How'd it go today?

Grind it. Not the funnest thing to do being uprooted but it can be done.

Had some pruning to do this morning and then over to the Y-camp for more hazard removals. Even with some challenging crane setups it went good. After that I went to help the landscape crew finish a big mulch job with the mini skid. We moved 40 yards of chips with 3 minis in about two hours and then picked up a shit load of mats and cleaned up. It was a long but good day.

Went to look at a blow down stump for my wife’s long time co worker. She wanted it removed. I was skeptical but said I’d look at it. The thing was bigger than my truck and full of dirt and rocks. I told her she needed a tree service with a full size skid steer. It would still be cheaper than paying me a friend rate for 20 hours and the cost of several 28” and 36” chains. A shame I couldn’t help her though. At least she knows what she needs.
You mean you don't have a 42" super skip blade for your sawzall?

Boss had percs, so I did firewood today. Had to go slow cause of my back. Did a little cutting with my McCulloch, and bent a tooth on something I hit in the disaster pile. Front porch is now overfull with wood, and the rest I get as the mood strikes will go in the backyard.

Got home and after unloading wood, I pulled some burning bush saplings and vines, including poisonivy. Also put an eyesplice in some nasty old hardwarestore 3strand I had in the truck. It isn't perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well, and it was easy as can be. Nice change from the treemaster.

IMG_20230425_125816313_HDR.jpg

Climbing 15 leaning oaks, some spindly, some bigger, over the last two days, leaning out over a fence/neighbouring property.
Lots of lowering, much of it self lowering. I am shattered but got it done with two lads and the Avant.
Made good money, did enough to tire out a man half my age.
Sorry to pat myself on the back here, but the wife just rolls her eyes and says ‘yes dear, very good’

I can do that: " Yes Mick, very good".

Being able to share with people, who actually understand what we are doing, is probably the main reason for being members here.

How is your garden doing?
Pictures would be nice.

I can do that: " Yes Mick, very good".

Being able to share with people, who actually understand what we are doing, is probably the main reason for being members here.

How is your garden doing?
Pictures would be nice.
Give it a few weeks Stig, beginning of June it’s at its best.

Something to look forwards to.
The mail order bride has retired, so the vegetable/flower garden has grown quite a bit.
I'll post pics later.

She "retired" 1½ years ago, since Schweiz has a lower retirenment age than Denmark.
Kept working full time here while collecting retirement pay from home.
Good way to save up some money.

I went out to do a property inspection. Basically bored, and wanted to be outside since the weather's nice. Pulled more vines, and checked out my old blueberries. That bush is on it's last legs. I might get enough blueberries this year for a bowl of yogurt. My new wild ones are doing ok so far. Only had one stem die. Probably didn't come with roots. Found this guy in my patio...

IMG_20230425_151029372_HDR.jpg

Chestnut? I more or less just pulled it out of the ground since it's in sand, and moved it to the top of the hill. I hope it survives. I want to see what it turns into.

Off today to go get the boy some tubes in his ears and remove adenoids. He’s grouchy because he can’t eat now. Depending on how this goes I’ll have a meeting with the boss later about some things and maybe get some more Ibc totes for my firewood
I had that done when young as well. Curtailed most of the ear infections.

Looks like a Chestnut to me, but then I only know the European Castaneum Sativa.

I'm curious where it came from. Not that I know every tree around here, but I do know a lot of them, and I've never seen a chestnut. I've brought seeds home to plant, but never got to it seriously. Stuck them in pots, nothing happened, so I thought "Oh, well..." I've also bought Italian chestnuts around jul, and they're always iffy. I've had bunches that weren't that great, so I put them out for squirrels. I wonder if it came from one of those sources?

It looks a little sad today. I'm hoping it perks up. We're supposed to be getting a bunch of rain, so maybe that'll make it happy. It's transplant wasn't exactly delicate.

I’ll agree with chestnut.
The boy’s surgery went good. He came out of the drugs ( can’t spell the real word for some reason tonight) a bit rough though. Confused and angry. Ten minutes later he was fine. Back to being hungry. Seems to be doing great today.
This morning started good. Didn’t take long to realize I needed a taller crane. Opted to put a line in and hit a hole in the woods instead. Then had to drop a bunch more trees around cabins to finish the day. After work I replaced the lower radiator hose on my moms car. Cussing engineers the whole time. Finally I messed with the bobcat that I may have run out of fuel last night. Couldn’t get it to prime. Finally when I completely filled the tank I was able to get it going. Now I’m praying the pick up tube didn’t break off inside the tank. I’ll run it for a while tomorrow night and should know after I use a few gallons.

We have been at the never ending lot clearing gig, took out another 22 trees. Hopefully for the last time during construction. This is the third revision of the septic location. It’s like the builders are deliberately messing with the tree hugger owner. But everyone is happy so I’ll cash the check.

Boss had paperwork, so I broke wood on the farm. Brought it home, and moved a double width pallet to the backyard to stack it. I had to move some old wood on a rotten pallet to get it to fit. Snake!

IMG_20230427_110847535_HDR.jpg
At least four actually. Two adults and two kids. I ruined their home. Hopefully they like the new one well enough. While I was wheelbarrowing wood to the back, I saw this growing amongst an overgrown boxwood...

IMG_20230427_121126622_HDR.jpg

That is dogwood, right?! I can't find leaf pics that showed a serrated leaf. Also I learned that boxwood branches touching the ground will sprout roots. I cut a limb off to give the dogwood(?) more room, and it came up from the free end with roots. I thought "Hmm... I could plant that somewhere..." I then thought "Dude... It's boxwood. That's like free dogshit. Yea, you could use it as fertilizer or something, so it's technically useful, but it's dogshit" :^D I'll have to cut a bunch more off, but I want to figure out where I'm going with it.

Garter snakes rock.

I believe that is pagoda dogwood.

It is one of the plants I recognize from my childhood home. That ever happen to any of you- as a tree person in your adult life you encounter a plant that you fully recognize from when you were a kid but didn't know the name of nor really care about at the time?

Hmm... an image search of cornus alternifolia isn't showing serrated leaves. Could it be some kind of mutation?

I was out derping around the yard again, doing miscellaneous stuff, and got back into the thicket next to the drive. Sapsuckers have really worked the yew over...

IMG_20230427_135756657_HDR.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen that many holes. It's growing from the base of my huge locust at ~30°. Kinda stupid, but it isn't hurting anything, so why not?

I'm leaning towards that myself, but I haven't found a pic of the exact flower/leaf pattern. I haven't looked real hard either though. I'll give it a better shot in the coming days.

Off today cause of rain. I think I found my first tick bite last night. Couldn't verify cause I can't see for shit, but there was something tiny and dark that came off in the shower, and it itches like a tick bite. Lets recap...

When most people say the weather's nice out you get...

Mosquitoes
Ticks
Miscellaneous insectoid annoyances
Sweaty
Sunburned
Pointless work(shortening grass)
But hey! Girls are wearing fewer clothes, so I guess that's something.

When I say the weather's nice out you get...

Pretty snow
Nothing that bites
Delicious rich foods
Whisky

Who makes more sense here?

The plastic on the poly tunnel was done for and needed changing.
I have been Sooooooooooooooooo tired of Water voles digging into the tunnel and eating my veggies from below.
So I decided to put stainless steel netting down around the whole thing.
Should take care of the problem.

2023-04-28 17.33.30.jpg

Last edited:
Back