable machine we have ever had and it would be the first thing I bought if I had to start all over again.

Thanks for showing me the light Carl! :)

Great post FJR. I feel the same way about my Kubota 520- dollar for dollar the best machine I own.

How does your 254 compare size wise to WoodCutr's?

Is it something you're interested in buying, and is that something you could swing moneywise?
I might try out a bigger machine, in the 15-2300 range, instead of the 1200 tele, but as far as I can see from 3 hours running it, its the only machine that could keep up with the crane yesterday with the job brush drag to another lot
far as im concerned I am buying it, I just dont have $58000 cash right now, so have to wait a year and see, same price as a large mini skid and almost identical capabilities

We are getting close to the 5000 hour mark with our first Giant 254t. Pardon my French, but it is an absolute friggin' tank. It is the most reliable machine we have ever had and it would be the first thing I bought if I had to start all over again.

Thanks for showing me the light Carl! :)
good to hear, with 5000 hours I imagine stuff like cylinders and hydraulic pump, drive motors, steering valve or switches on the stick might show some signs of wear?
ever have to deal with repairs, if so whats that look like money wise compared to something else?
hard to find info about parts online, I have a great dealer an hour away although I havent had to deal with them service or money wise
feel free to PM me with all the info you got on the machine and your thoughts on it!

Helped Mike with a red maple takedown today. Got to spend a decent amount of time with my new to me 170. The saw's kind of gutless. I get a 30cc motor isn't much, but I feel like my 2511 could keep up with it, pulling a bulkier chain. I'm happy with the $117 I have in it, but I couldn't recommend it to others. The echo cs400 absolutely stomps it, doesn't weigh that much more, and only costs $100 extra.

Anyway, it was a good day, and I got out of the house by surprise. Everything went really well.

I texted John while in the tree “you know where we did the ash last weekend?, can you come there to help with the red maple?”

He said “when?”

I said ASAP!! 🤣

I swear that tree grew 30% since I looked at it last, mostly towards the house!

Thank you again John!!

I’ve never had a red maple so slick and “peely”. It was still very wet from all the rain but it just behaved strangely with spurs.

Attachments

• D08DEEB2-1AE3-4181-BAF5-FBC9821E2382.jpeg
    D08DEEB2-1AE3-4181-BAF5-FBC9821E2382.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • D7AD9535-AA09-4B22-BD3B-CED436320832.jpeg
    D7AD9535-AA09-4B22-BD3B-CED436320832.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 8DDBC9A9-7032-4F44-AD27-F0F31B8C7E83.jpeg
    8DDBC9A9-7032-4F44-AD27-F0F31B8C7E83.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • AA4E4C78-382E-4573-9772-5BF209234DB9.jpeg
    AA4E4C78-382E-4573-9772-5BF209234DB9.jpeg